UK Floods | Page 2 | Vital Football

UK Floods

Just to add a little humour to the subject.....

I was driving between Southampton and Salisbury this lunchtime. I came to a village called Wellow. It had one of those signs stating it was twinned with some place in France.

Well, about hundred yards before that sign, someone had erected a homemade sign which said "Wellow, twinned with Atlantis".

Must admit, it made me smile......

mike_field - 6/2/2014 14:24

Anyway back on topic - I do like the suggestions for Dawlish that they should simply build a new railway in land where it would be safe.

Would do a lot for the humans and homes that wouldn't it, their MP woman was actually quite impressive (in argument you filthy buggers!). Clearm concise, sensible, weighed every option and showed why that suggestion was rollocks in probably a three minute interview.

why build it inland when you could build a big defence that could be put up in the winter? Building the railway inland would wreck the character of a seaside town. Plus this railway has been there for hundreds of years! ... plus, where inland would it be built? ever been to Dawlish mike?

sorry mate, for some reason I only see half of your post, and when quoted it all shown :35:

600m to Syria this year ... how can that be justified when theres people suffering here! ahhhh it makes me mad!!

These floods just seem to be symptomatic of the general crappiness of the UK. If it's outside the M25 the powers-that-be don't really give a fuck, every disaster turns into a crisis. Like when there's an inch of snow the whole infrastructure grinds to a halt. I haven't heard of any problems in the Netherlands, most of that area is below sea-level and they don't have flooding issues every time there's a bit of heavy rain.

Not that I remember Barn to be honest, but does look a lovely place from what I've seen and no probs lol

Some of my customers are in the middle of this. The Environment Agency has completely failed to serve people and have preferred to spend their resources on supporting wildlife that didn't need their support in the first place. This environment has been managed by man for 2000 years, yet it has taken a group of university graduates working for the Environment Agency 20 years to f*cking it up. They have consistently ignored farmers and drainage boards warnings and this is where we are at. It just goes to show that computer modelling is no replacement for experience.

and after a few years of getting hammered by floods etc... I bet my left bollock that nothing gets done next year, and another town is hit by water and more families lose their homes , businesses and lives.

This country is a disgrace.

mike_field - 7/2/2014 08:57

Not that I remember Barn to be honest, but does look a lovely place from what I've seen and no probs lol

really nice place... worth a trip down mike.

Barney2004 - 7/2/2014 09:12

You trying to tempt me into drowning myself :17:

James06 - 7/2/2014 10:08

I blame all these wankers that have block paved their driveways

Don't forget wind farms. We didn't have these problems before wind farms.

mike_field - 7/2/2014 10:17

Barney2004 - 7/2/2014 09:12

You trying to tempt me into drowning myself :17:

damn, you figured it out :17: :10:

Trekker - 7/2/2014 10:18

Wind farms are a disgrace and the cause of more evil than all the religions and the atheists put together.

James06 - 7/2/2014 11:37

Trekker - 7/2/2014 10:18

Wind farms are a disgrace and the cause of more evil than all the religions and the atheists put together.

:1: