Undr the Cosh - Matt Rhead | Page 2 | Vital Football

Undr the Cosh - Matt Rhead

Really good video. Fascinating to hear the inner workings of NCDC. As said Rheady comes across really well. Some great Interesting stories without having to resort to swearing.

I think Parkin would have been an excellent signing for us at the time, and could potentially have been the difference between play-offs and automatic promotion.

Recently read Jon Parkin's autobiography. Apparently we tried to sign him twice, and he also trained with us pre-season when Simmo was Manager. A player who has his critics but I would have loved to have seen him at Sincil Bank following his Macclesfield spell. He unfortunately couldn't balance the demand of being a professional sportsman at a higher level with his love of pies and booze, and became a journeyman!

Wasn't KA on gardening leave at the time? From what I remember the prospect of signing Parkin was a carrot being dangled by Trew and co's hopeless takeover attempt...

I definitely recall KA being pressed about the rumours/prospect of signing Parkin and he replied along the lines of "we put our best offer in, but it isn't going any further as we don't have the money" He was definitely at the helm at that point in time. I recall the Echo at the time reporting that bid was rejected out of hand.

I have no doubt that Trew did dangle 'that' carrot in his ill fated take over attempt, but I can't remember it myself.

Wasn't KA on gardening leave at the time? From what I remember the prospect of signing Parkin was a carrot being dangled by Trew and co's hopeless takeover attempt...

I think KA was still in charge but yep, a pr stunt is how i remember it. We may as well have put in a bid for Alan Shearer!

Recently read Jon Parkin's autobiography. Apparently we tried to sign him twice, and he also trained with us pre-season when Simmo was Manager. A player who has his critics but I would have loved to have seen him at Sincil Bank following his Macclesfield spell. He unfortunately couldn't balance the demand of being a professional sportsman at a higher level with his love of pies and booze, and became a journeyman!
Yeah, he trained here at the beginning of pre-season but went to FGR(?).

I even seem to remember a figure of £150K was bandied about.

From memory, weren’t we trying to flog Gareth McCauley to Crewe (?) at the same time with the intention of using that money to fund a bid for Parkin. Big G didn’t want to go though thereby rendering the plan doomed from the start.

From memory, weren’t we trying to flog Gareth McCauley to Crewe (?) at the same time with the intention of using that money to fund a bid for Parkin. Big G didn’t want to go though thereby rendering the plan doomed from the start.

Plus Championship Hull wanted him. In my opinion he was never going to come here.

Most people in football knew that Billericay and Tamplin were total nut cases and bad news and DC, Rheady and his agent thought the deal offered by them was a great deal and too good to turn down. None of them must have a brain cell between them to even think it would have a happy ending. It makes you wonder about the intelligence and common sense of a lot of people involved in football.

Was always surprised he went to Billericay, Was always definately going to be a tears at teatime moment in the end,

Most people in football knew that Billericay and Tamplin were total nut cases and bad news and DC, Rheady and his agent thought the deal offered by them was a great deal and too good to turn down. None of them must have a brain cell between them to even think it would have a happy ending. It makes you wonder about the intelligence and common sense of a lot of people involved in football.

if he got paid a signing on fee, 3 months wages and a contract cancellation fee - not that daft!!

if he got paid a signing on fee, 3 months wages and a contract cancellation fee - not that daft!!

Yes and played a handful of games in 6 months, 35 years old and tarnished his reputation and can’t get another club. Very daft, borderline professional suicide and stupidity of the highest order.