Weather conditions Saturday(windy) | Vital Football

Weather conditions Saturday(windy)

devonexlondonimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Forecasts are for high winds 40mph decreasing at 16.00

This nearly always reduces the option of playing the Brazilian way and the wind becomes a leveller.

I just hope Smithy our keeper has seen this video and takes precautionary action in the event of inclement conditions......extreme winds.

Never have really understood the theory behind wind making the short passing game unplayable,surely the wind will have a much greater impact on long balls splayed about rather than short. I guess it ruins both styles but would have thought short passes and keeping possesion would be the most effective style in high winds.

When i see high wind numbers forecast prior to a match my expectation for an entertaining game diminishes. .....just a personal view.
conditions become a leveller.

I know there are some gaps and our stands aren’t the biggest but I always think it can’t be as bad at pitch level - especially if the ball is on the deck. Some shelter.

When i see high wind numbers forecast prior to a match my expectation for an entertaining game diminishes. .....just a personal view.
conditions become a leveller.
Yes, I can't remember seeing too many games in high wind that have stuck in my mind. I did see a goalie take a goal kick and it came back in the wind and ended up near the corner flag and went out of play, can't remember for the life of me who was playing though.

I've got one weather app saying 28mph winds and another saying 48mph winds, both from the SW at 3pm tomorrow. I wonder what speed winds have to reach for it to become a health and safety issue.? These days, probably not much more than that. I hope the 1st ones right, not going to much fun in nearly 50mph gusts.

The match could be decided by a coin toss!
YES, it can influence maters. With the wind 1st half then our opponents can`t get past the half way line.
go in at ht 3-0 up and then backs to the wall for the last 45 mins.....happy days.
shades of Morcambe at home?

Just as an aside if the winds on Saturday were high i can`t see DC turning to Shacks in the dressing room prior to the game and advising him to kick against the wind if we win the toss.

Not expecting a classic then, does tend to ruin the game. Same for both sides though, as long as we end up with the points...

YES, it can influence maters. With the wind 1st half then our opponents can`t get past the half way line.
go in at ht 3-0 up and then backs to the wall for the last 45 mins.....happy days.
shades of Morcambe at home?

Just as an aside if the winds on Saturday were high i can`t see DC turning to Shacks in the dressing room prior to the game and advising him to kick against the wind if we win the toss.

There are arguments for playing into a very strong wind in the first half. They fall into two categories, physical and mental. Physically the players should be fitter in the first half, defenders are likely to be able to battle against a onslaught of airial attacks better than when they are tiring in the second half.
Mentally it’s also easier to battle the conditions in the first half with the consolation of knowing that in a few minutes you will be able to turn around and inflict the same onslaught on the opposition. Much harder defending in the second half knowing that’s your lot for the rest of the game.

You still have to play well, the conditions never won a match on their own. Defend badly and concede a couple of goals and the incentive to put in that extra effort for the side playing against the wind will have been provided.

But personally I would always play against the wind, praying the elements do n’t die down at half time.