We need to go deep in League Cup this season | Page 10 | Vital Football

We need to go deep in League Cup this season

Ps we all realise that we don't yet have alternatives to MGW and Awoniyi.

So when they don't play we are a shadow of the attacking threat

The Collymore team was an absolute shadow of the attacking threat when he was missing despite the quality in other areas of the pitch

Whos gloating?

D'you think im happy with this negative, scared of our own shadows approach to playing a second string burnley...at home...in front of 28k...in a free hit game.

If the game itself was about practise, a glorified friendly, then why would Cooper be so pissed off. Surely the result doesnt matter?
It was a competitive game, one in which we, again, looked like shit playing this ultra negative, boring and fruitless style.

It's almost as if, people want the team to continue down this path just to be proven correct.
I suppose if we scrape 17th, and stay up on goal difference then job done.
But you can be sure that this style will not move us up the table.

What i want is the player's to be allowed to at least try and do the jobs they've been training for years to do.
When we beat Arsenal to stay up end of last season how many posts did you make to celebrate that game and performance and result compared to now?

Were you happy then?

Or did you just pretend to be or disappear for a while?

Why is SC so obsessed with 5 at the back (3-4-3)? It clearly didn't work last season, we always get overrun in midfield and appears to have the same last night!?

When we beat Arsenal to stay up end of last season how many posts did you make to celebrate that game and performance and result compared to now?

Were you happy then?

Or did you just pretend to be or disappear for a while?
17 post? I believe...can't recall...do you know?

Whos gloating?

D'you think im happy with this negative, scared of our own shadows approach to playing a second string burnley...at home...in front of 28k...in a free hit game.

If the game itself was about practise, a glorified friendly, then why would Cooper be so pissed off. Surely the result doesnt matter?
It was a competitive game, one in which we, again, looked like shit playing this ultra negative, boring and fruitless style.

It's almost as if, people want the team to continue down this path just to be proven correct.
I suppose if we scrape 17th, and stay up on goal difference then job done.
But you can be sure that this style will not move us up the table.

What i want is the player's to be allowed to at least try and do the jobs they've been training for years to do.
This style will have us finish higher than 17th and with a better goal difference than last year?

We will progress?

Like last season we don't yet have an alternative to MGW and now Awoniyi is firing on all cylinders in this system we don't have an alternative to him yet

But we knew that anyway?

Why is SC so obsessed with 5 at the back (3-4-3)? It clearly didn't work last season, we always get overrun in midfield and appears to have the same last night!?
Because the way we set up helped us get points to avoid relegation at the end of last season that the other teams around us couldn't get?

And is the way with our squad to get best results and compete with squads with way more attacking options than us?

Because players like MGW and Awoniyi are few and far between and cost 80M plus that we can't afford? And who wouldnt sign for us even if we could afford them?

Did you miss what happened at the end of last season?

Because the way we set up helped us get points to avoid relegation at the end of last season that the other teams around us couldn't get?

And is the way with our squad to get best results and compete with squads with way more attacking options than us?

Because players like MGW and Awoniyi are few and far between and cost 80M plus that we can't afford? And who wouldnt sign for us even if we could afford them?

Did you miss what happened at the end of last season?
Errr, most of our points last season came after we switched to 4-3-3, due to us getting overrun in midfield every week and conceding goals for fun! We generally only went to a 5 late in games to try see them out. Not sure what you are talking about??

Errr, most of our points last season came after we switched to 4-3-3, due to us getting overrun in midfield every week and conceding goals for fun! We generally only went to a 5 late in games to try see them out. Not sure what you are talking about??
We didn't master low block until end of last season?

It took that long

Our problem last night was not defending. Its what we did when in possession of the ball (according to Cooper)

But without MGW and Awoniyi we are a shadow of the attacking threat?

We all knew that already surely?

But would have been good for others to step up.

But it's hard for other players to replicate players we wouldnt sell even if we got offered 80M to 120M for them?

Last edited:
Our best form was at the end of the season when we were playing 5 at the back and two in midfield, and playing super, super deep, moreso than the rest of the season.

We hit form when we played 4-3-3 earlier in the season, but there were alot of draws. Again we were extremely deep.

Personally I think it had more to do with Aurier, Yates and Awoniyi (+Felipe and Niakhate later at the end of the season) all being available and playing, than the particular formation. We need our more aggressive players on the pitch.

Teams aren't scoring for fun against us this season ?

And we are scoring more than last season and looking way more dangerous ?

With 2 players like MGW and Taiwo missing you cannot underestimate the difference that makes to our threat?

You must accept that?

We know we will struggle if they are injured?

I'm sure Cooper didn't want to risk them at all last night if the others could have got a result without them

Our best form was at the end of the season when we were playing 5 at the back and two in midfield, and playing super, super deep, moreso than the rest of the season.

We hit form when we played 4-3-3 earlier in the season, but there were alot of draws. Again we were extremely deep.

Personally I think it had more to do with Aurier, Yates and Awoniyi (+Felipe and Niakhate later at the end of the season) all being available and playing, than the particular formation. We need our more aggressive players on the pitch.
Most of the home games we won at the end of the season were playing 4 at the back! Trying watching the Southampton & Brighton games. Of course we are not going to be as effective without out star players, but a number of times on commentary last night it was said that our formation was causing us a problem in midfield. It's fine playing that way against the big teams, but not against teams who have just come up!

Most of the home games we won at the end of the season were playing 4 at the back! Trying watching the Southampton & Brighton games. Of course we are not going to be as effective without out star players, but a number of times on commentary last night it was said that our formation was causing us a problem in midfield. It's fine playing that way against the big teams, but not against teams who have just come up!
I wouldn't want us to repeat how we beat Southampton at home.

We made that game way harder than it needed to be IMO

Teams like that you want clean sheets at home against or concede 1 at the absolute most

We have a squad that can rotate and defend deep. What we don't have is a squad that can rotate and be an attacking threat still

Rome wasn't built in a day. And we don't have BC on this job!!

haha, of course....who doesn't want a successful outcome.

two goals up and cowering in our shells at Old Trafford to glouriously lose 3-2 must have given you a right happy feeling?
We can afford to lose far more than we win this season and still do way better than last season

We also want suffer as many hammerings as last season

We will also go into away games thinking we've got a chance of getting a result (as well as just our home games)

Meanwhile every game we don't win you will still moan about us not being an attacking team with more possession.

I checked back and after we beat Arsenal you posted you hope we are a team that attacks more and has more possession next season

That was your celebration post!

I'm not by any means anti Cooper and will probably need my tin hat here, but I just don't think that given how much EM has invested in the team he will stand for the sort of negative football being served up and will expect something more progressive otherwise Cooper will be under constant pressure

I'm not by any means anti Cooper and will probably need my tin hat here, but I just don't think that given how much EM has invested in the team he will stand for the sort of negative football being served up and will expect something more progressive otherwise Cooper will be under constant pressure

Can you please refer to EM as MerryKnackers?

Thanks