Ups and Downs | Page 12 | Vital Football

Ups and Downs

Wycombe have lasted by far the longest of the teams who weren't league clubs before automatic promotion relegation in 1987.
Most last a few seasons and disappear again

You could argue Accrington Stanley are technically a new team and are now approaching 20 seasons .
Fleetwood, Burton , Stevenage & Crawley all arrived reasonably similar times (between 2008-2012) , couple of them at least 2 seasons away from dropping out .

NLS:
Worthing 2 Maidstone 1
Worthing play Braintree in the final.

NLN:
Brackley 1 Chorley 0
Brackley play Boston in the final.

A record 2,858 at Worthing; Biff Calder with the Brackley winner.

Last edited:
NLN:
Brackley 1 Chorley 0
That fixture really highlights the relative geographical spreads of the NLN and NLS, when you consider that Brackley lies between Banbury and Milton keynes, but is in the North division

And it's Bromley v Solihull for a League 2 place next season.

Grant Smith still in goal for Bromley might get a return to the EFL. Personally and purely for geographical reasons with the chance of us playing them in the League Cup or Trophy I'll be rooting for Solihull.

NLS:
Worthing 2 Maidstone 1
Worthing play Braintree in the final.

NLN:
Brackley 1 Chorley 0

A record 2,858 at Worthing; Biff Calder with the Brackley winner.
Joan Luque is registered with Worthing FC - don't know if he has played recently though. Both the club and the town have undergone a significant transformation in the last 20 years or so and it's no longer synonymous with being a place OAPs retire to. This is partly due to an influx/overspill from Brighton and I suspect that the neighbours' rise to becoming an established Prem team has resulted in players who might have been squad members if BHA were still at L1/L2 level now preferring a first-team place in the National League.

As Dorking's experience has shown, they will probably need to strengthen their squad if they reach the NL.

Wycombe have lasted by far the longest of the teams who weren't league clubs before automatic promotion relegation in 1987.
Most last a few seasons and disappear again

Wycombe escaped being relegated back to non league in 2013/14 by the skin if their teeth. They finished in 22nd on 50 points and pipped Bristol Rovers by just 3 goals difference as it went to the last day. The kind of luck we never seem to get.
Gareth assumed cult status at that point.

Joan Luque is registered with Worthing FC - don't know if he has played recently though.
He's been on loan to AFC Totton in the Southern League Premier Division South since the end of January and currently in their first team. Totton are involved in their play-offs too (v. Bracknell Town on Wednesday) so I imagine he will be staying with them.

That fixture really highlights the relative geographical spreads of the NLN and NLS, when you consider that Brackley lies between Banbury and Milton keynes, but is in the North division
I think Needham Market from Ipswich way could likely go into the Northern division!

Joan Luque is registered with Worthing FC - don't know if he has played recently though. Both the club and the town have undergone a significant transformation in the last 20 years or so and it's no longer synonymous with being a place OAPs retire to. This is partly due to an influx/overspill from Brighton and I suspect that the neighbours' rise to becoming an established Prem team has resulted in players who might have been squad members if BHA were still at L1/L2 level now preferring a first-team place in the National League.
Interesting, Worthing FC is a great story. Will be on holiday in that area this summer, they can certainly support a NL side. I read a while ago that they benefit from supporters no longer able to get in at Brighton, which is good for the non-league game. The more supporters abandoning PL clubs, the better.

Interesting, Worthing FC is a great story. Will be on holiday in that area this summer, they can certainly support a NL side. I read a while ago that they benefit from supporters no longer able to get in at Brighton, which is good for the non-league game. The more supporters abandoning PL clubs, the better.
And nearly all of their games will be 3pm Saturday, not some weird and wonderful times.

Arbroath were relegated to Scottish League One with a goal difference of -54, the next worse GD was -8. They were however outdone by Edinburgh City who were relegated from Division One to Division Two with a GD of -58. 🙂

If either side had season ticket holders, you would hope they were given counselling and a full refund.

I agree with your sentiments there, but aren't they a bunch of glory hunting plastics.? They should really be going to Whitehawk. Lovely place.

Interesting tussle at the foot of the Championship with even Blackburn not safe from the drop if results go against them. It will be a tight finish to see who else joins Rotherham and Huddersfield in joining us next season.

Purely due to distance, Plymouth can stay up for me.

Birmingham feel like they've been on the cusp of relegation for a few years now, so might as well put them out of their misery.
Birmingham's relegation would also be very funny given the managerial nonsense their board has engineered this season.

It would also create a 3-way shootout next season between American investors at Brum, Hollywood Wrexham and, um, us?