Unpopular Imps Opinions | Vital Football

Unpopular Imps Opinions

Rob the Imp

Vital Football Hero
What are your unpopular opinions to do with anything Imps or Imps-related?

I'll start us off with three.

1) I thought James Caton was hugely overrated.

2) I didn't think Jason Shackell was that great.

3) I'm not massively keen on our current yellow third shirt (even though it literally has my name on it).

Well I've said we'll never sell either Poole or Bramall for big money and I suspect that's not popular around here.

Other than that, everything else I post. 🤣

Shouldn't this thread actually be in 100% Imps as it is to do with football and our club?

Anyway this will be unpopular with some and not with others.

I don't want to see us in a new stadium. What we could afford to build would be nothing more than ordinary. I accept that it will likely bring in more revenue but I want to stay at Sincil Bank because it's our home and despite it's faults it's a pretty decent stadium for a club our size and can be expanded if we need it.

The other thing I will never do is accept it has a sponsors name. Call it what you like and take the money but I suspect to me and the vast majority of fans it will never be anything other than Sincil Bank.

Shouldn't this thread actually be in 100% Imps as it is to do with football and our club?

Anyway this will be unpopular with some and not with others.

I don't want to see us in a new stadium. What we could afford to build would be nothing more than ordinary. I accept that it will likely bring in more revenue but I want to stay at Sincil Bank because it's our home and despite it's faults it's a pretty decent stadium for a club our size and can be expanded if we need it.

The other thing I will never do is accept it has a sponsors name. Call it what you like and take the money but I suspect to me and the vast majority of fans it will never be anything other than Sincil Bank.

Not unpopular with me! I'm happy at SB and unconvinced by the case on any level for a move.

In any case, I think we all know it's not going to happen in the next decade, anyway.

What looks more in doubt now might seem to be the SW expansion. Not enough money raised and costs going up?

I'll beat BB to it.

Beck was awful, total charlatan. I saw Beck's Imps live 4 times, lost 3, 2 at home on a diabolical pitch made so at Beck's behest, once at Chester with brainless football and a deserved thumping.

The 4th? At Maine Road, a great night but my personal credit/debit column of Beck's era remained firmly in the red. Oh happy day when he was sacked.

EDIT - he wasn't particularly successful either.

Last edited:
I don't especially like loan 'keepers. I'd rather see a permanent signing (Long?) who can build an understanding with our defence over a number of seasons.

I'll beat BB to it.

Beck was awful, total charlatan. I saw Beck's Imps live 4 times, lost 3, 2 at home on a diabolical pitch made so at Beck's behest, once at Chester with brainless football and a deserved thumping.

The 4th? At Maine Road, a great night but my personal credit/debit column of Beck's era remained firmly in the red. Oh happy day when he was sacked.

Built a team that got us promoted though...

I'll beat BB to it.

I had a season ticket from 1996 until 2001 also went away a lot then. Since then I have gone if in Lincoln. I now live 250 miles away and have a very busy job and go back 3/4 times a year so be be honest when I go back the imps are not my priority it’s family. My last home game was 8 years ago but I have been to many away games since then.
Beck wasn’t a particularly likeable person but he was a character as where the players Phil Stant Steve Brown Bimmo. Much new colourful then the current lot and because of that I look back with fondness.

I only ever saw the Cowley teams away however I would say this was the best over all experience in terms off football passion and excitement

Yep, the only promotion I saw for about 30 years was Beck's team. I must admit I enjoyed his time here, it seemed full.of characters!

yes I fully agree it’s all rather bland now. You don’t see them in the Cheltenham arms anymore

Appleton is clearly a good coach. He improves players.

However, I am not convinced he is a good manager.

In L1 you need to be both.

I agree I don’t get the love in with him.

I don’t know the chap this is nothing against him as a person

but I really don’t understand the fuss - by all accounts Jen George is recruitment and he is the coach but I am yet to be convinced he is a manager team selection in game tactics and inflexibility are not league one standard.

I think really he is a coach to a premiership club and I think that is where he will naturally gravitate to with time.

That for Imps fans the loudness of the voice is in inverse proportion to their football intelligence.