Wednesdays fans forum - whos going from here? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Wednesdays fans forum - whos going from here?

Attended last night & for me the highlight of the evening was Robbie Stockdale who injected a sense of humour into proceedings.

The Galinsons as ever came across as genuinely nice people. All the panel spoke well & were as honest & open as they could be.

Clearly the objective of this season remains promotion but sadly I'm not not sharing KJ's optimism of automatic.

Seems that concerns over Josh Andrews' fitness are misplaced & totally accept the rationale given for this window's transfer business.

Read elsewhere on social media how some fans were disappointed by the blandness of the questions asked. For those expecting a roasting of the panel this is not going to happen. Nor should it. We should compare & contrast these events with the David Brent like comedy gold that was the Chairman's Chat.

It staggers me that anyone could prefer the route we we taking under Harris. It was clear from last night that Kenny and Harris had a different vision.The direction Harris wanted to take was largely similar to Evans the tactics might have been slightly different and the voice very different. But both would have cost the club and therefore the fans money that largely the fans don't have .
The January transfer window was very different under Clemence.He definitely believe that he and Robbie can improve players and develop a team.
Surely that is Gills best bet of achieving success.
That makes sense and I actually wonder whether Brad's early admission that he and Shannon were somewhat naive due to the urgency in staying in the league last season and the steep learning curve (plus being American:LOL:) may explain why they seemed to have been perfectly happy for NH to continue in the summer and make signings, then decide to change direction at such an odd time.

Perhaps accepting that they had to make one step back to make two forward, and over a longer period.

Regarding the January Transfer window, I think Andrews and the player from Welling are the only two "young" players that are 22 and below. Hutton is 25 and the other two are only loans. Even under Harris, we had signed Coleman, Orji, Ogie and Clarke and the B Team was already up and running.

Is Ogie playing any better since being coached by SC? The jury is out on that one IMO.

Maybe SC is better at bringing out the long term creativity but I really don't think we look as organised defensively in recent times.

That makes sense and I actually wonder whether Brad's early admission that he and Shannon were somewhat naive due to the urgency in staying in the league last season and the steep learning curve (plus being American:LOL:) may explain why they seemed to have been perfectly happy for NH to continue in the summer and make signings, then decide to change direction at such an odd time.

Perhaps accepting that they had to make one step back to make two forward, and over a longer period.

Regarding the January Transfer window, I think Andrews and the player from Welling are the only two "young" players that are 22 and below. Hutton is 25 and the other two are only loans. Even under Harris, we had signed Coleman, Orji, Ogie and Clarke and the B Team was already up and running.

Is Ogie playing any better since being coached by SC? The jury is out on that one IMO.

Maybe SC is better at bringing out the long term creativity but I really don't think we look as organised defensively in recent times.
If you look at the defensive players overall input I think there have definitely been positives.Yes Ogie has made a few errors.But SC is asking him to step out of defence that is when for the most part he had made errors.In my view some of it is down to the absence of Malone all too often.
Harris often had six defensive players.Clemence has four .This of course puts more pressure on those four players.

I had nothing better to do for an hour and half so tuned in live.
Questions as expected
Answers as expected
So, I got what I expected.
Kenny’s response to the Andrews question was the most enlightening.
Sign him now, injured, or risk not getting him in the summer.
I hope he’s worth the gamble.
Most of the young new signings have worked out ok.

The bigges thing for me was the difference in personalities between Clemence and Stockdale. Seems to me they might be better off switching their roles???? Stockdales personality might be exactly what the players need to elevate their levels

Can certainly see where you’re coming from but I also think you’re falling into the trap of ‘the person with the loudest personality should be in charge’ (are you familiar with the works of Boris Johnson or Donald Trump?).

I agree, Robbie Stockdale’s personality is infectious - a very likeable (and clearly knowledgeable) guy. This is a big plus for us. As head coach it’s up to SC to make the most of the resources around him and I’m sure the squad feel the benefit of RS’ words without him having to be in charge.

Second edition of The Home of the Shouting Men being made!

I don't really do regrets, but I bitterly regret selling my first edition, I loved that book, but I was a desperately poor student and even 20 years ago it was worth over 100 quid. 😕
Not only a second edition Herr but a reprint of the first too

I thought Clemence came across very well, thoughtful, knowledgeable and sure of himself despite his quieter manner. Stockdale was forthright and entertaining, the northerner in the room as he described himself. He was playing to the gallery, trying to inject some humour. He's probably a bit impatient too.

We have had 4 events in 13 months, the communication from the club is consistently better and the owners are popular. I think we need to adjust our expectations for these events. Fireworks unlikely. I note that every suggestion and complaint was listened to and addressed often with undertakings. No dismissals, no defensiveness. Progress can seem boring after long conflict.

Watched the show last night - more interesting than enlightening but, enjoyable nonetheless.

SC is clearly an advocate of the modern coaching trend and takes his stats very seriously. Stockdale comes across as more of a traditional coach who, perhaps, relies more on what his eyes and ears are telling him than what the graphs and pie charts suggest. As a coaching pair, that could be a good blend. If SC had a little more of RS`s confident poise some might find him a little more assuring.

Interesting about the January recruitment. We got three forwards in but at least two sound like very late decisions. I can`t help reflecting on Gills Horse`s suggestion about a contract and the Posh man (JCH). GH is usually right about his suggestions and an ambitious move would make sense in terms of the recent apparent vigour and determination of BG to correct our dismal scoring drought. If that suggestion is right - and I don`t see why it shouldn`t be - setting up another Fan Forum on the strength of a super-signing would have been understandable. IF we were prepared to put a contract offer to JCH, then we`d have needed permission to approach and co-operation agent-wise. To write that off as a shot-in-the-dark-whim might be a tad flippant. Perhaps, if we get promoted, we`ll have another try at the end of the season and up JCH`s signing-fee considerably, on the basis of not having to pay a sizeable transfer fee.

Of course, I wish our new guys every success and back them, support them totally (thought: long term target Andrews would be an ideal partner for someone like JCH) but, i`m still not convinced that on February 2nd we (GFC) was where it intended to be as far as strike force replenishment is concerned.

However, we`re still a club on-the-up and we still have a good chance of success with the team we have right now. Did SC say "seventeen games left" - crikey, hasn`t the season gone quickly ? UTG.

Yes it was interesting that 2 of the 3 forwards we signed were deals that only came up in the last few days of the window, when you’d think Kenny had since the close of the previous window to be working on targets.
I wonder if deals for other longer term targets fell through and we moved onto Andrews and Hurtado when other transfers did not happen?
There wasn’t any discussion on Walker from what I saw, perhaps he was one who was lined up more in advance of the move.

If that suggestion is right - and I don`t see why it shouldn`t be - setting up another Fan Forum on the strength of a super-signing would have been understandable.
Alternatively, it’s just a date that coincided with the Galinsons being in the country and the Jan business is out of the way? Suspect the boring answer is much more likely, it’s not like any other fan forums were tied into big announcements.

Alternatively, it’s just a date that coincided with the Galinsons being in the country and the Jan business is out of the way? Suspect the boring answer is much more likely, it’s not like any other fan forums were tied into big announcements.
True.

Second edition of The Home of the Shouting Men being made!

I don't really do regrets, but I bitterly regret selling my first edition, I loved that book, but I was a desperately poor student and even 20 years ago it was worth over 100 quid. 😕

When did you sell it mate? I bought my copy around 20 years ago....

The interesting thing I don’t think has been picked up on is SC’s comments on Shaun Williams, especially in light of some of the assumptions that have been made about him.

Full of praise for his attitude and commitment, and putting his non-appearances solely down to his own selection decisions, not really having a role for him and the form of Coleman.

Came across genuine but could always be a case of a manager protecting players/trying to keep issues (if there were any) in house, either way was nicely addressed.

The interesting thing I don’t think has been picked up on is SC’s comments on Shaun Williams, especially in light of some of the assumptions that have been made about him.

Full of praise for his attitude and commitment, and putting his non-appearances solely down to his own selection decisions, not really having a role for him and the form of Coleman.

Came across genuine but could always be a case of a manager protecting players/trying to keep issues (if there were any) in house, either way was nicely addressed.
I don’t think anyone suggested he was a trouble-maker, but rather is surplus to requirements. We assume he’s on high wages so to me it’s a waste paying him these wages unless we offer him a player-coach role.

The biggest takeaways for me was what was not said.

1. Nobody cares about Scally’s involvement now. There were no questions asked in the room, and none of the keyboard warriors on other SM platforms felt strongly enough to turn up to ask a question.

2. Brad and Shannon are hands off which is great from a sustainability point of view. They clearly trust the team around them especially Joe Comper.

3. Everyone (apart from GBN 😉) has moved on from Harris. I was really surprised that there was no mention of his departure and the new direction.

Football fans are a funny breed and don’t understand the complexities involved in doing something that might seem really simple at face value. Scally probably wouldn’t have explained the legal difficulties of producing retro shirts. And he wouldn’t have explained the complexities of proving a space for smokers. It’s great for openness and Joe Comper seems to be all over his brief.

Last edited:
I thought Clemence came across very well, thoughtful, knowledgeable and sure of himself despite his quieter manner. Stockdale was forthright and entertaining, the northerner in the room as he described himself. He was playing to the gallery, trying to inject some humour. He's probably a bit impatient too.

We have had 4 events in 13 months, the communication from the club is consistently better and the owners are popular. I think we need to adjust our expectations for these events. Fireworks unlikely. I note that every suggestion and complaint was listened to and addressed often with undertakings. No dismissals, no defensiveness. Progress can seem boring after long conflict.

Thats a great summary. Non confontational and a willingness to listen and try to address supporters concerns. What more could people want.

Progress can seem boring after long conflict but we are making steady progress and that something we darent have dreamed off 18 months ago.