Transfer Deadline Day - where for art thou Gareth? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day - where for art thou Gareth?

Can't say I know too much about this kid but looks as though we were interested at some point. One for the future perhaps?

Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala has told a Portuguese newspaper that Manchester City made an approach for his services prior to Monday's transfer deadline.

The France international spent much of the summer window being linked with big-money moves to some of Europe's top clubs.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona and City were all credited with holding an interest in the 22-year-old centre-half.

Porto, though, are understandably reluctant to discuss a deal, having been the ones to spot Mangala's potential during his time at Standard Liege.

They intend to be the ones to benefit from his considerable talent and made it clear to City that no negotiations would be held when the Premier League outfit came calling.

Mangala is happy to leave his fate in the hands of his current employers and is looking forward to what he hopes will be another productive campaign in Portugal.

"Manchester City were interested a few days ago, but nothing was ever close," he told A Bola.

"I'm a Porto player and I feel good here. I have no problem with this issue.

"I am fine here and focused on what we can do this season."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/2/8906168/mangala-city-made-approach

Liverpool and Arsenal have both had promising starts, but i can't see them maintaining their current form. Ozil is a splendid signing, but one swallow, etc. Arsenal really needed another striker and cover at defence.

Parsimony is thy Name Arsene.

Liverpool did some good business and will be improved on last season, but are still overly reliant on Sturridge (injured) and Suarez (canute of the highest order).

The rags are ageing and in transition. I think they're going to hit the ground with a massive bump this season

Spurs still lack backbone and much will depend on how well their new signings adapt.

The title is Chelsea's to lose at the moment especially now that they have Eto'o doing his swan-song bit, although if we can get our shit together we should improve and give them a good run for their money.