v Motherwell | Vital Football

v Motherwell

3pm ko

Celtic: Forster; Lustig, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Izaguirre; Matthews, Brown, Mulgrew, Commons; Stokes, Pukki

Subs: Zaluska, Biton, Balde, Kayal, Atajic, Forrest, Henderson

Attacking selection with Commons, Stokes and Pukki all starting.
They'll need good service to be effective, though.

We'll likely see Forrest getting 20 mins or so later on.

C'mon the Celts! :emoticon:27 :emoticon:01

Sore one for Adam Matthews. Landed badly on his shoulder after a reckless sliding tackle inside the box...no pen, of course.

Forrest is a very early replacement for him.

Half time Celtic 1-0 Motherwell

Positive attacking 45 from us with some lovely passing football.
We've squandered three good chances and Stokes scored with the most difficult chance of all.

We should be more goals ahead on our creation and play alone, but how often have we said that?

Need to maintain, if not improve upon,. that first half performance.

Biton on for Pukki, thought he'd have replaced Izzy ( who's on a yellow..but playing well and with confidence ) with Mulgrew dropping to LB.

12 mins left.

Full time: Celtic 2, Stokes & Commons - Motherwell 0

A performance (and Celtic performers) well worthy of applause.

It was 2-0 going on 6-0. VVD & Ambrose were majestic at the back and astonishing at times going forward. Izzy played with so much confidence today he looked like the pre-injury version.
Stokes played the left midfield role really well - defensively too.

Not a bad performer on the day and some of the football we played was a joy to watch.

Well done Lenny & the bhoys! :emoticon:01 :emoticon:70

I only caught bits and pieces as I was fencing. Seems like a comprehensive victory with little threat from the opposition. I heard the tackle on Matthews was pretty vicious and no card or penalty.

Could and should have won by a shit load but considering our exertions against Barca we played very well and now we're top of the pile .......... :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01

Missed it all as I've been on a piss-up weekend in Glasgow for a friends birthday.

Sounds like we played well and got some good goals though. Need to keep the confidence going and eventually that ruthless finishing will come.

Glad to see Forrest getting back into the team, I hope he is soon going to be over his sciatica problem because even with it, when he plays he is really back on form this season.

How did Biton do? Did he get much time on the pitch to do anything?

Not good news about Matthews but Lustig has been playing well so from a RB point of view, we are OK. From a RW/RM point of view....it's not good because unless Forrest is fully fit, I think we are going to struggle. We are really lacking a pacy and skillful winger on the right, Derk is injured and from what we have seen is far better on the left than the right.

Just watching the highlights of the game.....

That "challenge" on Matthews was pretty awful. He did get the ball but that was surely still dangerous play the way he went sliding in there. Matthews saw it coming but couldn't get out of the way before he was hacked to the ground. That of course didn't cause the injury as such but I think there are many times that decision would have gone another way!

Stokes' goal was a belter, keeper was awful but it was a great hit from that angle!

Commons' goal was even better though, lovely skill to nutmeg our former captain before chipping the ball in! That's the Kris Commons we all love to see and I think would like to see a bit more of sometimes.

I'm starting to love having VVD in the team.......when he makes runs forward it usually ends up in a goal or at least a chance on goal! Fantastic stuff!!! haha!

VvD and Amborse are playing very well and linking nicely. I do think we need some more cover back there, but so far they work well together.

My guess is that in terms of cover, we may be looking to some of our youngsters. Marcus Fraser has a nasty injury but he will hopefully still come back and continue where he left off. Stuart Findlay is a promising CB who has had a bit of time in the first team now. Jackson Irvine is doing well at Kilmarnock and was fantastic in pre-season. There is also Calum Waters who looked to be a decent LB and Darnell Fisher who did well at RB.

So we have players coming through, if Fraser hadn't got that injury, he'd probably be that back-up already. Apparently Lewis Toshney is still around the club as well. He was really good for Dundee last season but I'm not sure what the plan was with him this season. Apparently he has been injured at the start of this season.

I still think we do need some back-up at LB so maybe someone who can play CB and LB will be a good idea for us.

We need cover at right back right now.

In other news, total blow job of that creep Nacho Novo in the Daily Mail. The writer is still swallowing after that one.

Not so much with RB I don't think. Ambrose can move there, Fisher has shown he is competent for the league if needs be. I think if really necessary, you could even use Kayal or Biton at RB. McGeouch has been tried at RB as well, if you were quite desperate you could try that as an option as well.

Sorry lads, can't be arsed with internationals so gave myself thw week off :emoticon:17 :emoticon:87 :emoticon:76 :emoticon:78

:emoticon:72 :emoticon:65 :emoticon:71

:emoticon:89 & :emoticon:90

:emoticon:58

AM is a big loss. Not only was he in great form but he also covered two positions on our right; rb and rm. Speedy recovery!

Latest Celtic News