vs Hearts (League Cup) | Page 2 | Vital Football

vs Hearts (League Cup)

FT 3-0 but not as comfortable as the scoreline suggests.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing is that we kept a clean sheet!

Scepovic managed to be offside for his only real chance. I for one am shocked and stunned... ;-)

I caught parts of the game. Alexander was pressed into a few fine saves and it was a somewhat comfortable win. But as Tic points out, we are still far too susceptible to a laugher of a giveaway.

On to individual performances. Brown, Stokes and Guidetti were all terrific. So was Izzy except for his one boner when he was lucky not to gift them a goal and be the match's goat. We did create some very good pressure. Had everyone taken the good chances, we'd have won 5-2.

That does mean we're leaky at the back. There has to be a way to shut teh back door when pressing forward.

Deila was asked about conceding goals after the game and he actually said he would rather win 5-4 than win 1-0........This is a huge change in attitude and will take time for the fans to adjust. We are used to being dominant enough that we can be solid at the back and still go up and score plenty of goals. The difference with RD is that we need to make sure we actually get the goals, otherwise that mentality doesn't work!

So that explains why we seem so barn door wide open at times in defence, don't expect that to change oon either lads!
I think the problem there is that we can't do that against the really top teams in Europe and he will have to understand that!

We've got a derby in the next round, we're at home to Partick Thistle!

It's a daft game plan. Brendan Rogers realized it at Liverpool and brought in Lovren to anchor his defense. If your team has firepower, there will be games when you rattle the post five times and lose 2-1. Or there will be games when someone like Mourinho figures out a way to bottle up your favorite attacking zones.

When you have a stout defense, you can actually beat anyone. Lenny's success in Europe was always about defense, possession and playing a very tall, big starting XI to dominate set pieces and it worked pretty well. This does explain our current uneven play. Not only do we have new personnel, but the incumbent players are learning to play a run-and-gun game. Lenny wanted to boss the midfield. Deila wants to win a track meet. I don't like it.

For supporting documents to the post above, see:
Morbray, Tony, and short Celtic managerial career, p. 167

From what I've seen this season, Lovren has been pish for Liverpool so far! In theory Rodgers did the right thing in bringing in a good CB but so far Lovren is struggling to live up to what is expected of him!

Latest Celtic News