Wage Controls To Be Introduced? | Vital Football

Wage Controls To Be Introduced?

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
Did I hear Liam saying something about wages and looking ahead of next season? As in expecting some kind of new wage controls coming in?

Did I hear Liam saying something about wages and looking ahead of next season? As in expecting some kind of new wage controls coming in?
If the new deal happens then it appears a stipulation may be tighter financial controls.

Thats what i seemed to get from listening to Liam talking, he also mentioned it on Radio Lincs last night when was on. Cannot remember what time but it was the 6 til 7pm program with Michael Hortin.

If the new deal happens then it appears a stipulation may be tighter financial controls.

Thats what i seemed to get from listening to Liam talking, he also mentioned it on Radio Lincs last night when was on. Cannot remember what time but it was the 6 til 7pm program with Michael Hortin.
There so needs to be some sort of restrictions. But it needs to be watertight so the profligate spenders and admin dippers cannot cry foul.

I just can’t see this happening although it clearly needs to happen. The PFA will not agree to it. They scuppered the wage controls that were attempted back in 2020/21 season.

As mentioned, if there are some sort of financial requirements from clubs that have to adhere to rules and regulations, that will be a good thing. As long as clubs cannot simply have a go around to circumnavigate to make it an unfair playing field again for most other clubs.

I agree with Bingham, I have my doubts it will be sanctioned.

I see that daft Rashford bloke was fined two weeks wages for his few days in Ireland, £600,000 !!

I'll wager it will never happen to the extent that individual players will be capped. Jimmy Hill would turn in his grave.

It would be great if they were and could actually be implemented in a practicable, workable manner. In theory it should only help well run clubs and reward achievements.

I don't really have a problem with bank rolled clubs to be honest, so long as it is real, ring fenced and sustainable cash. It's the b.s. chancers spending money they don't have and never will have that create most of the chaos, inflation for others and benefit from the cheating, with little meaningful punishment when they get (eventually) caught up with.

I just can’t see this happening although it clearly needs to happen. The PFA will not agree to it. They scuppered the wage controls that were attempted back in 2020/21 season.
It's very different to what happened in 2020/21. The PFA have actually attended meetings of the EFL Financial Working Party and it's hard to believe they would object to significant re-distribution of funds from the PL to the EFL ensuring greater sustainability of EFL clubs. The only thing stopping this at the moment are PL clubs.

In the interview with Liam and Jez on Gary's live podcast, Liam was intimating that some clubs were being a bit cavalier in their spending, given that new wage controls were potentially in the offing. By contrast, Lincoln City continue to be prudent. Quite rightly too.
However it is very unlikely any new rules will have immediate effect, and they certainly won't be retrospective. Clubs will be given time to get their house in order, and won't be sanctioned in theshort term. So any profligacy now will not be penalised until some way down the line. Then they may struggle to cut their cloth accordingly.
Is Liam being over cautious regarding potential problems for certain clubs?

The transfer activity by some L1 clubs has been very surprising: Exeter, still reeling from over-commitment on their training ground rebuild, have signed six new players with none out (the one departure was a player who was injured in September and actually went back to his parent club at that point); Carlisle have signed eight players, six on permanent contracts; Charlton have signed nine including six permanent; even little Cheltenham have signed eight, with five on permanent contracts;

Fair play to Fleetwood, though: seven in, seven out, but they have replaced quality with crap. Relegation seems nailed on.