VAR again | Vital Football

VAR again

Gills 58

Vital Champions League
When I began watchin football, it was a penalty if you deliberately handled the ball in the area.

I've just seen Shalke get a pen thanks to VAR when Otamendi clearly tried to get his arm out of the way of the ball, let alone try to handle the ball. No way was that "deliberate" as I understand it.

Should players have their arms strapped behind their backs in case it hits them? Perhaps that isn't enough. Maybe have them amputated.

Plus the tv screen the ref wanted to check wasn't working. How was that original decision not to give it a "clear and obvious error"?

For handballs, wouldn't it just be easier if they did away with the whole idea of "deliberate"? A foul often isn't deliberate, it's just a mistimed challenge, but the team committing the foul gains an advantage from it (regaining possession, slowing down an attack, etc.), so the free kick's given. Should be the same with handball, I reckon. If a team has gained an advantage from the ball hitting their hand (a shot is blocked, a pass intercepted, etc.), regardless of whether it's deliberate or not, that should be a free kick/penalty. Would do away with all the arguments.

For handballs, wouldn't it just be easier if they did away with the whole idea of "deliberate"? A foul often isn't deliberate, it's just a mistimed challenge, but the team committing the foul gains an advantage from it (regaining possession, slowing down an attack, etc.), so the free kick's given. Should be the same with handball, I reckon. If a team has gained an advantage from the ball hitting their hand (a shot is blocked, a pass intercepted, etc.), regardless of whether it's deliberate or not, that should be a free kick/penalty. Would do away with all the arguments.

So, attacker can aim at an arm and if he hits it, it is a pen? Not for me.

What's the difference though between that and an attacker looking for contact with an outstretched leg and going down?

None at all. That’s not a pen in my book either. That’s cheating and a booking or send off for the striker imho. But that’s already been done to death.

All irrelevant tho. The authorities won’t change, var will stay and be used for more and more shite. Ruining the game.

That's cheating and they should be booked. Unfortunately it often "wins" a penalty as you say, but it shouldn't imo. I think Franny Lee started that

Seen both incidents and I think both penalties were harsh on City. Overall I'm in favour of VAR, but don't like how it's being implemented at present.
Any time someone goes down in the box, the players plead to the ref to check it, then there is a delay and penalties are given for incidents not even mentioned in real time play.

In fact, anybody noticed now in commentary, live updates (twitter etc) and news articles, a striker is now said to “draw the foul” when contact is made and a penalty given. Like they aren’t trying to score at all, they are just trying to get a foul awarded as their first priority.

It has become the norm that you are praised and lauded for cheating well enough to get contact from a defender and a dubious penalty given.

I don't know if VAR has been properly trialled but, so far, it's been a bit of a dog's dinner as opposed to the dog's bollocks it was supposed to be.

Agree with Madrid, if the ball hitting the arm gives an advantage to the player and his team, intentionally or inadvertently, then it's a free kick/penalty. If it's intentional then further ation should be taken.

Most strikers struggle to hit a 24ft x 8ft goal, and you think they can hit an arm? lol
Suarez used to chip the ball up at defenders and then squeel at the ref. A professional footballer can hit another player from 2 yards away.

I thought the handball in the City game was a pen, I thought refs usually base these decisions on whether the player has time to get their arm/hand out of the way of the ball..looked like he had time to me, player shooting was about 8 yards away from him. Different situation if the guy is a couple of yards away and boots it straight at opponents arm.

Second was also a pen for me, one good thing about VAR is that it should limit the amount of holding in the box, on the other hand in the Atletico game we saw Chiellini (I think) go down like he had been shot when Morata nudged him when he could see he wasn't going to win the ball. One of their defenders did the same on the first goal that did count hoping the goal would be disallowed if the decision was reviewed after.