Update From Liam | Vital Football

Update From Liam

Lincolnshire live has to be the worst website in the world loading on a mobile device. I’ve given up on it.

An interesting article-it shows how relatively small the gate income is relative to other sources of income. The split Liam gave for the current financial model is 33% match day revenue,33% Commercial and sponsorship and 33% to be provided by the owners/investors. Obviously a big loss can be expected this year-my take on this based on the figures provided is that it will be in the region of £m 2.5.

It is clear that ,in the absence of cost reductions,then either match day revenue or commercial income would need to double to close the gap so to speak. More realistically it would have to be a combination of all 3. It does show though that a packed SB is not enough.

Presumably player sales and cups runs will fall within there somewhere, too, perhaps reducing the investor %?

“We’re under no illusions, establishing ourselves this season is our aim. If we achieve that, it should be seen as success.

Imo this is where Liam S is not quite aligned with the cowleys.

“We’re under no illusions, establishing ourselves this season is our aim. If we achieve that, it should be seen as success.

Imo this is where Liam S is not quite aligned with the cowleys.
Not necessarily. DC clearly knows that we don't have the finances to go straight through L1 (common sense tells you that anyway), which is why there's been so much budget talk during the off-season from him, although some of that will also be down to tempering expectations and getting fans to understand what we're going into.

He's always maintained that as long as there's a plan to progress each season that sits ok with him. DC said himself that you need to become established before having a crack at it. No point giving it a go in the first season and getting it horribly wrong, undoing all the good of previous seasons in the process.

I am reminded of what happened in the first season back (our last promotion). Received wisdom was that we were not ready for another promotion. Nevertheless, that didn’t stop cowley getting us to the playoffs. And having got us there he was hell bent on winning them.

And then look what has happened with tranmere.
Burton did L2 to championship in two seasons 2014-2016 - did they have the finances to go straight through... or momentum and decent management

I don’t really subscribe to the finances = league position theory. Teams with more money may well be more wasteful, and/or be signing players that will not get close to the first 11.

I am reminded of what happened in the first season back (our last promotion). Received wisdom was that we were not ready for another promotion. Nevertheless, that didn’t stop cowley getting us to the playoffs. And having got us there he was hell bent on winning them.

And then look what has happened with tranmere.
Burton did L2 to championship in two seasons 2014-2016 - did they have the finances to go straight through... or momentum and decent management

I don’t really subscribe to the finances = league position theory. Teams with more money may well be more wasteful, and/or be signing players that will not get close to the first 11.
Domestically, from PL to NL, bar the odd anomaly, are there or thereabouts based on budget so I don't know why you don't subscribe to that idea. It's not an exact science, but your bigger budgets are generally better placed in the league.

DC said himself that the squad wasn't strong enough for promotion, hence taking the Checkatrade seriously to a) win something and b) raise funds for the following season (hence Akinde and Andrade signings, I suspect, which righted a couple of wrongs from the previous season).

Just because you might not be quite good enough, it doesn't mean you don't try. And when you get there, that you don't try and win them. That would be defeatist. DC isn't moulded that way.

Domestically, from PL to NL, bar the odd anomaly, are there or thereabouts based on budget so I don't know why you don't subscribe to that idea. It's not an exact science, but your bigger budgets are generally better placed in the league.

DC said himself that the squad wasn't strong enough for promotion, hence taking the Checkatrade seriously to a) win something and b) raise funds for the following season (hence Akinde and Andrade signings, I suspect, which righted a couple of wrongs from the previous season).

Just because you might not be quite good enough, it doesn't mean you don't try. And when you get there, that you don't try and win them. That would be defeatist. DC isn't moulded that way.

Fortunately the things we excel at don't actually cost money. Will to win, hard work, teamwork, never say die spirit and excellence at set pieces.

So what's a reasonable estimate on gate money for the league season?
23 games, average 9000.
Maybe £15 average ticket, less VAT, say £12.50.
Somewhere in the order of £2.5 million.

So Liam would be indicating around that figure from all commercial activity.
And then same again from investors (which could also include any transfer profits and bonus cup runs/tv money or maybe any of that extra football income would all be assigned to a higher budget for Danny?).

This must be our ‘best’ budget in living memory I would imagine. Does sometimes sound like we’re on the bones of our a*** sometimes the way it’s referred to though