Vote for Billy Knott | Vital Football

Vote for Billy Knott

Kentishimp

Vital Squad Member
Sky sports goal of the week contender

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11010560/watch-and-vote-goals-koke-marco-asensio-franck-nouble-and-billy-knott-feature

Isn't it now time for Billy to be given a starting berth? I presume he will start tonight at Mansfield, but he must be getting very close to getting the nod against Luton on Saturdfay.

The Imposter - 29/8/2017 11:01

Isn't it now time for Billy to be given a starting berth? I presume he will start tonight at Mansfield, but he must be getting very close to getting the nod against Luton on Saturdfay.

Instead of who, though?

I just don't think he can be plugged into our current formation, unless he comes in for Rheady or Green and plays behind them. I'd be wary of playing him alongside JMD in a 4-2-3-1 as I don't think either of them does enough work off the ball to play both.

Put him in instead of Green and that means Rheady up top which means no-one running the channels or closing down across the width of the opponents back four. Put him in instead of Rheady and we have no out ball whatsoever and can't really compete for 2nd balls in the opponents half.

He's class on the ball around the opponents box and in their half and when we're chasing the game he can change it in a moment, maybe he'll get more game time when Ginelly is fit and we have a higher work rate off the ball on the opposite side to Nathan...

Sincilbanks - 29/8/2017 12:23

I just don't think he can be plugged into our current formation, unless he comes in for Rheady or Green and plays behind them. I'd be wary of playing him alongside JMD in a 4-2-3-1 as I don't think either of them does enough work off the ball to play both.

Put him in instead of Green and that means Rheady up top which means no-one running the channels or closing down across the width of the opponents back four. Put him in instead of Rheady and we have no out ball whatsoever and can't really compete for 2nd balls in the opponents half.

He's class on the ball around the opponents box and in their half and when we're chasing the game he can change it in a moment, maybe he'll get more game time when Ginelly is fit and we have a higher work rate off the ball on the opposite side to Nathan...
JMD must be the one closest to being dropped. I've seen him twice, and not been impressed at all. Didn't go on Saturday, but my mate, who took my ticket, said he was canine faeces!

As mentioned above, there is only really be one candidate for the drop, Jordan Maguire-Drew, I'm afraid.

plumbob - 29/8/2017 04:35

JMD must be the one closest to being dropped. I've seen him twice, and not been impressed at all. Didn't go on Saturday, but my mate, who took my ticket, said he was canine faeces!

You may be correct that he is the closeset to being dropped, but I am going to stick up for him in respect of Saturday...

...he was part of a very disciplined midfield four that constantly forced Carlisle back and into launching long balls forward for Waterfall and Raggett to easily deal with. He was not seen at his best as an attacking option on Saturday because of the disciplined game plan - which may be telling in the fact he has been picked ahead of Anderson. He was much more to the fore against Morecambe as an attacking force (though dead ball delivery was not as good as it should be) and was only denied a marvellous goal by a superb save.

I've heard a couple of mumbles about JMD (and some about Arnold) but being a wide player isn't always about flying down the wing, beating defenders and putting in crosses. Both he and Arnold appear to be able to play the disciplined role that on occasions Danny clearly demands of his players.

We are fortunate to have these options and Anderson and Ginelly chomping at the bit to get a chance...

Older fans (like me, for instance) still think of a winger as part of the forward line, and as another name for the traditional outside right or outside left if you are an even older fan. Those players had very few defensive duties, which is partly why the game since the 1960s has become far more defensive with fewer goals scored. Today's wingers are viewed as part of the midfield, with defensive duties to attend to as well as attacking. That means the days of the flying winger who attacked and did very little else are long gone, yet some of us still think of wingers in that way. We are disappointed when they appear to offer little going forward, but that might be their allotted role in any given game. Can you imagine John Robertson playing today? Football has changed tactically in many ways, but no player's role has been affected as significantly.

Scotimp - 29/8/2017 09:05

Older fans (like me, for instance) still think of a winger as part of the forward line, and as another name for the traditional outside right or outside left if you are an even older fan. Those players had very few defensive duties, which is partly why the game since the 1960s has become far more defensive with fewer goals scored. Today's wingers are viewed as part of the midfield, with defensive duties to attend to as well as attacking. That means the days of the flying winger who attacked and did very little else are long gone, yet some of us still think of wingers in that way. We are disappointed when they appear to offer little going forward, but that might be their allotted role in any given game. Can you imagine John Robertson playing today? Football has changed tactically in many ways, but no player's role has been affected as significantly.

Ah the good old days of a front 5, 3 in the middle and just 2 at the back.

Big Jack McGinley - 29/8/2017 13:42

plumbob - 29/8/2017 04:35

You may be correct that he is the closeset to being dropped, but I am going to stick up for him in respect of Saturday...

...he was part of a very disciplined midfield four that constantly forced Carlisle back and into launching long balls forward for Waterfall and Raggett to easily deal with. He was not seen at his best as an attacking option on Saturday because of the disciplined game plan - which may be telling in the fact he has been picked ahead of Anderson. He was much more to the fore against Morecambe as an attacking force (though dead ball delivery was not as good as it should be) and was only denied a marvellous goal by a superb save.

I've heard a couple of mumbles about JMD (and some about Arnold) but being a wide player isn't always about flying down the wing, beating defenders and putting in crosses. Both he and Arnold appear to be able to play the disciplined role that on occasions Danny clearly demands of his players.

We are fortunate to have these options and Anderson and Ginelly chomping at the bit to get a chance...
As I said, can t comment on Saturday as I wasn't there. Think my problem may be the fuss made on here when his signing was initially on the cards. Quite a few were practically creaming themselves. I just haven't seen anything that even closely justifies that hype.
Early days and I hope he improves to match that anticipation.

I would switch Knott in for Rhead, and Harry/Josh for JMD.

Rhead is sitting too deep and leaving Green too isolated up front. We can't afford to drop Green as he has been outstanding so far. Nothing against the big man but would have him as an impact player from the bench to smash up the opposition for the last 20 mins or so.

Knott should play. After seeing him play wide right for 15 mins on Saturday he can probably play anywhere across midfield. As well as all the great touches, set pieces and thought and movement, he was disciplined, working hard to close the ball down and tracking back. A midfielder would not get in a Cowley team without doing this. And as we seem to be playing with a tighter, narrower midfield than last year, without flying wingers (until later in the game), then Knott would be ideal wide-ish too. So he could replace JMD and not Rhead.