Transfer Window- now we can concentrate on building for next year | Vital Football

Transfer Window- now we can concentrate on building for next year

StrangelyBrown

Vital Squad Member
With the play-offs over, we can now concentrate on the transfer window and building our squad, enhancing the quality and looking ahead to next season.

The fat Scotsman has already started and picked up Aaron Chapman (Accrington goalkeeper) and Rhys Bennett (Mansfield utility player)- two really good signings (and for no transfer fee either).

I know DC will have a plan of who he wants and likes to wait to get the deal he wants but things can move fast in this window and the loss tonight will allow some real focus on getting the team built for next year.

With the play-offs over, we can now concentrate on the transfer window and building our squad, enhancing the quality and looking ahead to next season.

The fat Scotsman has already started and picked up Aaron Chapman (Accrington goalkeeper) and Rhys Bennett (Mansfield utility player)- two really good signings (and for no transfer fee either).

I know DC will have a plan of who he wants and likes to wait to get the deal he wants but things can move fast in this window and the loss tonight will allow some real focus on getting the team built for next year.
No doubt he'll have paid over the odds for them too :unsure:

I am confident that Danny and Nicky have already made some moves. They will have learned such a lot this season and will be well prepared to go again come August.

The ship is in fantastic hands

No doubt he'll have paid over the odds for them too :unsure:

Didn't pay a penny in transfer or agent fees as they were out of contract and so can offer higher wages (which is why they will no doubt be attracted to the offer).

My laboured point was that we need to get in and sniff out some of these opportunities before we are left with the bottom of the barrel

Get Rowe back
Get vickers fit
Get alsop if in budget
Sign a couple of midfielders to give Anderson and Whitehouse a break
We need a green type of player and a poacher in addition
If hawkridge becomes available should we resign?

Silver lining Bostwick is cheaper after tonight

Couldnt give a stuff about evans!
Danny will know his targets and wait to sign them later on in the window when wages are more value than they are now!

We'll have ideas of who we want. I think most interesting will be style of play, and if we stick or twist with the 4-3-2-1 thing. It's good percentage football at times but you need the ball to bounce for you, and it doesn't unfortunately get the best out of any of our forwards apart from Rhead. Green out wide has done a job and works his socks off but it's not entirely his game. There's probably a 20 goal striker in there, and he wasn't far off this year without being at this best.

I think the Cowleys did consider Green down the middle on his own but it never quite came off. Tried it at Rotherham away for example, and we found it much harder to get up the pitch at times. He is probably one of our better paid players, but we don't fancy the 4-4-2 now (tough in midfield) and the 4-3-2-1 seems to limit our goal scoring chances a bit and makes us even more direct.

We need a bit more firepower, and probably to work out our best team. I think we did last season but not this season. We'll need to add 3/4 and that is if we don't lose any, but how we do it and into what blueprint is tough!

Get Rowe back
Get vickers fit
Get alsop if in budget
Sign a couple of midfielders to give Anderson and Whitehouse a break
We need a green type of player and a poacher in addition
If hawkridge becomes available should we resign?

Silver lining Bostwick is cheaper after tonight

Pretty much agree with all that, perhaps save for Alsop but only because I rate Vickers highly and think he might be a bit of an expensive luxury as a back-up man.

We’ve had a terrific season and all the credit goes to the warriors we’ve had in the 2017-8 squad. They will always be remembered fondly. Now is the time to splash the cash on some proper attacking quality. We saw with our own eyes tonight what a difference that can make in League 2.

All trust in our fantastic managers to push us on again next season. It could well be another fun ride.

A squad of 22 including just a couple of high quality loans will do us. Must have two players for every position - lack of cover for Sam was a real problem during the run in. The quality striker obviously; a good plan B for Rheady or preferably find a way to get the likes of Pett and Frecklington on the ball screened by Bostwick/Woodyard. Full backs are going to be key for me as they will need high energy, pace, positional sense and technique because in some games it is they that are going to provide the width. 4-3-3 was a useful stop gap but could only ever take us so far. Four quality signings and a new formation then watch us fly.

I would prefer 23/4 as the squad size. But we certainly need more than the current squad and I'd settle for 22 at a push.

I’m interested to see if the Cowleys have a preferred tactic in mind, or will they sign players and try and work a tactic round them? Regardless a goal scorer is priority 1.

They really only had 3 better players then ours

Stockley who is a rhead style player with pace
The lazy but skilful player who ran the show (annoying fashion beard)
The centre back who got a dent from. Rhead

Other then that we are close

In some respects are there any big budget teams left next year?

I don’t think so apart from stags who have probably spanked it up the wall this year.

If we can sign Eardley we will be there or there abouts.

Didn't pay a penny in transfer or agent fees as they were out of contract and so can offer higher wages (which is why they will no doubt be attracted to the offer).

My laboured point was that we need to get in and sniff out some of these opportunities before we are left with the bottom of the barrel

He'll be paying top dollar in salaries, no doubt, which is what dropped Rotherham in the crap.

I am confident that Danny and Nicky have already made some moves. They will have learned such a lot this season and will be well prepared to go again come August.

The ship is in fantastic hands

This. I would be completely unsurprised with some announcements in the next fortnight.

The rules are HERE
The way I read that we get 12.5% of gate receipts from the four semi final play off matches (minus expenses). So estimate 12.5% of about 45k fans plus corporates - maybe 50k including catering, hospitality etc.. Not massively lucrative but added to the FPS probably enough for a players wages.