VAR | Vital Football

VAR

Great, a five minute wait to see who gets a throw-in.

Well tennis is I guess the best at use of such technology. And they still have all those silly line judges stood around with their hands on their knees.
So can't see us binning the linesmen just yet....

Well tennis is I guess the best at use of such technology. And they still have all those silly line judges stood around with their hands on their knees.
So can't see us binning the linesmen just yet....
They use the technology, much like cricket, where there are a limited number of requests for each side. As I see it, that's the job sorted!

They use the technology, much like cricket, where there are a limited number of requests for each side. As I see it, that's the job sorted!
100% agree. Best of both worlds and should help stop some of the ludicrous stuff going on now, like Raheem Sterling’s fingernail being offside a couple of weeks ago.

It's a non story as per most things the Mail churn out. VAR will settle down in due course but there is no way FIFA will remove linespersons ( to be completely PC ) as that would hinder referees not help them. They might I suppose get rid of those behind the goal you see in European matches whose exact role is not really clear

VAR is shambolic, it creates just as much controversy as it seeks to remove.

Ludicrously tiny offside measurements that can't actually be made to that degree of accuracy, ridiculous changes to the handball rule made specifically for VAR which have cost two points already to both Wolves and Man City....

Not going back for fouls as it was too early in the play - another entirely abritray measure which could have cost Chelsea. Sheffield United fans asking why VAR wasn't used to chalk off Leicester's wonder-goal winner.....

Even if VAR had been in use in our game on Saturday would the foul on Andrade been a penalty or not? Even those who've seen replays can't agree. Would we have gained two penalites or also lost two for those handballs Doncaster appealed for?

Even a curmudgeon like me may be able to see some benefit in very limited circumstances but this has every sign of being a curse on football at the top level.

The irony is that in cricket, a game which is not only much more suited to video evidence and where they've had it for many years, so by now it should be refined, a clearly "wrong" decision was made at a crucial point that altered the outcome of the match.

Those are the rules as they stand, and correctly applied. But what's the point of pretending it's to get "correct" decisions?

For football, it's worse, and it will still be mired in controversy with or without VAR.

It's not just VAR per se, it's a combination of that, stupid rule changes (which VAR have been correctly applying, like the handball in the Man City game last week) and VAR officials not wanting to undermine the match referees as well.

The level for them to get involved is far too high at the minute. It's raising more questions at the minute.

I'm not keen on the whole 1cm offside thing. That's not even a talking point on a Monday morning if it's scored against you.

It's not just VAR per se, it's a combination of that, stupid rule changes (which VAR have been correctly applying, like the handball in the Man City game last week) and VAR officials not wanting to undermine the match referees as well.

The level for them to get involved is far too high at the minute. It's raising more questions at the minute.

I'm not keen on the whole 1cm offside thing. That's not even a talking point on a Monday morning if it's scored against you.

The handball rule change is BECAUSE of VAR.

As for tight offsides that is completely false accuracy. To quote something posted from someone on a different forum:

"they're using 50fps footage, shot at an angle, from a fair distance away. An inch could be lost in a few fuzzy pixels of motion blur, the ball being played, there's no chance they actually know when it starts travelling at that frame rate"

The handball rule change is BECAUSE of VAR.

As for tight offsides that is completely false accuracy. To quote something posted from someone on a different forum:

"they're using 50fps footage, shot at an angle, from a fair distance away. An inch could be lost in a few fuzzy pixels of motion blur, the ball being played, there's no chance they actually know when it starts travelling at that frame rate"

Yes exactly that. The picture resolution and fps as you say, make these tiny offside decisions totally utterly arbitrary.
If VAR is going to be used at all, it should only be to correct clear errors that officials should have been able to see. It would not be possible for a linesmen to see a mm offside in a tiny fraction of a second. It has got quite ludicrous.
The Man City goal ruled out because the ball wafted over the Man City forward's sleeve (but without any change of flight of the ball) was an obvious ridiculous decision based on a ridiculous law change. One thing that didn't get commented on was that in the replays that showed the ball passing over the arm, a moment before a defender had tugged at that same arm's shirt sleeve. If they want to start applying these laws to the absolute letter, a penalty should have been awarded instead.
But then you may get penalties awarded nearly every time a corner kick is taken.

So how about, as has been suggested, that instead of some distant referee bod sat in a cabin of tv screens making up his own decisions, let each team have say one appeal per half or per 30 mins extra time, to ask for VAR review. Appeal can come from the captain on the pitch or the manager off it.
That should cut it right down with appeals only coming when there is a real feeling of an error.

VAR is a dreadful solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'd probably stop watching football if it was applied to our level in its current form.

Football has sold itself to TV and gambling.

The latter may be pressing the former to provide as many "correct" decisions as possible.

Football has sold itself to TV and gambling.

The latter may be pressing the former to provide as many "correct" decisions as possible.
Not sure that gambling operators will gain anything from it. A close decision could just as easily work against their most profitable outcome. Unless they start taking bets on the outcome of the VAR decision, as they do on photo finishes on the racecourse.

According to Ian Holloway the reason we have VAR is because of the EU and if Brexit had been sorted by now we wouldn't be using it, priceless funniest thing I've heard in ages!

I think it's brilliant and has been needed for a long time.

If it "roots" out the cheating drivers it has great value.

Remember Henry's handball for France against the ROI? That wouldn't have stood.

I am sure its use in the top tournaments and leagues will mean that, in time, there is less cheating lower down the pyramid.

The PL having been asking for technology for years, as there's so much money and people's jobs on the line. Now whining that someone's armpit is 1cm offside. Can't have it both ways.