Ward Out Long Term | Vital Football

Ward Out Long Term

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Grant Ward is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines following the injury he sustained against AFC Bournemouth last weekend.

The midfielder, who was stretchered off in the 65th minute at the Vitality Stadium, requires surgery on his Achilles tendon.

“Wardy now faces surgery so that’s going to be a lengthy period of time off,” Neil Critchley confirmed.

“It’s not a very nice moment when you receive that news because Wardy has brilliant ever since I walked into the football club.

“From the very first day that I walked in and saw him playing - it was actually in a reserve game at Huddersfield - he really took my eye. Some of his performances last season were immense. He’ll be a big miss for us.

“He’s great around the training ground every day and is a bubbly character who is well liked within the group. We’ve got to make sure now that we support him and look after him.”

On the injury front, there is better news regarding Demetri Mitchell however, who has stepped up his return to fitness.

“He’s doing some running, twisting and turning so he looks good, feels good and if he carries on the way he is at the moment, then we’re hopeful that he’ll be ready for the Fulham game.”

Grant Ward is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines following the injury he sustained against AFC Bournemouth last weekend.

The midfielder, who was stretchered off in the 65th minute at the Vitality Stadium, requires surgery on his Achilles tendon.

“Wardy now faces surgery so that’s going to be a lengthy period of time off,” Neil Critchley confirmed.

“It’s not a very nice moment when you receive that news because Wardy has brilliant ever since I walked into the football club.

“From the very first day that I walked in and saw him playing - it was actually in a reserve game at Huddersfield - he really took my eye. Some of his performances last season were immense. He’ll be a big miss for us.

“He’s great around the training ground every day and is a bubbly character who is well liked within the group. We’ve got to make sure now that we support him and look after him.”

On the injury front, there is better news regarding Demetri Mitchell however, who has stepped up his return to fitness.

“He’s doing some running, twisting and turning so he looks good, feels good and if he carries on the way he is at the moment, then we’re hopeful that he’ll be ready for the Fulham game.”

He's out of contract at the end of the year isn't he? Will he even play for us again?

He's out of contract at the end of the year isn't he? Will he even play for us again?
Yes. And potentially. I've been told they're hoping he's back for March. But it was very telling they didn't offer him a new deal in the summer.

I have never known so many crocks in a Blackpool side. My bed side manner may be poor, but what actual use are they ? Its not exactly strength in depth.

I have never known so many crocks in a Blackpool side. My bed side manner may be poor, but what actual use are they ? Its not exactly strength in depth.

Agreed, not ideal.

I think it's partly luck, but also partly our recruitment strategy that (ultimately) got us out of league one.

Dougall, Stewart, potentially even Ward and Madine all dropped down to league one because they'd had significant injuries when all were considered championship players at the time. They stayed fit enough last year and we went up.

Dougall is also out of contract at the end of the season
Aye, and we'd have sat down with him over the summer to sort that out had he not been on international duty and then got injured.

Ward was not on international duty or injured, yet we still didn't offer him a longer deal like we did Maxwell or Husband. Telling.

Yes. And potentially. I've been told they're hoping he's back for March. But it was very telling they didn't offer him a new deal in the summer.
You have highlighted that a few times Abel - for me personally I thought Ward was consistently performing and earned a new contract ... so any ideas why that did not happen ? He had started well again this season.

You have highlighted that a few times Abel - for me personally I thought Ward was consistently performing and earned a new contract ... so any ideas why that did not happen ? He had started well again this season.

If everyone is fit does he play?

Think he's undoubtedly a decent player, but ultimately a square peg in a round hole.

We seem to prefer either 442 or 4231. With both, we prefer two 'scrapper' mids in the centre - Ward (although always busy) isn't in that mold. He's also not a '10' (in old shirt/position money) for the 4231 and not a '7' for either. He's probably an '8', but we don't play with one.

Aye, and we'd have sat down with him over the summer to sort that out had he not been on international duty and then got injured.

Ward was not on international duty or injured, yet we still didn't offer him a longer deal like we did Maxwell or Husband. Telling.
We must have offered Dougall a new contract. Surely.

I'm gutted for Ward, I really like him, and he's a big loss. I hope he recovers well and quickly.

When is that? 😁

I think that most like playing along side him.

I don’t disagree, not happened very often so far. But if everyone is (big if) fit, even last year in league 1, I don’t think he starts. He’s an ok player, but if he’s still playing regularly for us next year it’s because we’re in league one again (in my opinion!)

We. need to toughen up if we are to survive. We need more players that want to play and take a knock. Midfield is a battle field, we need to bring in proper reinforcements. Never mind that tip tapping around the half way line it gets us no where. Its an hard league with some ugly football, we have to get stuck in simple as that. Rant over.