We battered Ipswich in 2nd half | Vital Football

We battered Ipswich in 2nd half

Says Steve Evans. I know we played well, but did we batter them does anyone think?

No we didn’t. I thought we were possibly the better side 2nd half, had more decent chances, but nowhere near a battering.

But SE loves to play the pantomime hero, and I think he does it more to wind up the opposition than anything. And to take the heat and conversation away from his players. It’s the sort of comment we used to loathe him for and he’s always done it.

He could have just said “I thought we were unlucky. We caused them a lot of problems 2nd half and probably deserved at least a draw”. No-one would have batted an eyelid. But that’s not Steve Evans. And I don’t mind......now.

4 lost on the bounce, Sunderland on Saturday, I would think he's getting worried by now.
Football can be a harsh game.

4 lost on the bounce, Sunderland on Saturday, I would think he's getting worried by now.
Football can be a harsh game.

Doubt it. Nobody has thrashed us even though he has not been able to name an unchanged side, particularly an unchanged midfield.

Goal scoring is obviously our problem at the moment and it is difficult to create chances when the players are still mainly strangers to each other.

Akinde was livelier on Tuesday and Oliver will always cause problems for any defence. As soon as Samuel is match fit, he should show his class. It is the supply that needs to be sorted out and the O'Keefe and Mellis injuries have not helped.
Dempsey will also take a while to get up to speed.

Sir Keith is spot on with his summary. I really enjoyed the second half on Tuesday because we gave it a good go. There could have been a few goals at both ends. On another day we'd have got a point or maybe more. Alternatively we could easily have been two down by half time.

It's SE's job to get results so I can understand that he's going to be annoyed while we can be a bit more relaxed about things.

Even so, I think he makes a fool of himself with some of his match day antics. During the week he's articulate and sensible. I can understand decent players wanting to play for him. During the match he turns into a ridiculous caricature and comes across really badly - he got another yellow card on Tuesday for something or other.

All Gills' fans are biased (apart from maybe the over reasonable Peter Lloyd) - me more than most - but some of Evans' comments are starting to become embarrassing and harking back to the sort of comments he made as an opposing manager against us. Maybe we're willing to forgive them when we are playing well and/or winning?

Yes, we were unlucky against Ipswich, yes we deserved a draw, and yes we were the better side in the second half, but only marginally and we were marginally the weaker of two poor sides in the first half - a battering, it certainly was not. I, and I am sure a lot of other Gills' fans, are also starting to get tired of Evans' weekly pre-match exaggeration of our budget. Yes, we can't compete with Sunderland, Ipswich and co, but there are a lot of other teams of a similar size to us - several smaller - and a lot of teams are in the same boat. I wonder how long it will be before Scally takes umbrage to such comments, if we keep losing?