Transfer Window - Summer 2022 | Page 240 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2022

How is the additional revenue from the stadium alone going to be enough to bridge the gap between us and the teams above us?

Isn't the biggest source of commercial income these days linked to the success of the club on the field and to a lesser extent the club's reputation? So Liverpool, for example, were able to secure big sponsorship deals in their 'wildeness years' before Klopp, based largely on their reputation. Ditto Arsenal, currently, to a lesser extent.

It seems a chicken and egg situation. We need serious investment to compete with the big players but we need success to generate that investment.

Or do you think the stadium alone will be enough?

Could you hazard a guess, approximately, how much additional income a year, from all sources, the new stadium will generate over the old?

I'm guessing....and that's all it is. We can sign two more top players per season than before. Maybe 100 mil worth ?

How is the additional revenue from the stadium alone going to be enough to bridge the gap between us and the teams above us?

Isn't the biggest source of commercial income these days linked to the success of the club on the field and to a lesser extent the club's reputation? So Liverpool, for example, were able to secure big sponsorship deals in their 'wildeness years' before Klopp, based largely on their reputation. Ditto Arsenal, currently, to a lesser extent.

It seems a chicken and egg situation. We need serious investment to compete with the big players but we need success to generate that investment.

Or do you think the stadium alone will be enough?

Could you hazard a guess, approximately, how much additional income a year, from all sources, the new stadium will generate over the old?

The stadium will generate enough to invest in better players.

From memory from the new biz plan; the new stadium fully utilised will generate around £120 million in additional revenues (16 other events than PL football - the average spend per head at these events for tickets , beverages, and food is running at £100 - £140 per head and that;s mainly because of the high percentage of what some here call the prawn sandwich offerings!) ..

Net profit from this additional events if around 35-50% depending on the split of ticket money and other income with the promotors.

So it pretty much allows us to lift our projected annual transfer spend from around £50 mill once the new stadium got up and running to £100 mill..

Of course, the big effort must come with growing our commercial revenues and that means finding success in the CL (around another £50 mill a year if we can get to knock out stages), and of course finishing in the Top 4 on a consistent basis and winning a piece of silverware....

The stadium was always designed with a vision in mind, i.e. to break the chicken and egg cycle, it's part of the 'incremental strategy' that Levy set out 15 years ago.

If I see/feel another area that has to be addressed it's the diversity of our shareholder base and the corporate investment that can bring with it - PL clubs are now firmly in the sights of large corporate investment funds, because income keeps growing and it's an almost rock solid hedge against an economic downturn as history has shown us.

£100 mill spend a year won't change us overnight, but over a decade and with seriously hard / tough new FFPR being brought in as of this year and tightened over the next 5, it's going to give many rivals a massive headache:

But, it won't to us:

New financial regulations were announced by UEFA back in April (it's why clubs like Everton, Villa, Bournemouth and Leicester and even city crapped their pants)

They will take over from the original FFP (financial fair play) rules that were introduced in 2010.

What are UEFA's new financial regulations?
The amount that clubs are permitted to lose over a three-year period will double from €30m to €60m.
Under the new regulations, European clubs will be limited to spending 70% percent of their revenue on wages, transfers and agents' fees.
When will they start?
UEFA's new rules will come into effect in June but clubs will have three years to implement them.
It is expected that clubs will be allowed to spend 90% of their income in 2023/24 and 80% in 2024/25, before the rules come into full force in 2025/26.
What punishments will rule-breakers face?
"Breaches will result in pre-defined financial penalties and sporting measures," UEFA has said.
In addition to fines, likely punishments include points deductions in domestic leagues, demotion to lower-ranking competitions and a total exclusion from UEFA tournaments for severe rule-breakers.

What has been Agreed?

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin was quoted in a statement as saying: "UEFA's first financial regulations, introduced in 2010, served its primary purpose.
"They helped pull European football finances back from the brink and revolutionized how European football clubs are run.

"However, the evolution of the football industry, alongside the inevitable financial effects of the pandemic, has shown the need for wholesale reform and new financial sustainability regulations.

"These [new] regulations will help us protect the game and prepare it for any potential future shock, while encouraging rational investments and building a more sustainable future for the game."

UEFA's statement added: "While the acceptable deviation has increased from 30m euros over three years to 60m over three years, requirements to ensure the fair value of transactions, to improve the clubs' balance sheet, and to reduce debts have been significantly strengthened.

"The biggest innovation in the new regulations will be the introduction of a squad cost rule to bring better cost control in relation to player wages and transfer costs.

"The regulation limits spending on wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70% of club revenue."

What were the old FFP rules?
Under the current FFP rules which are being replaced, clubs can only spend €5m more than they earn during a three-year period.

But clubs are allowed to exceed this limit to a maximum of €30m if those losses are covered in full by a payment from the club's owners.

Significant allowances were made in recent years to offer clubs leniency because of financial losses incurred as a result of the COVID pandemic.

Interesting stat, of Kane’s 183 PL goals, 30 were headers (16%)

Richarlson has 48 PL goals but 11 are headers (23%)

Another way to break down a low block is to utilise the width and get better quality into the box. Kane hasn’t scored nearly as many headed goals in recent seasons and Son is pretty hopeless in the air. The introduction of Richarlson this season gives us another dimension in the box (with his aggression)

We’ve also had a taste of the crossing (CB to CB) in pre season (Lenglet to Romero) not to mention Perisic who is a fabulous crosser of a ball.

Headed goals and goals from crosses in general is certainly an area I’d like to see our stats increase in this season. It will certainly help to break teams down that sit deep.

Agreed, we have much to be hopeful about, but melding a new ethos and squad into a winning time, even for the best of the best can take time - we have no right to arrogantly believe we've arrived and can sweep all before us!

Yet we finished what was a surprising 4th for most people.

Do I think we will win the league this season? 5-10% chance. Which for me is all we need.

I do think we are gonna scare the shit out of everyone though.

Our problem is not that we can't beat the low block. It's the mentality that it appears that Conte has beaten out of the club, now he just needs to work on the fans.

It's about who fits the system Conte wants to play. Whoever comes in needs to be able to play in a 343 first and foremost. As it's factual that is the system he uses.

352 or 433 are secondary systems we might use.

Have a look at what he's done in the past. No doubt he was pretty inflexible last season, but it really feels like that was necessity (in his mind at least) more than by preference, as he's clearly stated top4 was his intention, at all costs. StevieB even said Conte apologized to him for "not playing him very much" and said the reason was he was laser-focused on that goal. Rodon received a similar explanation form the Mgr.

I can tell you 100%, since the day he arrived, he's been searching for a combination/soluttion to implement a more 3-5-2 at times, and I expect to see that again with more appropo players for his liking.

I think a lot will depend on our Champions League Group (the strength of it)

Lloris
Romero Dier (?)
(?) Hojbjerg (?) (?)
Kulusevski Kane Son

Barring injury, I really don’t see the above 7 players getting rested to much.

Once the season gets up and running we will probably see the likes of Lenglet, Bissouma and Perisic stake their claims for regular starting spots aswell.

I’m not so sure we will see as much rotation as some believe (especially in the PL) I think it will be far more subtle by virtue of the 5 sub rule.
Being able to bring someone off after 70min is just as important

I think a lot will depend on our Champions League Group (the strength of it)

Lloris
Romero Dier (?)
(?) Hojbjerg (?) (?)
Kulusevski Kane Son

Barring injury, I really don’t see the above 7 players getting rested to much.

Once the season gets up and running we will probably see the likes of Lenglet, Bissouma and Perisic stake their claims for regular starting spots aswell.

I’m not so sure we will see as much rotation as some believe (especially in the PL) I think it will be far more subtle by virtue of the 5 sub rule.
If we reach the knockout stages of the CL i doubt very much we'll see Harry & Son both play 2 matches a week. I'd bet my house on it. Same goes for the wing backs who will need freshening up due to the sheer amount of work they'll be required to do. There's no point in snapping these guys up to sit them on the bench gathering splinters. They'll be expected to fill in when called upon.

Agreed, we have much to be hopeful about, but melding a new ethos and squad into a winning time, even for the best of the best can take time - we have no right to arrogantly believe we've arrived and can sweep all before us!
I certainly haven't read anyone saying we can sweep all before us, but I do believe that we can achieve a points tally around the mid eighties.
I also have my doubts that the top two can sustain the level of performance they showed last season, teams are strengthening up and down the table so

Interesting stat, of Kane’s 183 PL goals, 30 were headers (16%)

Richarlson has 48 PL goals but 11 are headers (23%)

Another way to break down a low block is to utilise the width and get better quality into the box. Kane hasn’t scored nearly as many headed goals in recent seasons and Son is pretty hopeless in the air. The introduction of Richarlson this season gives us another dimension in the box (with his aggression)

We’ve also had a taste of the crossing (CB to CB) in pre season (Lenglet to Romero) not to mention Perisic who is a fabulous crosser of a ball.

Headed goals and goals from crosses in general is certainly an area I’d like to see our stats increase in this season. It will certainly help to break teams down that sit deep.
A more direct approach if you will.

Looking at the list below we seem to be covered for homegrown players, even if we lose both Joe & Tang. How would we fare in Europe though?

Forster
Doherty
Skipp
Spence
Sess
Davies
Winks
Kane