Transfer Deadline Day Thread | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
Well, it's that time of the year again!

Reuters-Lincoln-Cathedral-Sincil-Bank-1024x636.jpg

So what is the expectation today? Erhahon getting done (hopefully...) and that's it or another player too?

So what is the expectation today? Erhahon getting done (hopefully...) and that's it or another player too?

Good question. So midfield we need at least one in, still think we are short of bodies in general to give us a bit of extra quality but it’s whether finances dictate or not. With the already high loan numbers, getting permanents that can make a difference won’t be that easy either.

This Dylan Duffy lad from Ireland has been liking more things on instagram. Spotted yesterday he had liked the Plange signing from Palace.

We must be the slowest team in League One in terms of forward momentum, the players themselves look slow and they move the ball slowly (usually sideways or ideally backwards to Rushworth). That is the main problem, we need players in midfield and up front with the drive needed to spark that missing forward momentum. Plange certainly has it if that showreel is anything to go by, and it sounds as if Erhahon has it too. That is a great start, but in my opinion we need two more midfielders and another striker before the day is out.

We must be the slowest team in League One in terms of forward momentum, the players themselves look slow and they move the ball slowly (usually sideways or ideally backwards to Rushworth). That is the main problem, we need players in midfield and up front with the drive needed to spark that missing forward momentum. Plange certainly has it if that showreel is anything to go by, and it sounds as if Erhahon has it too. That is a great start, but in my opinion we need two more midfielders and another striker before the day is out.

I tend to agree, probably more realistically +1 midfielder. If we hadn't signed Plange but had signed one experienced striker who can hold the ball up/challenge if we go direct and aren't progressing the ball well I would have said that would have been it for me, but now was possibly hoping for another striker. I am not sure that will happen though...

This Dylan Duffy lad from Ireland has been liking more things on instagram. Spotted yesterday he had liked the Plange signing from Palace.
That one looks pretty nailed on, doesn't it? I wonder whether he was the mystery player spotted at the ground on Saturday, or whether that was Plange.

Ethan Erhahon plus an experienced midfield partner to accompany him. Also we can never have enough strikers. This may be a lot to ask for but we have struggled in these departments for far too long. If we can give Mark Kennedy the players to turn a few draws into wins I will be satisfied.

I'm greedy I would like Erhahon, Duffy and 1 more midfielder with a bit of experience. Experience needed to replace Hopper in the squad.

I think it will end up being a Erhahon (Fingers Crossed if he is our main target) and Duffy. Signing Duffy might mean Vernam can join the cods as keeps getting mentioned.

Just seen this from a BBC reporter on Twitter.

(1) Andrew Moon on Twitter: "Reeco Hackett could be allowed to depart #Pompey today. Possible destinations include Cambridge United and Lincoln City #CamUTD #ImpsAsOne" / Twitter

Last edited:
Although in terms of ball movement, according to the graphs I posted yesterday, about a third of the division are slower than us in that respect and roughly the same amount have less passes per move.

I have no problem with bringing in young players with the idea of improving them and selling on at a profit later on. As long as these players improve the team and are good enough to play in our starting line up. I think Plange and Erhahon if we get that one over the line will do just that. But I feel we have the wrong mix of all young players in midfield and up front. We are crying out for one old head experienced player in midfield to hold it all together. But that is easier said than done they don't grow on trees. But I think that is what we need this window.

I'm greedy I would like Erhahon, Duffy and 1 more midfielder with a bit of experience. Experience needed to replace Hopper in the squad.

I think it will end up being a Erhahon (Fingers Crossed if he is our main target) and Duffy. Signing Duffy might mean Vernam can join the cods as keeps getting mentioned.

Just seen this from a BBC reporter on Twitter.

(1) Andrew Moon on Twitter: "Reeco Hackett could be allowed to depart #Pompey today. Possible destinations include Cambridge United and Lincoln City #CamUTD #ImpsAsOne" / Twitter

He seems to be described as a 'winger'. Not sure he fits the bill, unless Vernam is going. He looked alright in that cup game against Hereford, but not a priority position especially after the Shodipo signing.

Although in terms of ball movement, according to the graphs I posted yesterday, about a third of the division are slower than us in that respect and roughly the same amount have less passes per move.

I mean we can't both be the slowest moving it forward and also have a game plan that solely involves smashing it long to Ben House's head for him to lose it?

Good question. So midfield we need at least one in, still think we are short of bodies in general to give us a bit of extra quality but it’s whether finances dictate or not. With the already high loan numbers, getting permanents that can make a difference won’t be that easy either.

From what I've heard this week and previously, the players were are bringing in are not "spur of the moment" but part of much longer term planning. Clearly we'd have our eye on a number of options and have elected to progress the two (hopefully) who are coming in already. In other words, unless we have had to go in over budget for one of the two incoming then we already have the decision made regarding anyone else and Saturday wouldn't have changed that decision.

If we have a plan to bring a 3rd in, it's already in the pipeline but I can't see us bringing an 8th loanee in when you can only have 5 in the matchday squad of 18 (Virtue obviously will not be part of that for the next 10 weeks). Who would loan us a player knowing there's a 25% chance they won't even get in the squad? Which, I am guessing, means we must have some committment to Palace to play Plange for a certain number of minutes or games until season end. You don't get a quality PL young forward on loan to warm the bench or not even be in the squad. Rushworth is guarranteed too so there are only 3 loanee slots left for the squad of 18 each game it seems.

So it's either permanent signing or none at all today for me