Turning Point | Vital Football

Turning Point

D

Departed

So.....a critical summer for the club.....is this the moment that we switch into overdrive and make our move to the elite level. We aren't the only ones that have suffered setbacks.

Can we take all this disruption and turn it into something really positive?

Has Mourinho taught Levy his lesson in management skills?

Have we witnessed the Epiphany?

It very well could be the beginning of the Spurs Dynasty.

As in many many many other businesses perhaps the pandemic has triggered really positive changes at the club.

In thinking, in approach, in identifying shortcomings and addressing them.

This really is an opportunity to launch a new era.

I appreciate fans don't like the concept of starting a new multi-year project, but that is how we need to think of this one.

Levy needs to restructure more than just the 1st team manager and staff. The whole thing needs to reflect a leadership team for a half billion company. He needs to strip himself of football operations.

On the player side, all I now want to see is very simple. It's just getting back into investing in young players, hopefully homegrown. Get rid of the deadwood, for ability or cultural reasons, and let the new 1st team manager go to work.

We will start this new project as a mid-table team looking down. Hopefully that can change pretty quickly.

I appreciate fans don't like the concept of starting a new multi-year project, but that is how we need to think of this one.

Levy needs to restructure more than just the 1st team manager and staff. The whole thing needs to reflect a leadership team for a half billion company. He needs to strip himself of football operations.

On the player side, all I now want to see is very simple. It's just getting back into investing in young players, hopefully homegrown. Get rid of the deadwood, for ability or cultural reasons, and let the new 1st team manager go to work.

We will start this new project as a mid-table team looking down. Hopefully that can change pretty quickly.

It's the only way forward. Those thinking differently are not analysing the situation for what it is.

Young hungry players with a manager who likes to play attacking aggressive football. A manager with some grapefruits to drop big names when they are not performing.

Simple hey?

This isn't a complicated situation.

I thought we were copying the Ajax model. Develop the kids in the academy & focus on integrating youth into the 1st team. What happened to that then?
Good question there steve, I have two answer's....
1) Hiring Moaninio
2) Us! the demand from the fans, maybe I could use the word patients lol!

Will probably get "all the wasted years" thrown back at me lol!

Good question there steve, I have two answer's....
1) Hiring Moaninio
2) Us! the demand from the fans, maybe I could use the word patients lol!

Will probably get "all the wasted years" thrown back at me lol!
It would seem there are general failings throughout the club, all the way from youth development right up to Danny Boy at the very top. 80s nailed it by stating we need restructuring before we can rebuild.

What happens if Levy brings in someone to manage the non-football operations and keeps the football side himself? Worse still if he tries to manage football operations on top of the naming rights, the stadium events, the NFL and the sponsor contracts. AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH !!!!!

That's what I hate about being a football fan......you can't take your business elsewhere. Saying that, I have started to share it with the Helenic League. That's not a betrayal in my mind :LOL:

there is also the backdrop of this...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-new-homes-1000-stadium-b933339.html

Think one day he'll leave and say "there used to be a property development company over there"

Using the club/stadium as an excuse to acquire land to redevelop and make £££ is at the heart of Tavistock/ENIC business with Spurs from what I understand. Perhaps all the negative press he's getting could harm that, and he may in fact choose to focus on the property side and bring in someone to handle football to maintain the good community PR?

It's the only way forward. Those thinking differently are not analysing the situation for what it is.

Young hungry players with a manager who likes to play attacking aggressive football. A manager with some grapefruits to drop big names when they are not performing.

Simple hey?

This isn't a complicated situation.
I'm all for this approach.

Even with the stadium back in full swing it will be a long time before we can remotely compete with the top teams for the best talent.

But we should be able to hoover up the young, emerging talent. And there's a lot more talent out there than there are top clubs to go to.

I'm all for this approach.

Even with the stadium back in full swing it will be a long time before we can remotely compete with the top teams for the best talent.

But we should be able to hoover up the young, emerging talent. And there's a lot more talent out there than there are top clubs to go to.

Just take the England squad. A couple of tournaments ago it was quite hard to name 23 English international players. Now Southgate will be leaving 10-15 really good players at home when he names his 26 man squad. We are perhaps not there yet with centre halves but in most positions we have players emerging.

I think the work that has been done at grassroots a decade ago is now yielding fruit in the homegrown area. I think there will be more Fodens and Belinghams appearing and we need to make sure they are on our books.

On a personal note , I can’t wait wait for a new beginning.
Ive been a supporter for long enough to worry about instant results .
Or any results at all for that matter .,

As long as it’s a positive change , that gets the team away from the crap we are playing, using tactics that are anti football .

Exactly the way I feel. Give me a positive trend with a good underpinning and I'll follow you anywhere.

I thought we were copying the Ajax model. Develop the kids in the academy & focus on integrating youth into the 1st team. What happened to that then?

That in itself is a goal, it by it's very nature can only ever be just one part of a complete break away strategy.

We have wasted nearly two years on Jose, now we have to kickstart the club once again.

That in itself is a goal, it by it's very nature can only ever be just one part of a complete break away strategy.

We have wasted nearly two years on Jose, now we have to kickstart the club once again.

I am glad he has gone but that's unfair. Covid would have torpedoed any manager's ambitions at Spurs over the same time period.

Life has nothing to do with it. Covid naffed the club. No one is as highly leveraged as Spurs.

It's still a part of life; we have to be circumspect, but also positive and must as look beyond the debt narrative - the bulk of the debt is long term mortgages, it's absolutely nothing we can't deal with and invest in players, if of course 'life' here returns to a recognizable reality - which slowly bit by bit, it will.

Financial shocks in the short term are highly destructive, long term it may well allow us to join the elite faster, it will all come down to how the huge football review shakes out the nonsense from the hard painful facts of it's finances and what football is prepared to do about it.

I think after all that we may well find ourselves on the right side of the outcome and end up one of footballers winners.

It's still a part of life; we have to be circumspect, but also positive and must as look beyond the debt narrative - the bulk of the debt is long term mortgages, it's absolutely nothing we can't deal with and invest in players, if of course 'life' here returns to a recognizable reality - which slowly bit by bit, it will.

Financial shocks in the short term are highly destructive, long term it may well allow us to join the elite faster, it will all come down to how the huge football review shakes out the nonsense from the hard painful facts of it's finances and what football is prepared to do about it.

I think after all that we may well find ourselves on the right side of the outcome and end up one of footballers winners.

It all depends on the bankers' reaction now.

Over the years Spurs fans, due to the lack of success, have become increasingly demanding, whereby building success from within has been an extremely difficult task. Even going back to the early seventies promising young players like Keith Weller, John Pratt and Jimmy Pearce really couldn't crack it at Spurs, because after the success of the sixties, the expectations of the fans was far too high for those players to succeed. I well remember those lads being given a torrid time whenever they made a mistake. On one occasion I recall, Pratt came across to take a corner at the Paxton Road end, and said to the crowd 'lets see if I can fuck this up'. That about reflected his confidence level.
In more recent times locally developed youngsters like Townsend, Mason, Bentaleb and Carrol have all fallen victim of the ever increasing expectations due to lack of success. They may well not have proved to be good enough, but got limited opportunities to prove otherwise.
The one plus coming out of the Mourinho era will probably be a moderation of expectations. Fans want the old Spurs footballing culture back. I think that the average fan accepted long ago that we are not going to be serial winners, and now probably recognise that for the forseeable future we are not going to attract top players, nor are we going to be winning anything.
Thus more than ever I feel that fans are ready to accept that the best route forward for the Club will be to develop a progressive young squad, giving plenty of opportunity from within, playing football in the entertaining Spurs tradition.
Whether over a five year period as much can be achieved as was the case with the 'Poch five year project' is doubtful, but potentially it could be an enjoyable ride. '

I think many really underestimate how much better prepared Spurs were, to handle something like the Pandemic crisis, than most other TopClubs were.

There's no mystery to the financial arrangements, they're agreed to with terms by all parties, and as you say, nothing is an unmanageable debt, when considered against the avg expected revenues in more "normal" times. Nothing is coming due unexpectedly, or mysteriously.

Im curious if they'll pull the big trigger staring them in the face. That'd be really telling.