Walton 2 2 Wigan athletic | Vital Football

Walton 2 2 Wigan athletic

loudmouthblue

Vital Football Hero
After his shocking performance at Rangers I said I hoped championship teams had not watched the games, well it seems Bruce did, dracula is better with crosses than this mon.

We are in for a long season with this mon, i will let others judge but Walton has cost us the game today, granted we missed some prime chances but as we found to our cost last time we were in this division conceding soft goals when you are as good if not better than your opponents will see us struggle.

Second goal was very poor from Walton. But when we play that open other teams are gonna get chances and we will make mistakes that’s just the reality.

We didn’t deserve that.

Have them a good game and definitely did enough to win it but we really need to improve our defending of crosses!

He had a poor game. He’s won us many others.

Still should have won today.

he earned us three points last week against wednesday with that late save, but his shot stopping and distribution cannot be questioned, he got away with a lot last season because the opposition was poor.

The 3 officials were awful. The foul on dunks should of been pen. Not to mention the countless fouls they got away with, a few leading to their goals. Need to improve defending set pieces as for 65 mins they didn't look like scoring from open play. From the pressing in the last two games it seems we start to tire around that stage of the game. The defenders need to step up and defend the box better when they have some momentum. As we still look dangerous on the counter.

Can't criticize the performance in general. If we continue to play this way we will be nearer the top of the leagye than the bottom this season. Villa have an old/experienced team and wont improve too much this season, our side has a lot of potential to improve.

Walton was awful today, Kipre made 3 errors as well, although he dealt with a fair few 1v1s as well. To be fair their side made quite a few similar errors. We were the better team for 65 mins than they took control. We had those two great chances in the second half. If Windass or Jacobs buried either header at 2-2 we could of won the game.

Connolly started off in defensive midfield and than moved to the wing. I liked him more on the right wing than in defensive midfield. Showed some nice general play and picked out some nice forward passes.

Mcmanaman and Vaughan were poor. Especially Vaughan, came on to hold the ball and he did the exact opposite. Gave them much more momentum, as Grigg at least was holding his own.

Still was an exciting game to watch, lots of things to work on. Also a lot of positives to take away.

The bit of skill from Dunks btw after he was shoved over in the box was brilliant. Went past two players and tried to lay off a pass. Shame that never resulted in a goal as it would of been great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be a record even on here, a scapegoat after two games, it usually takes at least 3 games!

Must be a record even on here, a scapegoat after two games, it usually takes at least 3 games!

Hardly a scapegoat. He was Awful today, its as simple as that. All players have their off days. Walton looked like he had few weaknesses until the end of last season. It seems we have seen two, coming for any delivery set piece/crosses. Also low shots.

He just needs to regain some confidence as he made an error against Rangers. After the mistake for today's first goal he showed a really bad trait. He lost confidence and stopped trying to claim crosses or was in two minds. He was all at sea on a couple occasions today. He should of came for the 2nd as well. He's big enough to deal with delivery into the 6 yard box.

Forgot to mention whilst being gutted we lost, i can't fault the way we are playing at the moment. It's not only exciting and entertaining to watch, if we can tighten up a few things. Fitness, defensive understanding and being a bit more clinical we'll be a real threat in this league. I couldn't be happier with the way Cook has approached this season so far. Personally it suits exactly how i like to see a team play football. Those two performances were far better than 95% of what i had seen last season in league one. If we can give Villa a game early in the season, it'll be interesting to see how we fair later in the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
These things were muted last season but because of our superiority in that league it wasn't a major concern and the teams we played could not take advantage, it's the third game actually as my OP he was shocking at rangers, and any scout with a modicum of ability will see this as a week spot to target.

These things were muted last season but because of our superiority in that league it wasn't a major concern and the teams we played could not take advantage, it's the third game actually as my OP he was shocking at rangers, and any scout with a modicum of ability will see this as a week spot to target.
Last season he had the Superman and Dunks partnership at the front of him and Nathan in defence with Morsy and Power further protecting the deep midfield. Three of those weren't there today.

At times I thought bogbrush was in goal for us today, I'm also concerned by Dunkley and Kipper defending at the back but on the plus side we look good when we're attacking and seem to have an eye for goal. It looks like we're going to be a team that scores a lot but also concedes a lot.

Last season he had the Superman and Dunks partnership at the front of him and Nathan in defence with Morsy and Power further protecting the deep midfield. Three of those weren't there today.

Absolutely nothing to do with his inability with crosses, as I posted before, his awareness, distribution and shot stopping are TOP class, he is playing for us and not Brighton because of the deficiencies in other areas, our problem is teams targeting that weekness.

All players have weaknesses we need Burn back to help him in that area. Theoretically dunkley and kipre because of their size should be good in the air but today let down.

One injury time defeat and there is a thread scapegoating a player b4 he's even reached the shower block. It's unbelievable. There is a reason he isn't starting in premier league and we have him and that's cos he's not the finished article so cut him some slack. You'll b calling for cooks head next if the 2nd string lose on Tuesday nite. Great game this afternoon that could have gone either way, with plenty of positives to take away so let's keep a sense of perspective lads and not go overboard with the slagging off of players 4 once.

Yes Walton didn’t have his best game but we need to remember that 3 of our back 4 are 21 and under. Walton is 22/23, that is a very inexperienced back line who have only had a couple of games together. We will concede goals because of that inexperience but the good news is they will improve as we go on.

Gutted we lost, but great effort by the boys. Really enjoyed the game despite the result. Those two headed chances... I told my boy we’d regret not taking those!

One injury time defeat and there is a thread scapegoating a player b4 he's even reached the shower block. It's unbelievable. There is a reason he isn't starting in premier league and we have him and that's cos he's not the finished article so cut him some slack. You'll b calling for cooks head next if the 2nd string lose on Tuesday nite. Great game this afternoon that could have gone either way, with plenty of positives to take away so let's keep a sense of perspective lads and not go overboard with the slagging off of players 4 once.

Don't type 'b4' and '4' instead of for, ffs.