Trust Evans to find players | Vital Football

Trust Evans to find players

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
I have watched a lot of his interviews he’s confident we will improve in all areas however he was confident Max would stay.

the 5 loans are crucial here more than any other season. Not only do we need 5 good ones but we need a decent deal on their wages. I appreciate every league one club, or most will have thei full 5 but we really need the, to be starting 11 players as well.

this might be the time to find a mark Saunders type player who can play in about 7 positions as the squad will be small

Evans likes to build his ego and image around his own collection of journeymen and loanees (see the exits of nearly all the pre-Evans Gills) , but as a long-term fan I'd like some consistency, and development of players and loyalty (Fuller/Max) ; Hanlon and RCC suffered and Byrne had to convince when should have been firsts on teamsheet.

The risk of this short-termism and self-ego is that he will jump ship soon with excuses of budget constraints and we're left with no sound core of a team and no players loyal to Gills, and the only way being downwards

I've no doubt he can gather a mid-table team with the revolving door policy but that's not what I think a club like Gills should be; I dont want to turn up each year not knowing any of the players

Cheap little dig at Evans there, which I think isn’t particularly accurate. Let’s look at the last game before Evans:

8789801B-19F0-470D-A36F-7B0F1940184B.jpeg

Holy and Eaves went as expected, not Evans’ fault. Garmston, Oldaker, Reilly, Lacey all left, no crying shame there.

This season Evans made starters out Fuller, Tucker, Ogilvie, Ehmer, Byrne (until serious injury) and Hanlan. That’s over half of last season’s starting line-up bar Holy, Eaves and the deadwood. The remaining two absentees are List and RCC, both of whom featured off the bench but weren’t favoured.

Skip to this season: Fuller and Byrne now have doubts against them injuries and/or age. The rest all offered new contracts. Ehmer goes which is probably unavoidable. Hanlan didn’t excel last season so his starting spot is under threat if Evans does his job and gets in someone better.

All understandable to me, other than perhaps giving RCC more minutes to prove himself. Fuller and Byrne are two unknowns - Fuller was told the same last season and is a runner for player of the year, while Byrne has been invited to training - would that include a trial to show his condition?

Last edited:
I agree with Trev more than Bronco there.

From the outside it looks to me like SE gave most of the previous squad the opportunity to impress him and stay (maybe except Brad Garmston).

And further to that he helped make 2 of the previous squad into first names on the team sheet in Tucker and Ogilvie.

The two Toms apart, I don’t think many of us thought that those that left should have been in our starting 11. In fact a lot of fans thought that Fuller should not have been first choice at the start of last season due to his age.

RCC previously had only one Charlton appearance, plus loans in non league and has not exactly been injury free (41 appearances over 2 seasons) with us before jumping ship, so I do not think he could be counted as "loyal to Gills".

I also seem to remember a lot of posters moaning about not rating Byrne under Edinburgh (they certainly would not have said that he should have been first on the team sheet). The fact that we do not hear that anymore must be testament to Lovell and Evans. If he can prove his fitness I think he will definitely be offered a contract.

Interesting conversation. We could be about to find out just how good managers in the lower leagues are. We (EFL clubs) are entering a new phase in player recruitment where the available player pool is larger than usual. There will undoubtedly be some good bargains on the shelf and it will be interesting to see managers at work doing their best to find and attract wheat rather than chaff. Of course, a manager has to work to a budget, but the next few weeks (and months) might also shine a light that distinguishes some of the managerial wheat from the chaff.