Vs. St. Mirren | Vital Football

Vs. St. Mirren

welch47

Vital Football Hero
Back to league play tomorrow, Bhoys. St. Mirren never scores against us but then we haven't been great at home lately. With CL games two months away, I expect Lenny to field a full front-line squad.

I'd go with a conventional:
Matthews--------Ambrose-----Wilson--------Muldini
Brown-----------Wanyama------Kayal-----Sammy
-------------Hooper------------Watt---------------

If we get a nice lead, you start to sub in some of the younger players to get them some chances.

Thought Kayal was below par in Arbroath tbh and I just wish he would ditch the aggression and concentrate on his obvious talent ,, Izzy just wasn't himself either although he has been returning to form of late ,, Lustig took a while to impress but is getting increasingly hard to ignore as a first pick also ........ the problem NL has on his hands with a near fit squad is not necessarily a bad one and he has stated that some of the first team regulars will get respite here & there until the cups all kick off again in february , however , I also understand he is equally intent on stretching our lead in the bread and butter SPL until then in order to relieve pressure further down the line and with that in mind I think he'll take the opportunity to rest jaded players at this juncture and stick with those on top of their game to accomplish it ....... wouldn't argue too much with your selection Welch only to replace Kayal with Ledley .......... going into the game tomorrow with Mrs WB and the thought of Hooper , Sammy and Watt starting up top fair whetts the appetite
....... Mon The Hoops .......... :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 esecially the up front ones :emoticon:35

Not sure what formation he'll opt for although I can see him giving the 3-5-2 another outing.

WB makes good points regarding Kayal and Izzy, both are still struggling for a decent run of form.

I'd like to see Hooper and Watt start and hopefully both will be in amongst the goals early on.

Hope your good self and Mrs WB have a great day ( wrap up warm )

Thermals.CSC :emoticon:43

Great to see Tic and the WB back on the board. I only had Kayal in there because I think Ledley is hurt and Commons may still be out. Honestly, I can't stand Kayal. He's a decnt player but not as good as Wanyama, Brown or Ledley. And he whines way too much.

It really is Christmas time.......WB and Tic both back on the site! My word! haha! Nice to hear from you both!

I think Lennon could go with the 3-5-2 again, the problem we have right now is we have no natural wingers and Lennon seems unwilling to use Brown or Ledley in a wider position for now! We have Sammy who could play off the left but unless Lennon wants to use McGeouch on the right and drop one of the other midfielders. As a result, I think Matthews and Izzy could be used as wing backs again. Matthews has a little niggle after the Arbroath game, McGeouch may be given a chance or Lustig could be used as the wing back.

Kayal isn't whining as much as he was but he seems to be stuck between being the attacking CM and the defensive terrier that we know him as. At Maccabi Haifa he was used in both roles as they couldn't decide which was his best. He joined us and it seemed he was more defensive who could then pick the ball up and bring it forward. Now he just seems to not know which he is doing. I think his game is improving and getting back to a similar level that it was when we wouldn't leave him out of the team for even a minute!

I think we will see:

Forster
Ambrose - Wilson - Mulgrew
Lustig - Brown - Wanyama - Ledley/Kayal - Izzy
Hooper - Sammy/Lassad

Lassad now seems to be favoured over Watt which is a little bit disappointing but at the same time not surprising, he's playing pretty well and scoring goals and he needs time to settle into the team. Ledley has a similar problem to Brown apparently, with his hip so he is only playing every so often as well. He's not being pushed too hard or too often. He played well last week but he then obviously wasn't used midweek, I don't think he is likely to be used more than once a week.

Possibly welch! It just depends what sort of formation etc Lennon wants to go with. If he goes with 3 strikers and the 4-3-3 he has favoured this season then Watt on one side and Sammy on the other is probably the best option. Lassad isn't bad in a wider position either but maybe just mix things up a bit by bringing Watt in instead!

CELTIC (3-5-2) Forster; Lustig, Ambrose, Wilson; Matthews, Brown, Wanyama, Kayal, Mulgrew; Samaras, Hooper
Subs: Zaluska, Izaguirre, Miku, Lassad, McCourt, Rogne, Watt

Sorry lads...but looks like I was right! 3-5-2 it is! Mulgrew replacing Izzy though, he didn't play very well at Arbroath so not a huge shock.

Samaras needs to make sure he is getting himself in the box today though! Far too often against Arbroath he just walked around outside of the box when we were attacking instead of getting himself into a position to score!

3 strikers on the bench and only 1 midfielder though! That's slightly worrying! The only good thing is the versatility of some of the players in this team.

I didn't see the goal, just got my feed working now! Heard it was a header from Wanyama and then spilled by the keeper and Wanyama was on hand to bundle it over the line.

Looking at the way we are playing, its more like Kilmarnock last weekend, lots of energy and movement. When we don't have the ball, we are pressuring them and making it difficult for them! Hunting in packs! Great to see because that's what we need to do to try and get somewhere against teams that come here! We know they are going to defend so we need to find a way of overcoming that! We can't sit back when they have the ball!

I'm hoping for a romp today welch but at the same, I wouldn't be surprised at a 2-0!

No, we break out today. I can see it unfolding.

Liam is back! Welcome back, mate. We've got a full house this weekend.

You still sure welch??? We are all over them but this 2nd goal is just not coming! Lassad on for Sammy though....maybe he can find another goal!

Great striker's finish from Hooper. Not the romp I expected in terms of goal count, but certianly in terms of play.

HOOOOOOOPPPPPEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!

Corner swung in by Mulgrew, ball drops from the players going for a header and Hooper manages to hook it into the roof of the net!

2-0

A nice emphatic win. No one can complain. St. Mirren defended stoutly and got a few lucky breaks. It could have been much more lopsided.

It could have only been more lopsided in the score! haha! St Mirren defended well and should be quite proud of that, but they really need to learn to attack if they want to get anywhere in the league this season! It really was quite pitiful!

From our point of view......brilliantly controlled game, the players didn't get flustered or desperate, we camped in their half of the pitch and just kept trying to find that way through to goal. It does make me think there is still a type of player we are lacking though......that skillful little player who can unlock a defence, take a man on and beat him!

I don't care what any of you say........Paddy is not that man......or at least not anymore! Ibrahim is close to that sort of player but is still lacking a little. We need a David Silva/Juan Mata style of player.....clearly that isn't easy to find or buy but our scouting network should now have surely found someone......

Latest Celtic News