Walton 2 2 Wigan athletic | Page 2 | Vital Football

Walton 2 2 Wigan athletic

Well he’s going to be in goal all season so I suggest you accept it and get behind him. They’ll know they can do better and will work to put it right.

Proper hate our fans at times, they’ve given us everything out there against a top team. Support them instead of slagging them off on here. Then again I’d expect nothing less from loudmouth bellend!

If we can get the defence sorted and have some cohesion with Walton then things are looking bright

The most impressive and encouraging thing today was the fact that we went behind, came back and could have won against one of the best teams in the league.

I feel better after today's loss than I did after last week's win as regards our potential in this league.

Well he’s going to be in goal all season so I suggest you accept it and get behind him. They’ll know they can do better and will work to put it right.

Proper hate our fans at times, they’ve given us everything out there against a top team. Support them instead of slagging them off on here. Then again I’d expect nothing less from loudmouth bellend!

C, far be it from me to stick up for lmb, however on this occasion he, i and others are right. Walton was poor today, particularly on crosses and no real way of hiding from it. I'm sure if you asked the lad himself he'd say so. There's no 'slagging off' Walton just highly evidenced opinions on his display. I don't recall anyone saying they weren't behind him or wanted him dropped and pointing out the obvious deficiencies in his game today certainly isn't that. Personally I'm happy he's our keeper but it doesn't prohibit me from commenting upon his afternoons work. The effort and performance overall today was warmly welcomed, so I can only guess you didn't watch the game if you feel the support wasn't there.

3 of our back 4 and keeper were playing only their second ever game at this level and they've only had 1 week of training together against a team who have a spare right back on the bench that costs more than our whole squad.

I'm certain we'll get better at the back as they get more used to each other. The mistakes seemed more to do with indecision / confusion rather than they players being skinned by a better player or out muscled by a stronger opponent - it's stuff we can work on and it will be worked on.

Even with our mistakes i didn't think it was a free kick they scored their first from and their second was a huge slice of luck, should the ref have added 5 mins of injury time on as if he hadn't gone so long we'd probably held on. It's fine margins that cost us.

Villa have one hell of a strong team and will be in the running for automatic promotion but they were very lucky to have beat us - they may have even been a bit lucky with a point.

But while there were flaws it was a great performance from us in so many ways - We easily could've and should've won that game with Windass and Jacobs chances. No doubt we need to improve in certain areas but the lads overall did us proud again and i don't think we should get too down.

The big take away was there is absolutely nothing to fear in this league if we play to our potential. We have some great players and a very exciting style of play, we are still adapting to the step up and bedding in the new signimg while coping with injures to big players but we are still competing to a very high level. We can only get better.

C, far be it from me to stick up for lmb, however on this occasion he, i and others are right. Walton was poor today, particularly on crosses and no real way of hiding from it. I'm sure if you asked the lad himself he'd say so. There's no 'slagging off' Walton just highly evidenced opinions on his display. I don't recall anyone saying they weren't behind him or wanted him dropped and pointing out the obvious deficiencies in his game today certainly isn't that. Personally I'm happy he's our keeper but it doesn't prohibit me from commenting upon his afternoons work. The effort and performance overall today was warmly welcomed, so I can only guess you didn't watch the game if you feel the support wasn't there.
Of course I was there and I’m still frustrated/gutted (probably the reason for my reaction), just can’t be bothered coming on here and seeing a separate thread created dedicated to bash a player after a team performance like that. Walton will know he should have done better and will no doubt work to get better.

I hope Cooky doesn’t change how we play. Seeing us try and go for the win at the end at Villa Park was fantastic. We’ve got a young defence trying to adapt to this ruthless league, the best thing we can do is try and outscore the opposition and have some fun doing it.

Think this lad is a very good keeper who has many qualities but will never make a Premier League player as long as he has a hole in his arse.
At the Wednesday game I commented that he has not a clue what to do with a ball lobbed into the 6 yard box so he usually stands rooted to his line or makes a charge that doesn't get to the intended target. If he had this final piece he would be the finished article and therefore he wouldn't be here.

Let's just enjoy what he can do instead of what he can't.

Sorry, can't have this. Trying to be fair to all members and stop the name calling. I don't really like being headmaster and have to tell people off/ban but then I don't silly name calling.

1 week ban. Next time it will be a month.

This seems ridiculous to me.

Talk about the posts not the poster.

Ye the goals we conceded we're shocking all 3 of them .. but we went to Villa and could of had 6 .. very positive for me ..
To go into a game v Forest and think ye we can win it is fantastic for me ..

Think this lad is a very good keeper who has many qualities but will never make a Premier League player as long as he has a hole in his arse.
At the Wednesday game I commented that he has not a clue what to do with a ball lobbed into the 6 yard box so he usually stands rooted to his line or makes a charge that doesn't get to the intended target. If he had this final piece he would be the finished article and therefore he wouldn't be here.

Let's just enjoy what he can do instead of what he can't.

Sorry mate, not like me to disagree with you but Walton has all the potential to be a top keeper. He is an excellent shot stopper and his positional play is very good, at present he is adapting to a new defensive strategy. I have said on another post he is suspect on crosses and no doubt the coaching staff are aware of this and will work to correct this. Last season he had a giant centre half in front of him who dealt with everything thrown into the box and had no need to come for crosses. That has altered and there needs to be time given to allow Walton and the centre halves to work each other out. As has been said the goals today were the result of indecision, not poor technique, and given a couple of weeks training and more game time I feel sure they will work it out.

Early last season there was a similar couple of incidents were Walton and Burn went for the same ball, but after playing together for a week or two the understanding developed. Believe me Walton will one day be a top Premiership player and we should be grateful we have him for another season.

Last season he had the Superman and Dunks partnership at the front of him and Nathan in defence with Morsy and Power further protecting the deep midfield. Three of those weren't there today.
Not sure what protection Max was offering? We are missing Dan Burn, of course we are, but squads have to cope with injuries especially in Championship, and I think a hastily assembled back four is doing more than ok.

Sorry mate, not like me to disagree with you but Walton has all the potential to be a top keeper. He is an excellent shot stopper and his positional play is very good, at present he is adapting to a new defensive strategy. I have said on another post he is suspect on crosses and no doubt the coaching staff are aware of this and will work to correct this. Last season he had a giant centre half in front of him who dealt with everything thrown into the box and had no need to come for crosses. That has altered and there needs to be time given to allow Walton and the centre halves to work each other out. As has been said the goals today were the result of indecision, not poor technique, and given a couple of weeks training and more game time I feel sure they will work it out.

Early last season there was a similar couple of incidents were Walton and Burn went for the same ball, but after playing together for a week or two the understanding developed. Believe me Walton will one day be a top Premiership player and we should be grateful we have him for another season.

It's ok to disagree mate no worries. As always you put together a more than decent defence of your view and I will take it on board.

I'm still reet mind.:cheers:

Before we go a bit overboard, two of the back 6 played with us last season. Walton didn't have the best of matches, his decision making wasn't great, which, to be brutally honest about it, is why he is on loan with us and not playing week in, week out at Brighton. Still another 44 matches to play and still got players to come into the side, whilst for good spells of matches, the lads are controlling the game.

Regarding Walton - he has weaknesses that he needs to work on, but he's still so young and never played this calibur of opposition before - he's going to learn a lot from this season that will make him better.

Last season he was protected so well that he was rarely exposed and the weaker elements of his maybe quite well hidden, this time his flaws will be more obvious and he will be forced to up his game.

I think there is no doubt Walton didn't have his best game, but i think the critasism of him is somewhat fair but also a little harsh at the same time. I think Dunkley probably had his worst ever game in a Latics shirt, Evans should've tried to stretch to clear the ball that came accross him rather than let it fall for Hourihan, Kipre nearly made 2 suicidal errors that weren't punished, Robinson let Bjanasson get in front of him for the winner, Windass was selfish and kept hold of the ball when he could put Vaughan through on goal, etc there were lots of errors throughout the team but Waltons seem to be getting more than the rest. Walton was neither was he terrible or soley responsible for us conceeding.

Casper Schmeichael wasn't that great when he was Waltongs age and ended up in L2 and look at thim now. Walton is already a good keeper in many ways despite still being so young by GK standards - i don't think we need to worry too much yet. Let's give him a few more games before we start to lose faith in him.

The problem is KDZ that when a keeper makes a mistake or is indecisive that usually leads to a goal. Other players have the luxury of being able to rely on club mates to cover them and get them out of trouble. Believe me all keepers know this and this criticism will be taken on board and put to the back of his mind when the next game comes along. Keepers are a strange breed and are usually very level headed about bad games.

Your right True Beliver, i just think that there were a lot of mistakes yesterday that seem to have been overlooked or forgiven while Waltons focused on in this thread. Don't get me wrong Waltons flap at their first goal was awful (i have no idea what he was doing when you watch the replay), but if Dunkley hadn't lost his man then the goal would never have happened either but only one seems to be getting most of the stick. And then Kipre, Robinson and Evans all made mistakes in the other goals but aren't getting much blame either.

Players should get critasism where it's due, but i don't think for whatever reason everyone is being critasised to the same level.

Keeper was poor again yesterday. 4 shots on target in the last two games and not one save. The effort for the first was atrocious, went down so early it was an embarrassment. Third wasnt much better either. Do we have a problem here?

Loss of confidence in the defenders in front of him, who also have a loss of confidence in him.
He is far to static and should come off his line more, besides the goals there were a number of occasions yesterday and in recent games where the defenders have been crying out for him to collect the ball but he is stood there waiting for them. In the meantime opposition players nip in and get the ball or there is a last ditch tackle to prevent them.
All very poor, give Jones a chance and dropping a player quite often concentrates their minds and gets them back on track

I agree with that analysis there has been a communication breakdown recently. His keeping in relation to the first however was nothing to do with that. I've previously said young players need to be taken out of the firing line for their own good and development and it's difficult to argue against that on this occasion. However I'm not personally convinced by Jones and so I'm in two minds on this.

I like him but burn should really be barking out the orders in that defence as the most senior player so I wouldn't lay the communication failure totally on waltons toes. Burn should be off shortly so it's back to Kipre and Dunkley. For now at least as I'm sure we'll have to replace Burn. It may even be that he's resigned on loan until the end of the season as quite frankly he's looked anything but a premier league player since his return from injury.

As it stands we've a striker that can't hit a cows arse with a banjo up too and an error prone keeper at t'other end. Worrying times.

I think Walton is still a young lad who can improve but he's certainly fallen short of the level we hoped he'd perform to this season.

I think he's got a lot further to go and more to learn if he wants to have a chance of being a Prem keeper. He'll need another loan or two after this season as he's got no chance of getting anywhere near the Brighton first team on this seasons form.

He's proven his quality on occasion but he is still too mistake prone for Brighton to put the faith in him at a higher level.