Wednesdays fans forum - whos going from here? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Wednesdays fans forum - whos going from here?

I don’t believe we’ve ever sold out for two consecutive games. Certainly not in my time supporting (since 1992/93).

Did we ever sell out in the Championship? I think Leeds in the cup is our highest home attendance of the Scally era isn’t it (other than the 15,000 vs Wycombe in 96/97 - again in the FA Cup)
Johny come lately!

Should be just as cheap and quick to do in the club site or emails.

Unless the IT doesn't easily allow it.

Gills twitter has 90,600 followers. Even if one tweet is viewed by 25% of them thats some reach in one tweet.

Im sure there are IT tools for email shots as well

I don’t believe we’ve ever sold out for two consecutive games. Certainly not in my time supporting (since 1992/93).

Did we ever sell out in the Championship? I think Leeds in the cup is our highest home attendance of the Scally era isn’t it (other than the 15,000 vs Wycombe in 96/97 - again in the FA Cup)
Ah, the exaggeration that comes with the passage of time ! When we played Wycombe in the Cup it was a replay in 1995/96 and the gate was 8,585. Sell outs only became a thing once games started being ticketed on a regular basis. Remember for years it was just turn up on the day and pay at the turnstiles. So there were no advance tickets for the Everton home games giving us crowds of 15,000 and 17,000.

In the Championship we rarely had a complete full house although we definitely did for the West Ham game. I can’t remember whether we restricted admission when the Town End was still terracing, as opposed to seating. We never had un allocated tickets for seating. It was always buy a ticket for a named seat. There was an argument to do what Millwall did which was to sell seats on an unallocated basis so you could come early as a group of friends and sit together.

Ah, the exaggeration that comes with the passage of time ! When we played Wycombe in the Cup it was a replay in 1995/96 and the gate was 8,585.

Any statto can look up attendances but the real fans (like me) in the ground that night will confirm there were at least 15,000 crammed in the ground that night. The 10,000 of us in the Rainham End laughed in unison when the attendance was read out.

No coincidence that 8585 is the Casio equivalent of BS BS.

Planning permission has lapsed for the stand that was going to built there.
Anything with a roof would be objected to by the houses behind it as it would block sunlight from going into their gardens.
I’m sure the “temporary” open stand puts off many away fans from coming and contributes to what many opposing fans see as the worst away day experience in the league. So ultimately it’s costing the club money over the longer term.

Small point but the usual type of ‘rail‘ safe standing has exactly the same capacity as seating because either there’s a pull down seat in each space, or each position is the same as a seat space. However the general consensus that it needs replacing I’m fully in support of. I don’ t know if anyone else has noticed but if you look at the centre line of the stand, there’s a distinct dip towards the middle. I think that it won’t be long before the whole thing is condemned.

With rail seats I believe technically the ratio between seated capacity and standing capacity can be different, but obviously depends on our regs.

1:1 is the current norm here but I believe years ago Everton were pushing for 1:1.5 in their new stadium, so eg 5,000 seated mode vs 7,500 standing mode.

I say seating vs standing mode but at the moment this country has a pathetic form of rail seating rather than the lockable, flat surface ones abroad.

Fair point Lark re: the roof. I was assuming a greater capacity than currently as we’re only using the front half of the BMS, and with no home fans in it.

Maybe you could have a smaller version of the current full-height BMS but with a roof, but then it would still impact certain houses in the GRS.

Any statto can look up attendances but the real fans (like me) in the ground that night will confirm there were at least 15,000 crammed in the ground that night. The 10,000 of us in the Rainham End laughed in unison when the attendance was read out.

That was my first full season supporting Gills and missed it as me and my dad were only doing games here and there at that time. The Coventry game was ridiculous though, I loved it 😂 Best bundle I’ve been involved in.

IMG_5904.jpeg

With rail seats I believe technically the ratio between seated capacity and standing capacity can be different, but obviously depends on our regs.

1:1 is the current norm here but I believe years ago Everton were pushing for 1:1.5 in their new stadium, so eg 5,000 seated mode vs 7,500 standing mode.

I say seating vs standing mode but at the moment this country has a pathetic form of rail seating rather than the lockable, flat surface ones abroad.

Fair point Lark re: the roof. I was assuming a greater capacity than currently as we’re only using the front half of the BMS, and with no home fans in it.

Maybe you could have a smaller version of the current full-height BMS but with a roof, but then it would still impact certain houses in the GRS.
Would not a more upright stand be more cost effective?
IE you could then build facilities behind it to bring in revenue.A second club bar would be a massive boost to takings and could be used for home and away fans when practical.
If it was a upright two tier stand then it would be easy to split the stand with the away fans using one level only.

Having got planning permission in the past makes it far more likely that a new application would be approved. In the jargon it’s known as a ‘favourable planning history’. It’s a sort of precedent.

LOL. There were actually 3 full houses in that 95/96 season and Wycombe certainly wasn't one of them.

I had a terrace ST for the middle one (v PNE) and due to working late I didn't arrive until 2.55. The turnstiles were all shut and I had to bang on the Directors Entrance Door and watched the game at below pitch level with the St Johns lot next to the Main stand.

That was my first full season supporting Gills and missed it as me and my dad were only doing games here and there at that time. The Coventry game was ridiculous though, I loved it 😂 Best bundle I’ve been involved in.

View attachment 71435

I was going to mention that game as well - the only time it felt fuller was Everton or Sunderland/Swindon in the playoffs

Would not a more upright stand be more cost effective?
IE you could then build facilities behind it to bring in revenue.A second club bar would be a massive boost to takings and could be used for home and away fans when practical.
If it was an upright two tier stand then it would be easy to split the stand with the away fans using one level only.
I think we can build a concrete stand but I don’t like the idea of a two-tiered stand with massive height restrictions. I don’t feel small-ish stands should have lower and upper tiers if they’re going to be small.

You could get away with it at the Medway Stand with the exec boxes in the middle and the club facilities in a lot of the upper but not in the BMS.

Besides, I’m grumbling about getting 6k in the basement league. We should be getting bigger crowds and, hoping, we make our way back up the leagues, we shouldn’t think of hemmed-in Priestfield as being our medium- to long-term home.

That’s why I don’t want us building off-field revenue streams, not that they would guarantee a return in that area anyway.

I think we can build a concrete stand but I don’t like the idea of a two-tiered stand with massive height restrictions. I don’t feel small-ish stands should have lower and upper tiers if they’re going to be small.

You could get away with it at the Medway Stand with the exec boxes in the middle and the club facilities in a lot of the upper but not in the BMS.

Besides, I’m grumbling about getting 6k in the basement league. We should be getting bigger crowds and, hoping, we make our way back up the leagues, we shouldn’t think of hemmed-in Priestfield as being our medium- to long-term home.

That’s why I don’t want us building off-field revenue streams, not that they would guarantee a return in that area anyway.
I was thinking of it being not much deeper than the Gordon road stand or maybe double that at most .Then the light would not be a problem if all building behind the stand was single storey.

How much did yer make?
Didn't we sell out against Everton?
Wasn't even tempted even though I remember being offered £50 by two desperate fans for a ticket that possibly only cost about £15. I was so sure that this would be the one win we needed to stay up & all would be ok. Course we fucked it up and drew 1-1 and got relegated at Forest the following week.
As for Everton, that was way back in the 80's and a tight sqeeze in a packed Priestfield of over 17,000. Fucking Cascarino.

Gills twitter has 90,600 followers. Even if one tweet is viewed by 25% of them thats some reach in one tweet.

Im sure there are IT tools for email shots as well
Agreed but why dont they also use those tools and why dont they update the club website.