Waste mountain | Vital Football

Waste mountain

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
I dont buy a lot of drinks out, simply because it is too much money and I begrudge it. Also because there are far too many points in the drinks, especially if your a coffee lover and want latte, mocha or cappuccino

You can buy Nescafe latte, mocha and cappuccino at the supermarket with 8 in a pack for a lot less points/calories than the coffee shops.

It has been known for me to carry the packets out with me and ask for a hot cup of boiling water, producing my own cup and spoon to have it with it discreetly, usually though as a take out

£3-00 + a cup in the coffee shop or about 12 p each to buy the boxes of 8 from Farmfoods (Nescafe make too) at a £1-00 a box for 8. The boxes make more sense to me.

Anyway here is the article

Seems there is another reason too.

Those who thought there ''throwaway'' recycling cups were recyclable are wrong, me included. They damn well should be

Viewpoint: The waste mountain of coffee cups

Every day hundreds of thousands of Britons put their coffee cup into a recycling bin. They're wrong - those cups aren't recyclable, and the UK throws away 2.5bn of them a year. It must stop, writes Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
One chilly morning last March - exactly the sort of morning when a warming cafe latte could seem appealing - I took to the streets of London in a double-decker bus adorned with 10,000 empty takeaway coffee cups.
It might have looked like a piece of dodgy conceptual art, but it was actually designed to illustrate the vast volume of takeout cups we throw away daily in the UK.
My bus didn't represent all of them, though - 10,000 is the number of cups the UK gets through in just two minutes.
The British - like the Americans and Italians - are a nation of caffeine addicts. Walk down any busy street and you'll see people clutching coffee-filled cardboard vessels.

Cont: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36882799

Even half of what we think is being recycled isn't really (last time I read an article on it anyway)

It is a massively wasteful world ... or 1/3 is wasting resources that the other 2/3rds could perhaps do with!

Yes I have read that too. Also that some of our recycling material gets packed off to 3rd world countries and dumped there FFS.

Regarding food waste I made a guideline a few years ago, that if any food was thrown out, the cost would go in a tin and be donated once a year in goods to either the Foodbank, here in The U.K, or sent as a one off Christmas gift for a charity abroad dealing with crisis and lack of food.

Gets you thinking about what your doing. I read once a viewpoint that it was disrespectful to those who go hungry in the world to throw food away. It really moved me and got me doing what I do with the donation tin

Anyone see the waste not program tonight on BBC 8 HD re the issue? Here is the link to the website. If you scroll down you will find the link to tweet to the coffee shops about it. Your tweet counts

http://wastenotuk.com/index.html

Yes, caught up with the programme in the end, he's had an effect on wonky veg and food waste (food now being given to charities and food banks instead of landfill) so that is great.

Spooky seeing how many cauliflowers would have been deemed not suitable (they all looked great!) before his campaign and a relaxing of the rules.

I hope pressure continues. The waste in the West really is bad. I rarely throw any food away, it takes a flair up usually to leave me too wiped out to get use of something I have ready and then I do try my best to give away.

Wouldn't be so bad if the companies that produce these over priced "must haves" for the sheeple actually paid tax to help with cleaning up the shit they produce, boycotted by me and mine.

Went to an interesting meeting about food production and waste last year (it was interesting, honest!) as for my sins I'm a member of a county-wide waste group. Quite amazing how many basic foods farmers are forced to grow aren't the ones that they can get the biggest crop from, but the ones which travel best without getting damaged. Utterly inefficient use of land!

And as for "best before dates"...should be scrapped entirely.

Yes, the best before dates for fruit and veg is ridiculous, agreed. You can tell when it is off by sight and smell. Same with meat. Different for the processed food maybe as no one knows what the hell is in that muck.

Supermarkets have a lot to answer for with the farmers being forced to grow this that and the other, then they get robbed with threats of being dropped if they dont sell cheap (for the bogoffs etc) and the rejection of perfectly fine food because of it not fitting a size regulation etc.

All of which I realise you know being on a food waste committee lol

But it's sickening isn't it? So much thrown away when people are on or below the breadline in this country and starving in other countries.

It's all hard to work out. If farmers produced the actual amount needed for consumption, the cost would shoot up, leaving those on the breadline worse off!

Lots of it is education. Take a bag of onions, which can be used in however many meals, stick them in the bottom thr fridge and they will last as long as you want (within reason) and way, way past the date.

But even the phrase "bag of onions" shows the problem. It's cheaper to buy a bag and throw those away you don't use than buy the exact amount.

Brie is another one. I like it nice and mature so wouldn't eat it until it is older than some would throw it away for. And, as you say, if you can't tell a bit of steak or mince, etc, is off, then you shouldn't be cooking anything!

Perhaps it's time for more of us to attempt to replicate The Good Life and become self-sufficient. Which, as I'd never be able to choke a chicken (quiet at the back!) I'd end up with a houseful of pet chickens...

They in general are far more economic and healthy food wise in Canada where my daughter is. Least her and her family there are. She has a fantastic life. A bit Good Life ish.

Darcy (her live in boyfriend) and his Dad go hunting twice a year for their meat. They go fishing well for fish. They grow there own and Cynth & Russ (Darcy parents) have hens, chickens, turkeys so fresh eggs shared out with the family, sold on, the same with the poultry which is raised for food and yes they have land for veg too.

There food bills are all minimum and it is far more common there for people to live like that. The only thing they haven't got is cows for milk but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't get into that either. LOL.

The Real Neil - 2/8/2016 20:49

Brie is another one. I like it nice and mature so wouldn't eat it until it is older than some would throw it away for. .

:22:

:90: