We need to talk about... | Vital Football

We need to talk about...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... MA's complete failure to manage the first phase of the game.

The stats are in - we go 1 down 90% of the time owing to completely lethargic starts.

MA is responsible for this.

Sort it.

... MA's complete failure to manage the first phase of the game.

The stats are in - we go 1 down 90% of the time owing to completely lethargic starts.

MA is responsible for this.

Sort it.

At what point do we start to accept that Appleton is Schofield in disguise?

Take over after a successful and popular manager leaves - check.
Build a team playing in a new style - check.
Have an excellent first half of your first full season - check.
Go from looking like world beaters to barely scraping into the playoffs - check.
No idea how to turn it around and replace good players with poor ones - check.

"No idea how to turn it around and replace good players with poor ones - check."

By some of MA's comments about some of the summer signings, and how we desperately need the January transfer window, I think MA has absolved himself in advance of any responsibility for the summer recruitment.

Not exactly sure why we set up as we do. It’s suicidal to play out from the back. If we didn’t do that tonight it would have been a 0-0 draw, though Wimbledon had numerous other chances from us pissing around at the back, which we somehow got away with.

Then there’s an astonishing drop off in form of certain players like TJ, McGrandles, Scully, Fiorini and Bishop of late. Then add the impact that Adelakun, Sorensen, Nlundulu add to the squad when we are desperate for goals and creativity. We keep having people playing out of position and It shows just how MA rates certain individuals when Sanders doesn’t even get a game and we play Maguire up top with Bishop as a winger (he isn’t).

It all adds up to one hell of a mess and I wonder where we will be in the league after away trips to Wednesday, Wigan and Sunderland.

Not exactly sure why we set up as we do. It’s suicidal to play out from the back. If we didn’t do that tonight it would have been a 0-0 draw, though Wimbledon had numerous other chances from us pissing around at the back, which we somehow got away with.

Then there’s an astonishing drop off in form of certain players like TJ, McGrandles, Scully, Fiorini and Bishop of late. Then add the impact that Adelakun, Sorensen, Nlundulu add to the squad when we are desperate for goals and creativity. We keep having people playing out of position and It shows just how MA rates certain individuals when Sanders doesn’t even get a game and we play Maguire up top with Bishop as a winger (he isn’t).

It all adds up to one hell of a mess and I wonder where we will be in the league after away trips to Wednesday, Wigan and Sunderland.

Well we actually seem to be better away, so im not as concerned as I would be if those games were at home. But still...

Sanders is a strange one, thought he was said to be a Bridcutt replacement but can’t get a game when Bridcutt is injured ( which is over half the season) although he seems to play well in his brief appearances.
Looked the best of new recruits early this year, injured, can't buy an appearance. Weird. Looks twice the player that Sorensen is imo.

Go from looking like world beaters to barely scraping into the playoffs - check.

I think that might be a bit drastic but I think you are correct in that Appleton is a much better coach then manager. I can see why he was popular as a coach in championship and Premiership as I think that is his strength.

Have posted the comment before re the replacements we've signed, but surely the DoF is as culpable, or not more so, than MA if the wrong players have been brought in

It's 69% not 90% (when we go 1-0 down).

Of those 9 games, 4 (Ipswich, Wycombe, AFC Wimbledon, Bolton) we went on to lose to the single goal.

The remaining 5 were two draws (Millers and Argyle) and two losses (Morecambe and Oxford) and only one game have we come from behind to win (Fleetwood).

SO we are more likely to lose or draw if we concede first.

Have no idea what that is like when compared to the rest of the teams in L1.

Even if you were right, you think the 10 years in the wilderness that followed Schofield were positive.

Be very careful what you wish for

I think that might be a bit drastic but I think you are correct in that Appleton is a much better coach then manager. I can see why he was popular as a coach in championship and Premiership as I think that is his strength.
I dont get this Appleton is a coach ! We havent seen any examples yet in 18 month tenure . We have seen some likely prospects drop out of sight we have seen favouritism, and players not given a chance despite a large injury list and we have seen the dislike of a settled side . More impoortantly we are suffering from an inability to coach something out of players which supposedly he had a hand in signing .
The only sign of success was with Johnson and Rogers ( loan players who presumably had some coaching from their own clubs prior to arriving )
On the other hand Sanders hasnt improved ( not given the chance , and it appears that Adelukan and Ndululu ( pardon the spelling are not given a full run out despite a shortage of tall players and winger .
I could go on Roughan for instance but no doubt I am not the only one with these thoughts.
A coach would be keen to play his up and coming players to show his own work off methinks !

Poole, Mcgrandles, Edun, Grant, Rodgers, Johnson......all greatly improved during their time with us (yes, Poole is still here).

I don't doubt, as with any coach, not every player responds or reacts with the same attitude or desire. Ferguson (Utd) was brilliant at developing some players.....but some who went to Utd went backwards not forwards in their development.

Poole, Mcgrandles, Edun, Grant, Rodgers, Johnson......all greatly improved during their time with us (yes, Poole is still here).

I don't doubt, as with any coach, not every player responds or reacts with the same attitude or desire. Ferguson (Utd) was brilliant at developing some players.....but some who went to Utd went backwards not forwards in their development.

not sure you can say poole, mcrgrandles , rogers and johnson greatly improved during their time with us. Johnson & rogers both hit the ground running & stayed at the same sort of level, mcgrandles & poole were already doing exactly the same jobs at mk dons. I don't think appleton's coaching has noticeably improved any of those players. Grant & Edun I think are fair.