Villa v West Ham Match Thread - Sun 22 Oct - 4.30pm | Vital Football

Villa v West Ham Match Thread - Sun 22 Oct - 4.30pm

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
I can't wait any longer!!!

These international breaks are a steaming pile of s***e and I am BANG UP for this one. ALthough Sunday late kick offs are not my favourite.

What do we think boys and girls?

Our home record is imperious of late, but I think Spam will offer a challenge. We have yet to beat them since we came back up - drawn 3, lost 5. But in fairness, the Sultan of Unai is unbeaten against them since taking over, so I'm not unduly worried...

It would be surprising if this game went any other way than them sitting deep and firing long balls over the top. Think we will need to play DC as both Konsa and Pau might struggle against Antonio from a power and pace viewpoint. Bowen charging down our left side isn't going to make it any easier.

Cash and Digne providing width suits a game like this where they will sit deep and compact.

Positives, Moreno will hopefully make the bench, Ollie should come back with a good streak of confidence and Diaby/Dougie will be well rested.

8 years since we beat this mob. Shocking record really. Time to break the hoodoo.

They'll sit back and lump it up. We'll have to be patient. They've started well but we should beat them.

Tough game against a direct competitor. If we have any aspirations of higher level European football, this is the kind of game that we should be looking to win. Yes they've had some decent results this season and yes, our recent record against them is very poor, but this is a home game, hopefully JJ and Moreno are available for all or part of the game and I'm optimistic that we can get the result that we need.

At this end of the table, every game is important. We need to be at our best in all departments, but I believe that the home crowd will be the deciding factor. Douggie and Bouba will be the deciding factor - control the midfield and therefore the ball and we'll be fine.

COYVB :utv:

I always worry about West Ham. But I do take confidence from our home form in the league, how great it would be to make it 11 in a row.

I'm still not used to having such a degree of confidence before a game... in our ability to win it if we turn up and do the plan. I've always been generally optimistic by nature going into games but with the current setup it feels more logical to think we may actually win a game rather than just blind hope. Nice innit.

I'm at a wedding this weekend and travelling back on the Sunday which puts into jeopardy my being able to watch this game, but I'm determined that I will one way or another.

We have an appalling record against West Ham since returning to the Premier League in 2019 and still haven't beaten them, even last season when we finished 21 points ahead of them we still didn't beat them and only took 1 point. Obviously need to watch Ward Prowse from set pieces, Bowen's pace from counter attacks, and Paqueta is a quality player. I think they're a good side and will challenge for the top 7 positions, but we've won 10 in a row at home in the league so anything other than 3 points will feel disappointing.

The Zaniolo situation is not ideal but he has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing and his agent assures of his innocence, therefore we should play him in this one.

My team:
Martinez
Cash Konsa Pau Digne
Kamara Luiz
Diaby McGinn Zaniolo
Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Carlos, Lenglet, Moreno (if fit), Dendoncker, Tielemans, Ramsey/ Traore (depending on if Ramsey fit enough), Bailey, Duran

I'm at a wedding this weekend and travelling back on the Sunday which puts into jeopardy my being able to watch this game, but I'm determined that I will one way or another.

We have an appalling record against West Ham since returning to the Premier League in 2019 and still haven't beaten them, even last season when we finished 21 points ahead of them we still didn't beat them and only took 1 point. Obviously need to watch Ward Prowse from set pieces, Bowen's pace from counter attacks, and Paqueta is a quality player. I think they're a good side and will challenge for the top 7 positions, but we've won 10 in a row at home in the league so anything other than 3 points will feel disappointing.
Fancy getting married in the football season after the international break, there are some strange folks about. My brother got married on September the 1st which was a Friday, simply because he knew I wouldn't go if it clashed with a Villa home game. I warned him a year in advance

The Zaniolo situation is not ideal but he has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing and his agent assures of his innocence, therefore we should play him in this one.

My team:
Martinez
Cash Konsa Pau Digne
Kamara Luiz
Diaby McGinn Zaniolo
Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Carlos, Lenglet, Moreno (if fit), Dendoncker, Tielemans, Ramsey/ Traore (depending on if Ramsey fit enough), Bailey, Duran
Depends on what frame of mind Zaniolo is in and what Unai thinks. I guess we'll find out more at his press doodah on Friday

I'll never forgive them for ruining my honeymoon. First day in The Maldives and sat in paradise next to a fat bald cockney twunt in West Ham top as they beat us 4-0 thanks to a Marlon Harewood hat-trick! Yes Marlon fecking Harewood scored 3 goals in 1 match. Unbelievable.

I'll never forgive them for ruining my honeymoon. First day in The Maldives and sat in paradise next to a fat bald cockney twunt in West Ham top as they beat us 4-0 thanks to a Marlon Harewood hat-trick! Yes Marlon fecking Harewood scored 3 goals in 1 match. Unbelievable.
I still haven't got over the F.A.Cup quarter final defeat in 1980.

I've been told to let it go , but it's not that easy.

Fancy getting married in the football season after the international break, there are some strange folks about. My brother got married on September the 1st which was a Friday, simply because he knew I wouldn't go if it clashed with a Villa home game. I warned him a year in advance
Hard core, Villan57.