v.Ross County | Page 2 | Vital Football

v.Ross County

County did make it easy, but these are the games we need to run riot and we did. It's still worrisome that the Accies are up six points. We need them to drop points somewhere. Hopefully this win will give players some much-needed confidence. Ross County is weak, but this fixture has been a banana peel for us in the past, even under Lenny.

JOhansen actually looked good, though I still don't rate him as a player. Having Matthews, Lutig and McGregor back helped immensely. We got some real action up the right side, which doesn't happen with Ambrose. He's not a bad CB but awful at RB. Stokes was magnificent. So is Guidetti. We should be able to come back and take the league easily. But we'll see.

Probably was my connection.

RC allowed Johansen freedom today by not pressing us. Hence he was allowed to get forward and on the ball much more than we usually see. It was good to see. However, today has been an exception to the rule because nearly all the other spfl teams press us and put us under pressure - midfield especially. And as we've seen Johansen doesn't cope well with that.

Izzy's injury leaves us fecked, but that's what happens when you only have one left back. And Celtic only ever have one left back...

They didn't press us. I don't know why. If you give this team space, Celtic will punish. The good news is we did finish chances. We had plenty of chances to beat Hamilton and kept missing. This match was a different story.

Really good win yesterday! That's how we should be winning games exactly!

I couldn't fault a single player yesterday with the exception of one, Scepovic came on and was once again honking! He didn't show any desire to go and get a goal or win the ball, despite the fact we were 5-0 up and could easily have gotten himself a goal had he applied himself a little.

It was a different setup, at times it became 4-4-2 and at other times it was 4-3-3. Mulgrew was kind of playing on the left but would tuck in to the centre of midfield and allow Brown, Johansen and McGregor to go join the attacks. McGregor was obviously the main one to join Stokes and Guidetti up front.

I thought at first it was going to be a difficult game because the pitch was small and tight, we couldn't go through the centre but we then started getting down the wings, mainly through Izzy. Once we got the first goal, RC came out to try and get a goal and that meant they pushed higher up the pitch and were leaving spaces in behind. For the first time in a long time as far as I can remember, I saw one of our defenders play a ball long over the heads of the defenders and into space for Guidetti. It stretched the game and opened up spaces!

Johansen looked more like the player we saw last season. It's difficult to know whether he's just been out of sorts because of the new system that Deila was trying and yesterday's game was a bit more like last season so it suited him or is it purely down to his ability? I'm still split at the moment. I think he could be one of those players who only plays well in a couple of positions/systems and if he's out of those, he just doesn't seem to perform somehow.

I didn't see the challenge on Izzy but I heard it was a heavy one. I've read differing reports on which ankle it is that's hurt though. Sky Sports reported Deila as saying it wasn't the one he broke, but the Daily Record reported him saying it was. Both reported him saying they weren't too worried at the moment though. I still wouldn't be convinced that he'll be 100% for Thursday though. And Mulgrew picked up a knock on his ankle towards the end of the game too, so would be even worse if he was out too.

If both are out, or even if just Izzy is out. I think Matthews and Lustig will both play on Thursday and Matthews will switch over to the LB spot.
Other than that, I hope we change nothing other than the required Guidetti change because I don't think we'll need to. Swap Griffiths in for Guidetti.

Basically, your observations are correct, Wee Od. This team favors a more traditional formation like a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. I hope Deila takes note. Guidetti had help in the box and all three of the players moving into forward positions got goals.

Sceppo actually put in a pretty good effort. He is just no way in synch with anyone else on the team. I don't know if he is lacking paying time or is clueless but it will take time.

Apparently Deila and his team are talking about playing 2 up front....or with Kris Commons in behind.......I nearly fell over in disbelief!

This change could happen as soon as the Ross County game, especially after Leigh Griffiths has done so much to impress Deila recently, even driving 3 hours in the rain to play with the youth team against Sunderland last week! He scored 2 goals in the game, which Deila happened to also be watching!
Apparently Griffiths is working very hard to turn himself into a 24-hour footballer and is looking after his body properly now!

I read that about griffiths. He really has talent and with dedication could be quite good. Stokes went through a similar transformation under Lennon.

Deila also said that VvD is not moving in January and wants to stay. I doubt the club would sell him in January anyway. We need him in Europe and we could easily sell him in the summer window if a good offer came in.

I'll give their defense credit for pretty stout play. But the lack of chances given the many, may shots is troublesome. So is Guidetti's slump. He seems to be trying to do too much and is often forcing the issue against two or three defenders. I also think our players are trying to walk the ball over the goal line. Too deliberate. Opposition like Ross County will try to bottle up the box with a lot of players. We should take more shots from outside before the opposition has a chance to set up a defense.

It may also take time for Guidetti and Griffiths to form a partnership. We have an entirely different forward squad in Europe. Guidetti has been a lone striker in most domestic play. At one point, Deila thought Pukki was his guy! All of this has happened in about five months. In league play, I'm beginning to think our best formation may be a 3-5-2 with:

Matthews-----------VvD----------Izzy
--------------Biton---------------------------
Forrest-------Brown------Johansen----Stokes
---------Griffiths---------------------Guidetti--------

Latest Celtic News