van Persie | Vital Football

van Persie

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/van-persie-aston-villa-arsenal-14182811

Steve Bruce has revealed he decided against a swoop for former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie because he already has enough thirty-somethings at Aston Villa.

Former Premier League golden boot winner van Persie has been with Turkish side Fenerbahce since leaving Old Trafford in 2015 and secured a return home to Holland with first club Feyenoord yesterday.

But he was put to Bruce and Villa Park chiefs before his contract at Fenerbahce was ripped up and he might have wound up at B6 had the manager not been overly concerned about the average age of his promotion-chasers.

“He was wanting to come out of Turkey and we looked at it long and hard,” Bruce explained after Villa defeated Barnsley 3-1 today. “It’s not often you get the availability of somebody like Robin van Persie.

“At the moment, with what we’ve got in that position and the amount of 30-year-olds we’ve got I just decided that it’s better we look elsewhere. I wish him the best of luck. It was an interesting couple of days!”

Bruce is still hoping to sign a striker this month to compete with Scott Hogan and Keinan Davis during the second half of the season.

Think I agree not going for him, at the end of his (brilliant) career, surely the physical league of the Championship wouldn't be for him really?

BUT

Anyone know realistically who we could go for on loan?

I'd have thought the likes of Peter Crouch, but I think he's being linked to Chelsea at the moment?

We might be lucky and keep Hogan fit, if not, with Keinan still young and obviously not prolific, any injury could be a major blow to our promotion hopes, albeit we do also have goals from midfield now.

I'd be happy enough to stay as we are. I think Hogan and Davis is enough for one position and RHM is lurking around too.

I don't think Van Persie would have felt there was anything to prove at Villa Park. It would have gone similarly to Pires.

Aye, scored a belter this weekend as well.. but looks like Bruce is dead set against, so ...

I do think we might well need cover BB... it's a massive risk to rely on Hogan alone, just in case he gets an injury (lets hope not) and Keiran has struggled for goals (at his age, this is not a criticism, he was thrown in at the deep end)

Van Persie is probably too old now, and coming back to England after so long at that age would be quite difficult.

If Hogan keeps scoring then we might not need another striker, although I would be quite happy if we signed Ulloa from Leicester as we have been linked with him. He has scored goals in the championship before and did well in the premier league with Leicester. He would probably be ok for some of the lower premier league sides so I would expect he’d be more than good enough for us for the rest of the season

Think we've been pipped to Ulloa, just read something and now totally forgotten...! But think he's going elsewhere on £60k a week

We are supposed to be interested in Ulloa on loan with an option to buy. Leganes and Levante are also keen on him.

I think that could be a good deal. Can't really see us doing better than that this window.

The Fear - 21/1/2018 17:29

Think we've been pipped to Ulloa, just read something and now totally forgotten...! But think he's going elsewhere on £60k a week

Well that's just ruined my post then :3:

What's Grant Holt at these days?

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/907814/Aston-Villa-News-Leonardo-Ulloa-Crystal-Palace-Agree-Deal-Leicester-City-EFL-Championship

The Fear - 21/1/2018 17:43

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/907814/Aston-Villa-News-Leonardo-Ulloa-Crystal-Palace-Agree-Deal-Leicester-City-EFL-Championship
As I said, Ulloa would be ok for a lower premier league side and Crystal Palace would fit that bill.

That’s a shame because he would have been ideal for us. Not sure who else would be available and good enough to make an immediate impact

The Fear - 21/1/2018 17:43

Maybe Woy will send us Benteke for a few months to try and get his mojo back :19: :21:

Benteke is a disaster case at the moment. Pity, but it looks like he can't take on board what's needed to improve.

Funny thing about the Palace report is that Palace already have their quota in loan players. Presumably they'll have to ditch one of those to take Ulloa.

Agree that we need some cover if possible. Two strikers isn't enough. Unless Agnew can do the impossible and resurrect Gabby.