We have to keep Hoj.. | Vital Football

We have to keep Hoj..

Spursex

Alert Team
I've been one of his most vocal critics for his negativity under Conte, but against Fulham, he showed he may yet prove pivotal in our campaign this season; come January we have to face at least a moth without Sarr or Bissouma - whilst not on the same level of Bissouma in terms of his game impact, he did show v Fulham that he can be called in from the cold and play front foot football..

So, he is the man who must not be sold come the January window; if we did, we could well be shooting ourselves in both feet, he now knows Ange system and his place in it.

Hoj made some important contributions against Fulham — winning possession in their half in the lead-up to Spurs’ second and playing some very useful passes — including an excellent switch of play to Richarlison in the second half. On the debit side was a booking for a late tackle on Willian — though Bissouma is hardly immune to those either — and some hurried passes when more composure was needed.

read more here: https://theathletic.com/4991522/2023/10/24/tottenham-fulham-hojbjerg-bissouma/

pierre-emile_hojbjerg_vs_yves_bissouma-2.png

The chart uses data from smarterscout, which rates an individual’s ability in specific metrics out of 99, relative to other players in their position.

It shows Bissouma is excelling both in the defensive and offensive sides of the game. xG from shot creation shows how much a player’s actions contribute to creating scoring chances for their team; an individual gets credited for their contributions in relation to taking shots, creating chances, making the pass before the chance, and so on.

For carry and dribble volume, the higher their score, the more carries of 10 or more metres or one-on-one dribbles a player attempts per attacking touch. Defending intensity shows how often the player is the most relevant defender when their side are out of possession. The higher the number here, the more it shows that player to be actively applying pressure and making defensive actions.

It’s early days and Bissouma may not be able to sustain his early season form. He is also likely to pick up more suspensions.

But assuming he remains Ange’s first-choice No 6, where does that leave Hojbjerg? How happy will a player so used to being an automatic starter for his first three years at Spurs — and in the two before that with previous club Southampton — be with his new role of useful squad player?

The consensus from those in his native Denmark is this situation will not suit Hojbjerg for long.

While Hoj may not be happy, he has been nothing but professional over the past few months, applying himself with complete commitment in training and in games when he’s come on, making useful contributions — he helped shore up the side in the August victories over Manchester United and Bournemouth and played a big part in Kulu's late winner against Sheffield United in September.

It would have been easy for Hoj to sulk after losing his place and missing out on a move in the summer — and in general, his colleagues have been pleasantly surprised by his reaction to his reduced status.

The challenge, which Ange has managed well so far, will be keeping the squad’s fringe players hungry and motivated.

Hojbjerg is not press resistant enough to play the role against most of the PL. Even Maddison remarked how odd it was that Fulham just didn't really press us. Even though Madders said that, he saw the risk leaving Hojbjerg further back when our full backs or CBs moved forward and had the intelligence to drop deeper to assist - sometimes playing even deeper than Hoj or level with him.

I can think of two occasions when Hojbjerg was pressed in the game - one led to a dangerous counter from a low risk situation that a more clinical team would have taken better advantage of. The other he received a poor pass from the back and was instantly set upon - and whilst I don't really blame him for this one because it was a tricky ball to control, this is exactly why Bissouma is so invaluable to this system and why Bentancur can't come back soon enough.

On the plus side his distribution to the wings was great. I've always said that if you give him time on the ball he's actually got quite a decent mid range pass on him... which is exactly why no decent opposition would give him time on the ball.

Defensively he's not agile enough, and as already hinted at above his carrying and composure on the ball is lacking. Hopefully we can persuade Mali and Senegal to let Sarr and Biss arrive after the United game. Group matches are 15th - 24th Jan - a period we have no games in. There's a potential FA cup tie on 27th, then Brentford on 30th and Everton on 3rd Feb and Brighton on 10th Feb.

So if both teams go out in group stages and allow them to join after the United game they'll miss one FA Cup game. If they progress beyond the group they potentially miss Brentford, Everton and Brighton if their team makes the final.

Also if I'm Hojbjerg I'm not sure I'd want to stay to be AFCON / suspension cover and/or to close out games. I think it's likely we'll sell him but we absolutely need a replacement.

Hojbjerg is not press resistant enough to play the role against most of the PL. Even Maddison remarked how odd it was that Fulham just didn't really press us. Even though Madders said that, he saw the risk leaving Hojbjerg further back when our full backs or CBs moved forward and had the intelligence to drop deeper to assist - sometimes playing even deeper than Hoj or level with him.

I can think of two occasions when Hojbjerg was pressed in the game - one led to a dangerous counter from a low risk situation that a more clinical team would have taken better advantage of. The other he received a poor pass from the back and was instantly set upon - and whilst I don't really blame him for this one because it was a tricky ball to control, this is exactly why Bissouma is so invaluable to this system and why Bentancur can't come back soon enough.

On the plus side his distribution to the wings was great. I've always said that if you give him time on the ball he's actually got quite a decent mid range pass on him... which is exactly why no decent opposition would give him time on the ball.

Defensively he's not agile enough, and as already hinted at above his carrying and composure on the ball is lacking. Hopefully we can persuade Mali and Senegal to let Sarr and Biss arrive after the United game. Group matches are 15th - 24th Jan - a period we have no games in. There's a potential FA cup tie on 27th, then Brentford on 30th and Everton on 3rd Feb and Brighton on 10th Feb.

So if both teams go out in group stages and allow them to join after the United game they'll miss one FA Cup game. If they progress beyond the group they potentially miss Brentford, Everton and Brighton if their team makes the final.

Also if I'm Hojbjerg I'm not sure I'd want to stay to be AFCON / suspension cover and/or to close out games. I think it's likely we'll sell him but we absolutely need a replacement.

I think we won't replace him until the summer, and unless a CL come knocking in Jan (still possible that Bayern want him) I'd stick around until the end of the season.

But unless I had a far better replacement lined up who could quickly adapt to Ange's system, I'd point-blank refuse to sell; we will need strength in depth to get through/succeed this season, and I still think we're short of that and will need to be addressed in the summer, but not in Jan.

I think we won't replace him until the summer, and unless a CL come knocking in Jan (still possible that Bayern want him) I'd stick around until the end of the season.

But unless I had a far better replacement lined up who could quickly adapt to Ange's system, I'd point-blank refuse to sell; we will need strength in depth to get through/succeed this season, and I still think we're short of that and will need to be addressed in the summer, but not in Jan.

Juventus in for him according to press. Atleti and Bayern probably still are. No idea if any of them will pay what we should be getting for him.

Juventus in for him according to press. Atleti and Bayern probably still are. No idea if any of them will pay what we should be getting for him.
Yes, Juve interest seems real, but whether they can afford the plans they currently seem to have, seems doubtful, they're still in a financial mess.

But it's also why I thought 'd start this thread, because for the rest of the season, I think we should stick with him and only sell him if we know/when we have a significant upgrade coming in.

I've always liked the guy and thought he received a little too much criticism from a lot of people.

He is still able to do a job for us but I would be happy to see him go in January, as long as we have a ready made replacement lined up.

I assume Conor Gallagher is no longer an option after playing so much for Chelsea this season.

Yes, Juve interest seems real, but whether they can afford the plans they currently seem to have, seems doubtful, they're still in a financial mess.

But it's also why I thought 'd start this thread, because for the rest of the season, I think we should stick with him and only sell him if we know/when we have a significant upgrade coming in.
I think it's a no brainer with two players going to AFCON, we could only let him go if we are planning on a better replacement in January which seems a long shot.

He's always been OK against these sides that put no pressure on him, as soon as anyone puts much pressure on him he just can't cope and he turns over the ball, same with Skipp.

I'd rather get someone like Gallagher in, but I doubt we can off load till the summer.

He's always been OK against these sides that put no pressure on him, as soon as anyone puts much pressure on him he just can't cope and he turns over the ball, same with Skipp.

I'd rather get someone like Gallagher in, but I doubt we can off load till the summer.
I'd be happy to hold on to him until summer then go for BJ's mate Gibbs-White if Forest are relegated.

I just think we'll regret it if we rely on him in that role against teams who press. It'll totally kill our fluidity to have a guy who can't carry the ball and can only progress it if not under pressure. Mind you I've no clue who we can get as cover for Bissouma, as most with that skillset will cost a fortune.

Some really good points made here thus far and in view of the Africa and Asian games coming around - I have no problem if he sees out the season and bench warms but I am on the fence with Hojberg .. have been for a few seasons now. He still plays the Moaner/Conte way (his way)

For me he plays backwards and crossways too much and is so labourous in coming back to help when he loses the ball or when we need him ... with this new style of high press forward play he negates all what we want to do in midfield.

I was calling for him to be taken off against Fulham and yet we make it worse by bringing on Skipp who was their best player in the 2nd half (soory but thats how I saw it).... he also is finding it hard to adapt.

Trouble is with Sarr and Biss having to not play or go off and no Benty yet we have little choice but to use him or both ... but at our own peril. As long as we keep clean sheets and we score winning goals he will not be highlighted as one for first out the door.

Even Lo C was no replacement for Madders and that is another position we have to be concerned about not just Hojberg

Some really good points made here thus far and in view of the Africa and Asian games coming around - I have no problem if he sees out the season and bench warms but I am on the fence with Hojberg .. have been for a few seasons now. He still plays the Moaner/Conte way (his way)

For me he plays backwards and crossways too much and is so labourous in coming back to help when he loses the ball or when we need him ... with this new style of high press forward play he negates all what we want to do in midfield.

I was calling for him to be taken off against Fulham and yet we make it worse by bringing on Skipp who was their best player in the 2nd half (soory but thats how I saw it).... he also is finding it hard to adapt.

Trouble is with Sarr and Biss having to not play or go off and no Benty yet we have little choice but to use him or both ... but at our own peril. As long as we keep clean sheets and we score winning goals he will not be highlighted as one for first out the door.

Even Lo C was no replacement for Madders and that is another position we have to be concerned about not just Hojberg
Ange explained that Sarr had suffered with illness prior to the game and had planned to play him for just 60 minutes so he didn't have much option but to replace him with Skipp.

A lot depends on the return of Bents as I have no confidence in a Hoj/Skip combo. It may be preferable to sacrifice Madders creativity to play him as the pivot and deploy either Bents or LoCo in his 10 role.

I'd say Bentancur as the 6, Madders as 8 could work but not sure we can rely on Lo Celso. Looked good in pre season but just doesn't seem in sync with the team when he's played minutes since.

Maybe Bents as 6, Madders 8 and Kulu 10 with Johnson RW, or Porro RW and Emerson RB.

I've been one of his most vocal critics for his negativity under Conte, but against Fulham, he showed he may yet prove pivotal in our campaign this season; come January we have to face at least a moth without Sarr or Bissouma - whilst not on the same level of Bissouma in terms of his game impact, he did show v Fulham that he can be called in from the cold and play front foot football..

So, he is the man who must not be sold come the January window; if we did, we could well be shooting ourselves in both feet, he now knows Ange system and his place in it.

Hoj made some important contributions against Fulham — winning possession in their half in the lead-up to Spurs’ second and playing some very useful passes — including an excellent switch of play to Richarlison in the second half. On the debit side was a booking for a late tackle on Willian — though Bissouma is hardly immune to those either — and some hurried passes when more composure was needed.

read more here: https://theathletic.com/4991522/2023/10/24/tottenham-fulham-hojbjerg-bissouma/

pierre-emile_hojbjerg_vs_yves_bissouma-2.png

The chart uses data from smarterscout, which rates an individual’s ability in specific metrics out of 99, relative to other players in their position.

It shows Bissouma is excelling both in the defensive and offensive sides of the game. xG from shot creation shows how much a player’s actions contribute to creating scoring chances for their team; an individual gets credited for their contributions in relation to taking shots, creating chances, making the pass before the chance, and so on.

For carry and dribble volume, the higher their score, the more carries of 10 or more metres or one-on-one dribbles a player attempts per attacking touch. Defending intensity shows how often the player is the most relevant defender when their side are out of possession. The higher the number here, the more it shows that player to be actively applying pressure and making defensive actions.

It’s early days and Bissouma may not be able to sustain his early season form. He is also likely to pick up more suspensions.

But assuming he remains Ange’s first-choice No 6, where does that leave Hojbjerg? How happy will a player so used to being an automatic starter for his first three years at Spurs — and in the two before that with previous club Southampton — be with his new role of useful squad player?

The consensus from those in his native Denmark is this situation will not suit Hojbjerg for long.

While Hoj may not be happy, he has been nothing but professional over the past few months, applying himself with complete commitment in training and in games when he’s come on, making useful contributions — he helped shore up the side in the August victories over Manchester United and Bournemouth and played a big part in Kulu's late winner against Sheffield United in September.

It would have been easy for Hoj to sulk after losing his place and missing out on a move in the summer — and in general, his colleagues have been pleasantly surprised by his reaction to his reduced status.

The challenge, which Ange has managed well so far, will be keeping the squad’s fringe players hungry and motivated.
Do City's players sulk when they finally get their chance? No, they understand that it's a squad game.

I find Hoj thoroughly frustrating with his hoofing, slowing down the progression and brain farts, but he is the best that we have for cover...for now!

From PEH's perspective he must realise that as soon as Bentancur returns he'll be 4th choice. AFCON aside, that's next to no football for the whole season in the run up to next summer's Euros which Denmark seem certain to qualify for. So unless he's been assurances that he will be picked irrespective of club football appearances that has to be a big concern for him.

From our perspective, AFCON aside again, once bentancur returns he and Skipp will be featuring only sporadically for the rest of the season.

If we're chasing a game neither will be much use to us.

If we're looking to see a game out I'd prefer Skipp to PEH anyway.

That just leaves the AFCON. Surely we have someone from the academy who can fill a squad place for a few weeks if PEH leaves without us signing a replacement? Better still, let PEH go if that's what he wants, and promote a youngster for a few weeks.