Transfer talk - summer 2024 | Page 16 | Vital Football

Transfer talk - summer 2024

Wilder on the team not looking like a 'Sheffield United team'

"It doesn't. One of the things I've said all along, what do I want it to look like, what does the supporters want it to look like, what does the club want it to look like, and it doesn't look like that. It's a team I think that's just been chucked together a little bit. I know there were difficult decisions that needed to be made at the start of the season and reflection and hindsight is massive I suppose, lessons we need to learn as a football club."

Going on what’s happened so far and what I’m hearing I’m not convinced we have learnt but 🤞 we have
In the world of hiring best quality staff, people will always be tempted by who offers the best salary. That is where we have an issue. We lose out on our top targets and waste money on lower quality options. It ends up costing us more money in the long run. I would rather get 5 good permanent signings than 10 average to poor. I think Wilder is quickly trying move players on as that is the only way he can get what he wants but other teams are making moves now.

Last edited:
Watford, Sunderland and Hull City have registered their interest in Ollie Norwood, who will leave Sheffield United at the end of his contract this summer. MLS clubs have also expressed an interest in the 33 year old

In the world of hiring best quality staff, people will always be tempted by who offers the best salary. That is where we have an issue. We lose out in our top targets and waste money on lower quality options. It ends up costing us more money in the long run. I would rather get 5 good permanent signings than 10 average to poor. I think Wilder is quickly trying move players on as that is the only way he can get what he wants but other teams are making moves now.
Yep quality over quantity as a rule but the squad as was,was so poor he’s got to do a full rebuild from the bottom up so we’re goin to have to compromise somewhere I’m guessing and wouldn’t surprise me if it was all over 🫤
He’s done it once before all be it in the pub league which by nature was easier than the championship so we’ll just have to wait and see if he can come up with the goods, one things for sure he’ll be earning what we’re paying him this summer cos he’s sure got his work cut out

Yep quality over quantity as a rule but the squad as was,was so poor he’s got to do a full rebuild from the bottom up so we’re goin to have to compromise somewhere I’m guessing and wouldn’t surprise me if it was all over 🫤
He’s done it once before all be it in the pub league which by nature was easier than the championship so we’ll just have to wait and see if he can come up with the goods, one things for sure he’ll be earning what we’re paying him this summer cos he’s sure got his work cut out
To be honest I am starting to lose interest already. I think that if we somehow by pure fluke got £50 million for Anel and Souza we would still have no more money for transfers.
Even if we go up to the maximum on loans we are still going to need a number of permanent signings.
If things are that bad I would rather put some of the better young lads in than sign the likes of Traore, Slimane, Garbage, Trusty and Souza.
For a club that is perpetually skint, we don't half waste millions of pounds.

To be honest I am starting to lose interest already. I think that if we somehow by pure fluke got £50 million for Anel and Souza we would still have no more money for transfers.
Even if we go up to the maximum on loans we are still going to need a number of permanent signings.
If things are that bad I would rather put some of the better young lads in than sign the likes of Traore, Slimane, Garbage, Trusty and Souza.
For a club that is perpetually skint, we don't half waste millions of pounds.
Well who ever he brings in is going to be tall and athletic at least

Well who ever he brings in is going to be tall and athletic at least
Worrall would be a great start because we need someone who can command the box at set pieces and someone who can lead but will the Prince sanction circa £4 million, without selling first ?..
I would imagine Wilder wants a full preseason with the bulk of his squad, minus the odd couple of loans towards the end of the window. Its a very tall order.

So finally remembered somat arblaster goin to villa for 20m but coming back on loan along with archer
I could certainly live with that.

But it's difficult not to have cooled somewhat on Archer coming back given what he's produced this season - even if we know he'd be great in the Championship.

I suspect he'd rather go back to Boro. They'll have the potential to do a deal based on adjustments around the Morgan Rogers deal.

Villa will have the potential to use outstanding payments due for Archer to negotiate a more favourable deal for Arblaster.

The Spanish accountant has said Chris has wingers on his hit list 😱 no names obviously he’s learnt his lesson on that front

Wilder on the team not looking like a 'Sheffield United team'

"It doesn't. One of the things I've said all along, what do I want it to look like, what does the supporters want it to look like, what does the club want it to look like, and it doesn't look like that. It's a team I think that's just been chucked together a little bit. I know there were difficult decisions that needed to be made at the start of the season and reflection and hindsight is massive I suppose, lessons we need to learn as a football club."

Going on what’s happened so far and what I’m hearing I’m not convinced we have learnt but 🤞 we have
A team that's just been chucked together is exactly what it is.

We signed a random bunch of unproven foreigners (and Trusty) without any kind of consideration whether they were the correct character types to fit in. Exactly the kind of considerations a manager would make. But we effectively didn't have a manager.

We basically had people who didn't understand basic fundamentals running recruitment. It had UW written all over it. Benie Traore for the PL? Slimane into what was still very much a Chris Wilder team? A player with no strength, pace or aggression to be the heir to JOC at LCB? Worst of all, Souza - WTF was the plan? Stinking attitude, joke of a player, requiring the reconfiguraton of a well functioning midfield, as we entered the world's hardest league. Joined up thinking at its finest. I think we all assumed that their ability level was good enough to compensate for any doubts about suitability..... my God, what a mistake to assume something like that.

The caveat to that is Luton and Everton did not sell their best 2 players first.
True wasn’t making any kind of point but looks to be true so people can see what we spent
Disgraceful when you think we got one decent player out of a 55m spend

True wasn’t making any kind of point but looks to be true so people can see what we spent
Disgraceful when you think we got one decent player out of a 55m spend
It is but I think any of the main posters on here could have spent £55 million better. The management team and recruitment team made a right pigs ear of it.
The timing of the Ndiaye and Berge sales did not help, as it was the 11th hour and panic stations. We now see where that got us. Early positive signings are needed in this window.