Transfer Deadline Day Thread! | Page 3 | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day Thread!

Has this transfer window been one of the craziest in living memory for Lincoln? If someone had told me at the start of the month that by the end of it Walker, Akinde, Andrade, Toffolo and O'Connor would be gone, Pett, Freck and Coker would still be here, while kids from Arsenal, West Ham, Tottenham and Fulham, plus Hopper and Elbouzedi would be signed, I would have questioned their sanity. My head's still spinning from all this activity.

And of course, there could yet be more movement.

Some bloke at Hull called Jarrod Bowen has apparently demanded £60k a week (i.e. a quarter of a million per month or over £3 million a year) to move out of the Championship to West Ham.

Sorry but for a 23-year old with no international football behind him, no previous PL experience, I find this completely outrageous, disgusting and a very sad indictment of everything wrong at the top levels of the game.

No amount of 'it's a short career' bull crap would make me change my mind - this is pure greed on an industrial scale; Bowen and his leeching agent should be ashamed of themselves. The way I see it, the lad's been given a fantastic chance to prove he is a footballer who can perform at the elite level. Does he want to actually do that, or would he prefer to just collect money he frankly couldn't spend at the end of every month? A very, very sad indictment of the lunacy of the football industry.

Well done West Ham for telling him to do one. Just hope another idiot PL club doesn't come in panting and sweating and giving him everything this spoilt brat wants.

If you have no evidence what was the evidence you saw. Is that evidence evidence or is that evidence not relevant to the evidence you saw. And if you did see it why cant you use that as evidence unless the evidence you saw is not really evidence.
Well I have evidence that the alleged evidence you refer to is not the relevant evidence but in actual fact the f*** knows what I’m on about evidence. Imps 4ever

No amount of 'it's a short career' bull crap would make me change my mind - this is pure greed on an industrial scale; Bowen and his leeching agent should be ashamed of themselves. The way I see it, the lad's been given a fantastic chance to prove he is a footballer who can perform at the elite level. Does he want to actually do that, or would he prefer to just collect money he frankly couldn't spend at the end of every month? A very, very sad indictment of the lunacy of the football industry.
Remember the Father Ted episode in which the priests each tried to give up something for lent? Ted saw only a cigarette regardless of what he looked at; Jack could only see a bottle of whisky; well, it is exactly the same with financially ambitious footballers, who see only a giant cash till sitting there.

I am not altogether sure whose fault that is, though. The players? The agents? The television companies? The clubs themselves for pandering to all of those wishes?

In Bowen's case, he wants to go to Newcastle. The problem is, Newcastle don't want him. But I'm sure £60k/week would change his mind!

Remember the Father Ted episode in which the priests each tried to give up something for lent? Ted saw only a cigarette regardless of what he looked at; Jack could only see a bottle of whisky; well, it is exactly the same with financially ambitious footballers, who see only a giant cash till sitting there.

I am not altogether sure whose fault that is, though. The players? The agents? The television companies? The clubs themselves for pandering to all of those wishes?
That's a tough one Scotimp... think I'd plump for the clubs if I had to apportion blame to one party. If they put on a united front and basically said no more payments to agents, let's have a wage cap etc., this sorry stuff would be far less likely to happen.

All of the above. Greed and selfishness of society in general. Not many left with the right morals or minerals.

Some bloke at Hull called Jarrod Bowen has apparently demanded £60k a week (i.e. a quarter of a million per month or over £3 million a year) to move out of the Championship to West Ham.

Sorry but for a 23-year old with no international football behind him, no previous PL experience, I find this completely outrageous, disgusting and a very sad indictment of everything wrong at the top levels of the game.

Well done West Ham for telling him to do one. Just hope another idiot PL club doesn't come in panting and sweating and giving him everything this spoilt brat wants.

Why should he be ashamed of himself? Its his prerogative to ask for what he wants and in this instance he hasn’t got it. He can either readjust his demands or stay at Hull (where I think he is out of contract in the summer and will more than likely get his £60k a week then). It’s no different to you or I asking for a pay rise, it’s just the sums are bigger. You are worth what someone will pay you...it just so happens footballers have a skill set in an industry which is currently awash with cash.

Last edited:
Why should he be ashamed of himself? Its his prerogative to ask for what he wants and in this instance he hasn’t got it. He can either readjust his demands or stay at Hull (where I think he is out of contract in the summer and will more than likely get his £60k a week move in the summer). It’s no different to you or I asking for a pay rise, it’s just the sums are bigger. You are worth what someone will pay you...it just so happens footballers have a skill set in an industry which is currently awash with cash.

All fair points... I guess the thing that really irks me is how Bowen and his agent have ludicrously over-valued themselves, at a point when he has a wonderful opportunity to make a really good (and lucrative) career in the PL. For that, I think they should at the very least be embarrassed at where their financial positioning has taken them. And for the record, if I was asking for a pay rise, I wouldn't be asking for 4, 5, 6, ? times what I'm earning now, or demand that I was paid more than other players established at the level I was aspiring to.

In relative terms at least, I wouldn't really begrudge him his £60k a week if he had a season or two behind him of consistently good performances at the higher level. But surely you would agree that if English football has come to a point of taking a punt on someone from the Second Division for £3 million a year, we really are in very messed-up times.

If
Why should he be ashamed of himself? Its his prerogative to ask for what he wants and in this instance he hasn’t got it. He can either readjust his demands or stay at Hull (where I think he is out of contract in the summer and will more than likely get his £60k a week move in the summer). It’s no different to you or I asking for a pay rise, it’s just the sums are bigger. You are worth what someone will pay you...it just so happens footballers have a skill set in an industry which is currently awash with cash.

If his name was a little more exotic, the notion of 60k a week wouldn't nudge anyone's giveatossometer. Our top league is full of players who have come in from abroad and have done very little but get huge money. This lad has proven himself over a period of time.

If

If his name was a little more exotic, the notion of 60k a week wouldn't nudge anyone's giveatossometer. Our top league is full of players who have come in from abroad and have done very little but get huge money. This lad has proven himself over a period of time.
It would nudge mine. £3 million a year for unproven, uncapped talent is crazy. For mere morals such as myself, that would take a century a more to earn.