Wed 10 Nov 1982 | Vital Football

Wed 10 Nov 1982

60p under the floodlight in the junior section. Devonshire taken off injured?, Now he was a player. The imps were majestic that night although I could have been high on the smell of deep heat or winter green?

Still the most awesome, dominant second half performance against top quality opposition by an Imps side I've EVER seen, after a tightly contested first half.

It was a tidal wave of attack after attack. They must have been shell shocked, and it's unbelievable they got away with a draw on the night.

One odd fact I remember from that game was that Stuart Hall,who was a youth player,was about to come on as sub when Bell scored. So Stuart did not come on and I don't think he played for City at all after that night.

Still not sure how much of a fluke Sandy Clark's goal was - he seemed surprised when it went in.

Great night that. We were in the old South Park stand for this one. The biggest home crowd I’ve seen us play in front of. 13,899. Even had a live Radio Lincs commentary, which was rare at the time. Got my mum to record it on tape. Was there any news cameras there? Don’t think I‘be ever seen the goals.

I listened to it on radio Lincolnshire, the replay was on national radio from memory? Never seen the goals from either game such a shame.
The goals from the win over Tottenham the year are on YouTube.

The replay was postponed very late in the day due to a water logged pitch. I was on a coach outside Upton Park when we heard the news. It was pouring down with rain and our coach was surrounded by hostile Hammers venting their frustrations. It was in the height of 80s football violence and about as intimidating as you could get. Eventually the police waded in and saved the day. Not a great away day.

One and only time i sat in the old st andrews stand... i think WH scored a very good long range goal ~ and thats all i remember apart from the big crowd and feeling a bit worried.

One odd fact I remember from that game was that Stuart Hall,who was a youth player,was about to come on as sub when Bell scored. So Stuart did not come on and I don't think he played for City at all after that night.

I think his ONLY appearance for the first team was when he came off the bench in the Football League Trophy game against Norwich City at Sincil Bank about a month later. Otherwise he was only ever an unused sub' for various games.

I was there but don’t remember a great deal of the match itself, I was stood on the SB terrace and remember towards the end of the game it think a group of around 6 or 7 WHU fans, ( probably ICF) making themselves known in our section, looking for a fight. Everyone just gave them space and carried on watching the match and they ended up looking a bit foolish

Was there and remember it mostly for the incessant and really loud sponsors music played through a tannoy right above our heads:
"Milk has gotta lotta bottle".

Was there and remember it mostly for the incessant and really loud sponsors music played through a tannoy right above our heads:
"Milk has gotta lotta bottle".

Yes I remember that. I'm sure there was a big plastic milk bottle in the centre circle also.

West Ham line up that night :-

Starting lineup:
Goalkeeper Phil Parkes
Defender Paul Brush
Defender Alvin Martin
Defender Ray Stewart
Defender Neil Orr
Defender/Midfielder Billy Bonds
Midfielder Paul Allen
Midfielder Alan Devonshire
Midfielder Geoff Pike
Forward Sandy Clark
Forward Paul Goddard
Substitutions:

Substitutions:
François Van der Elst

No playing the kids in those days. Cracking game and we very nearly turned them over in the replay at Upton Park

A truly great night at Sinny Bank under lights, against one of the best Hammers sides they've had, having just beaten Champions Liverpool and Man Utd 3-1 a fortnight earlier. They were a close 3rd in the Div 1 table at the time (or is my nostalgic mind playing tricks?)
The attendance of 13,899 was almost 6k down on what my great uncle Les Edwards (who worked the gates) claimed it was (unofficially of course)

Last edited:
A truly great night at Sinny Bank under lights, against one of the best Hammers sides they've had. They were 2nd in the Div 1 table at the time (or is my nostalgic mind playing tricks?)

Not far off - they were 3rd, behind - er Manchester City - and Liverpool (top).

Comparing the First Division table then to today, 12 clubs are now in the Premier League, 7 in the Championship, 2 in League One and 1 non-league (quiz question, which one?)