Views on signings | Vital Football

Views on signings

AbelBFC

Vital Football Legend
Adi Yussuf:
Clearly has ability, hence why Leicester took him on as a youth and various Football League clubs have taken punts on him.

Can hold the ball up and bring others into the game, and can be a nuisance to opposition defences. Doesn't do either consistently enough though; too often finds himself on the periphery of games and being carried by his team mates.

Comes to life in the eighteen yard box, although his finishing can leave a bit to be desired at times.

However, he's struggled massively with fitness throughout his career and has never been to cope with the demands of training full time; hence why he's bounced from club to club and rattled around in non league.

I genuinely don't think we'd have looked at him had he not played well against us (Terry taking the Colin Hendry approach to scouting; John Doolan anyone?) and a two year deal is incredibly generous. I genuinely don't think he'll see the two years out, and don't see him as an upgrade on the forwards who have left.

All for taking the odd punt in the transfer market, but this one looks misguided to me. I'm always wary of singing players after a 'career year'.

Rating: 1/5

Ryan Edwards:
Ticks three big boxes for Terry. 1) He's worked with him before, 2) he's Scouse, 3) he's 6 foot plus (anyone get the feeling that despite all the talk of wanting to play football, we're going to be direct?).

Fair play to the lad for beating cancer and returning to the professional game; a tremendous achievement. Believe he played when nowhere near full fitness to help Plymouth out, which says a lot about his character.

Fair play to him as well for adding goals to his game; we're crying out for centre halves who can chip in (providing our set piece delivery improves!).

He's also relatively comfortable on the ball. All good so far. However...

He's frightfully slow and by all accounts often has to be bailed out by a pacier partner at the back (Tilt... if he stays).

He ball watches, and doesn't use his size to his advantage and really attack the ball when defending.

He piles up the bookings (often caused by his distinct lack of pace) and gets his fair share of reds too.

It also concerns me that the only other clubs, as I understand it, to make him offers were Bristol Rovers and Tranmere; two sides I expect to be scrapping to stay in the division.

Rating: 2/5

Jamie Devitt:
Obviously has talent and is comfortable on the ball.

Comes alive in the eighteen yard box (although has only consistently chipped in with goals in the last two years), but where I think he provides real value for us is with creating goals; he's chalked up a good number of assists throughout his career.

That said, he can be criminally inconsistent. Although you can excuse some of this because managers have played him in various different positions, when he's not on his game his team mates end up carrying him; a bit like Yussuf.

That probably explains why only clubs in the division below were looking at him until we came along.

Central midfield now looks crowded; it'll be interesting to see how this one shakes out.

Rating: 3/5

Ben Tollitt:
Another familiar face for Terry. Another Scouser. Another tall player.

Injuries have derailed him (why do we always seem to sign this type of player?!), but there is talent there. Capable of producing quality finishes and assists on his day.

Lightning fast and we are crying out for pace, but very weak and gets bullied off the ball a lot.

Can be very frustrating and wasteful in possession; your typical winger really.

Only ever produced in the Conference, so again a two year deal looks generous (especially when you factor in his injury history).

Another punt and another underwhelming signing, despite the fact it's good to see us going business early.

Rating: 2/5

I saw the pisser behind the stands twice playing for Stags and was impressed. My Stags mate did respond that they were the best two games he had played for them though so Abel is probably about right.

Adi Yussuf:
Thought he played well v us. Talks about changing his lifestyle, at his age probably his 'last chance' to make it at this level.
Got to be better than Clayton

Ryan Edwards:
Heneghans dodgy start was eventually ironed out. Interesting to see his pace, thought we got caught out too many times last season by the long ball over the top.
he has got to be faster than Daniels, who had the turning circle of the Amaco Cadiz.

Jamie Devitt:
Creativity has been missing from us. Thinking with this signing that Ryan may have already cut himself adrift from Scousepool FC.

Ben Tollitt:
The fact that McP has seen him before means he must rate him. Clayton springs to mind, similar length contract too.
Decent build for a winger.

Other than Edwards I would consider all squad players.

Think Edwards is a straight replacement for Heneghan.
Yussuf has no chance of shifting Frenchie.
Devitt, probably behind a fit Callum Guy, Virtue and Spearing in my pecking order.
Tollitt, Delf will be a starter ahead of him.

I don't think Gnaduillet is a problem - he scores goals and ultimately if you're striker can do that and more he'd be playing at a higher level.

The issue for me this season was a lack of pace and creativity in the midfield/wings. It's fine to have a Spearing/Virtue midfield if the other 2/3 midfield/wingers have 5-6 goals each with some creativity from them as well.

Agreed Inside, I remember the Fonz getting taken off to be replaced by Donevan as a winger now that was strange

I think Frenchie's attitude has improved greatly and as his work rate.
I also think he gets frustrated and is guaranteed a red card every season.
I agree that we don't play to play to his strengths too, watch the second goal from the cods game and his touch in taking the ball down - it's quite exquisite.

Very true - that first touch was sublime. If a Real Madrid player or a Barcelona player had done that we'd be watching the replay for weeks.

I'm a big fan of Frenchie. He is definitely talented and has a lot to put up with in terms of hard tackling/fouls from opponents and some substandard support from teammates. He's improved his workrate considerably in the last season and I'm sure will do better this time.

New Blackpool defender Ryan Edwards has revealed he was close to joining the Seasiders when Gary Bowyer was in charge.

The 25-year-old, who joined the club earlier this month, was contacted by Bowyer in the summer of 2017.
However, the centre- back had already pledged to join Plymouth Argyle, where he has spent the last two seasons.
Despite Argyle’s relegation to League Two in May, Edwards insists he has no regrets over that decision.
He said: “Funnily enough, when Gary Bowyer was here I nearly signed then but I’d already agreed to join Plymouth.
“I had a flight booked and I was on my way down there to sign when he rang me to try and turn me around.
“But I had made a promise to Plymouth. I kept to my word and signed there for two years.
“If it was earlier (Bowyer’s call), you never know what could have happened but that’s in the past now and we have to move forward.”
Edwards joined Blackpool on a free transfer after turning down a new deal at Home Park, where he made 38 appearances.
The defender, who had a spell on loan with Fleetwood Town, has agreed a two-year deal with the Seasiders.
The Liverpudlian knows manager Terry McPhillips well, having played under him in Blackburn Rovers’ youth system.
Edwards, who has also featured for Rochdale, Morecambe and Tranmere Rovers, admits it’s good to be back in the north-west but says he’s prepared to play wherever is best for his career.
He added: “It seems not so long ago I was wearing red up the road in Morecambe.
“As you get older the years seem to go quicker, the seasons seem to go quicker and the summers seem to go quicker. Here I am now back up north and it’s nice to be back.
“I wouldn’t say it was always my plan to come back. If I’m honest, before the Blackpool interest I was pretty close to signing somewhere else down south.
“That’s not a problem to me, where I’m living. I loved living down south. It was a great experience and a lovely place to live.
“I’d recommend it to anyone who gets the opportunity because it gets you out of your comfort zone as a player and as a man.
“It doesn’t matter for me where the location is – it’s what is best for my football career.
“After speaking to Blackpool I decided that is what is good for me.”

I'm a big fan of Frenchie. He is definitely talented and has a lot to put up with in terms of hard tackling/fouls from opponents and some substandard support from teammates. He's improved his workrate considerably in the last season and I'm sure will do better this time.
When you say he is definitely talented, does that mean he can sing or perhaps perform magic tricks or maybe even dance a little ? ?

Sulley Kaikai:
I feel that Simon Sadler has over-egged this signing a bit, but nevertheless it's our best bit of summer business to date.

I also wouldn't class him as an out and out winger; more an attacking midfielder capable of playing anywhere across the front line.

Loves getting shots off from range, and has a good record of scoring from outside of the area. Having done so well in this area in our first season back in this league, we completely tailed off last season so he should prove to be a real asset in that regard.

He's also a good free kick taker, and god knows we need that.

I wouldn't say he has searing pace for a winger or loads of tricks up his sleeve; I'd expect to see him cut inside and go for goal a lot more than looking to beat a man and get a cross in.

Palace have a decent track record in developing young players and although his career hasn't gone 100% as planned, he does have a track record of producing at this level. The key for him going forward will be consistency.

For me this is the sort of signing we should be looking to make a consistent basis; young, free, and potential to develop. If he doesn't kick on then little harm done, but if he does then he can either develop alongside the club or we can sell him and reinvest accordingly (good use of a 2+1 deal with this signing).

Rating: 4/5

I like that Abel. As you say young and potential, massive bonus on set piece delivery. I’m really hoping that he has a point to prove and will therefore kick on

Ryan Hardie:

Think people may have gotten a bit carried away with this signing, so I'm going to temper expectations a little.

Is he the sort of player we should be targeting? Yes. He's young, has the potential to develop, has an eye for goal, is hard working and came recommended by no less than 3 people the club spoke to (cannot fault the due diligence on this one). It's good to see us willing to spend some money too; £150,000 could look like a bargain if he clicks (although you imagine that Rangers will have worked a sell on clause into the deal).

However, he's struggled with injuries in the past and for a tall lad he's actually rather slight and you'd question whether he's capable of playing up top on his own (if Larry intends on playing 442 then the squad looks unbalanced). Scottish football is also notoriously weak.

Jak Alnwick:

Again, I fear that people may have gotten a little carried away here.

Is he an upgrade on the current competition for Mafoumbi (given Howard's injury situation)? Undoubtedly yes... and him signing makes a mockery of Terry giving Boney a two year deal; Larry clearly doesn't fancy him at all.

However, he's very much in the mould of Paul Rachubka. Excellent reflexes, but iffy handling and doesn't command his area. Not the best at dealing with crosses either and can be rash at coming off his line (leaving him out of position when his parry lands back with the opposition...). Didn't have the best defence in front of him last season though, so we may see some improvement here.

A loan deal (with a recall clause in January) is low risk for us however and works for all parties.

If he impresses then he is available on a free in the summer.

James Husband:

There are two negatives to this deal: 1) it would seem to indicate that our best player (Bola) is off and 2) his conduct when we played Fleetwood last season. Apart from that, this is a good bit of business by us.

His last two permanent moves haven't worked out; he perhaps shouldn't have moved to Boro given the form George Friend was in (he'd won Boro's Player of the Year award in the two seasons immediately before Husband signed for them), and he suffered from the Norwich squad taking a while to adjust to how Farke wanted to play.

He's done well out on loan though; for Fleetwood last season and Huddersfield as an emergency loan in the season they got promoted to the Premier League.

Like Bola he likes to bomb forward, and has on occasion even played in midfield. Good turn of pace and capable of putting decent crosses in. Relatively comfortable on the ball too at this level.

He's solid enough at the back but can be a little feisty with his challenges at times; he'll need to be careful not to get yellows early on in games and dilute his effectiveness.

He's on decent money and Norwich are paying a good proportion of his wages whilst he's here, so there's minimal risk attached to the deal for us.

He is out of contract at Norwich at the end of the season and has already been told he's going to be released (they didn't involve him in their first team's pre-season training this summer at all, hence why he leapt at the chance to come here), so it gives us a good opportunity to look at him and see if we fancy him on a permanent basis.

He might have had a rocky time of it of late, but he's only 25 and seems like the sort of player who tends to do well here.

Rating: 4/5

Rocky Bushiri:

Reminds me of when we signed Danny XXXXXXtu; great name, but no one knew who he was!

Like XXXXXXtu he excels in the air and is a strong lad. Highly thought of in coaching circles, Norwich actually only paid £100,000 for him and I imagine they'll be keeping a close eye on him to see how he copes with the transition to English football.

Suspect this may be a signing that I have to revise my mark for as the season progresses.

Joe Nuttall

Raw potential. He had it right in his interview when he signed when he said he needs first team games now to develop; U23 games will only tell you so much.

Seen a lot about him being strong and good in the air. I actually disagree with this and think he needs to work hard(er) at this part of his game.

He's better on the deck where he has a yard of pace, can link play and run the channels.

Has an eye for goal, as his goals per minutes ratio shows.

It'd be interesting to know what we've paid for him. 3+1 deal suggests a decent wedge (although he did have 2 years to run at Blackburn), so pressure on him early doors - and indeed on Larry. Reassuring though that Grayson has seen him at close quarters.

Again, one I'll probably have to re-visit.

And before the month of August is out I'm already having to re-visit one of my 'insights'!

Here's what I posted about Devitt initially:

Jamie Devitt:
Obviously has talent and is comfortable on the ball.

Comes alive in the eighteen yard box (although has only consistently chipped in with goals in the last two years), but where I think he provides real value for us is with creating goals; he's chalked up a good number of assists throughout his career.

That said, he can be criminally inconsistent. Although you can excuse some of this because managers have played him in various different positions, when he's not on his game his team mates end up carrying him; a bit like Yussuf.

That probably explains why only clubs in the division below were looking at him until we came along.

Central midfield now looks crowded; it'll be interesting to see how this one shakes out.

Well it certainly was interesting to see how it shook out... with Devitt being the first out of the door without even kicking a ball for us! I suspect some on here will be very disappointed that he wasn't given a chance.

He's been unlucky in the sense that he was signed by the previous manager and the shape that we've started the season with doesn't suit him; he prefers to play as part of a midfield three or in the hole behind the attacker(s).

That said, he has not helped himself at all and has failed to impress Larry in his (limited) opportunities to do so.

Whilst the likes of Feeney, Thompson and Guy (in pre-season) have risen to the challenge and shown plenty of application when asked to do things that deviate from their natural game, Devitt hasn't and I'm of the understanding that he hasn't impressed in training at all - particularly when asked to impose himself on 'games' physically.

I did make the point when we signed him that we were the only club above League Two who were interested in him this summer and ultimately that's where he's ended up again. That's his level; an upper end League Two team rather than an upper end League One team.

Whilst we've wasted money on him (in terms of signing on fee), at least Terry's done us a favour to make amends by recommending him to his/our good mate Gary Bowyer. Bradford were the only serious candidates to land him as Devitt was desperate for a club that is commutable from his home in Manchester.

We'll not see him back here... as I saw on Twitter earlier this week, even Zarko Grabovac managed to get on the pitch for us!

Revised rating: 1/5