Wednesday sack Pulis. | Vital Football

Wednesday sack Pulis.

theothersuffolkred

Vital Squad Member
Any one think that EM might might look at the stats and be thinking about doing the same to Hughton?
Pulis managed 7 points out of 30 available with 1 win, in the same period we've managed 5 points from 30 with 1 win.

What is interesting is that, unless they sack Hughton tomorrow and appoint on Thursday, the regime will not necessarily be able to just pluck a random foreign name out of a hat and appoint them as manager.

A manager needs to have five years at the top level of a top league or have international experience. Greece is not considered a top league.

Lamouchi would have gotten a work permit but a number of other names we were linked with in the past would likely not have done

What is interesting is that, unless they sack Hughton tomorrow and appoint on Thursday, the regime will not necessarily be able to just pluck a random foreign name out of a hat and appoint them as manager.

A manager needs to have five years at the top level of a top league or have international experience. Greece is not considered a top league.

Lamouchi would have gotten a work permit but a number of other names we were linked with in the past would likely not have done

It's fairly obvious from the players that we have had from there that Greece is a complete fucking joke league and any achievement that EM has ever had with Olympiacos is not worthy of the name achievement.

At last a positive to come out of Brexit then I suppose

Strange decision from Wednesday, Pulis (like Hughton) inherited a squad of players (allegedly that did not get paid on time in November & PFA made aware that December payments not yet made either) & unless they have someone already lined up - the new man will have exactl the same problems to deal with!

Wednesday made the announcement late on Monday.

"The performances and results have not been of the level expected since Tony Pulis was appointed," chairman Dejphon Chansiri said in a statement on the club website.

"There are also other issues which have had a bearing on this decision."

Most of my mates who are Wednesday fans seem even more fatalistic than us, plus the added bonus they all hate their idiot owner.

Wednesday made the announcement late on Monday.

"The performances and results have not been of the level expected since Tony Pulis was appointed," chairman Dejphon Chansiri said in a statement on the club website.

"There are also other issues which have had a bearing on this decision."

Yes, he asked if he could sign some new players in January; that would have gone down well, especially if the rumours that Chansiri has done all of his cash are true.

Are there any statistics out there that confirm how Clubs in their position, our position for that matter, fare with a change in Manager?

I would guess that in all but a few isolated instances the difference is negligible.

You would have thought that what with the Clubs financial results and performances not coming up to the levels required by the FL, which resulted in the points deduction, Chansiri would have done the decent thing and fired himself.

Yes, he asked if he could sign some new players in January; that would have gone down well, especially if the rumours that Chansiri has done all of his cash are true.

Are there any statistics out there that confirm how Clubs in their position, our position for that matter, fare with a change in Manager?

I would guess that in all but a few isolated instances the difference is negligible.

You would have thought that what with the Clubs financial results and performances not coming up to the levels required by the FL, which resulted in the points deduction, Chansiri would have done the decent thing and fired himself.
I depends entirely on the competence of the new appointee.

Watford had multiple managers per year and not only got promoted like that but stayed up- until they didn't.

We got relegated with three managers in a year (one being an extended caretaker) and nearly got relegated that way in 2016

I depends entirely on the competence of the new appointee.

Watford had multiple managers per year and not only got promoted like that but stayed up- until they didn't.

We got relegated with three managers in a year (one being an extended caretaker) and nearly got relegated that way in 2016

Yes, Watford do appear to be a law unto themselves as far as Managers go, but changing Managers when you are relatively pressure free is not the same as changing when relegation is looming.

It certainly did not work for them last season, and it remains to be seen if it will work this season; I cant say I have been too impressed when seeing them play.

Yes, Watford do appear to be a law unto themselves as far as Managers go, but changing Managers when you are relatively pressure free is not the same as changing when relegation is looming.

It certainly did not work for them last season, and it remains to be seen if it will work this season; I cant say I have been too impressed when seeing them play.
I rather suspect that a change of manager would be the death of our survival prospects this season.

I'm not convinced that not changing won't bring the same result though

I think if you have an actual succession strategy and some kind of footballing philosophy, you can change managers regularly without it being a disaster. Swansea seem to have consistently appointed sensibly within the last 10 years - with the odd dud like Bradley - hence why a few of their former managers are now managing in the Premier League. We just appoint crap managers who are usually nothing like the previous one. Then we have to sign a whole new squad to try and make it work. Rinse and repeat.

There is a small up tick in PPG but in the long run it's actually a slightly worse decision to sack a manager than have faith in your current one. The small bounce is also suspect because plotting a point from a bottom of a curve...

Obviously that's big picture, there will always be outliers.

I think if you have an actual succession strategy and some kind of footballing philosophy, you can change managers regularly without it being a disaster. Swansea seem to have consistently appointed sensibly within the last 10 years - with the odd dud like Bradley - hence why a few of their former managers are now managing in the Premier League. We just appoint crap managers who are usually nothing like the previous one. Then we have to sign a whole new squad to try and make it work. Rinse and repeat.

"Swansea seem to have consistently appointed sensibly within the last 10 years - with the odd dud like Bradley......"

Unfortunately that footballing philosophy ended when Hugh Edwards was side lined in 2015

Their run of managers since has been:

Gary Monk appointed Feb 2014 lasted just short of two years - this is when the rot started

Alan Curtis - caretaker 40 days

Fransesco Guidolin - lasted 259 days

Bob Bradley - lasted 85 days

Alan Curtis - Caretaker - 7 days

Paul Clement - 351 days

Leon Britten - caretaker - 7 days

Carlos Carvalho - 141 days

It took the appointment of Graham Potter to steady the ship; Potter was appointed by the newly recruited Chairman Trevor Birch

With unpaid wages, you wonder whether the EFL may, in the light of an existing legal challenge for the points deduction being halved, revisit that situation.

Surely sacking Pulis has wasted even more money for SWFC!!

To say how successful they've been Leicester have worked their way through a fair few managers, as have Watford. (Didn't they have three in a promotion season !?)