Tram vs Stoke | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tram vs Stoke

Just home …what a shocking first half and the second was only just a bit better . But there is something seriously wrong at our club . By 89 minutes 1000s of fans had just walked off not caring if we win , draw or lose . We went on 90 minutes unable to stand the low quality on offer any longer
i saw the game on tv and it was very evident that something was wrong with the atmosphere and the fans you saw looked bored and uninterested
it reminded me of the kind of murmurings you get when there is a delay because of floodlight issues rather than an active match did it feel like that in the ground?

Its the turgid football the team is playing.
None of us believe in DS or the board and must savvy fans arent buying into this seasons style or lack of it and its plain to see were nowhere near a promotion looking squad are we

Cantwell looked up for it when he came on but that result masks the fact we aren't great, Smith football is boring and slow, players aren't up to standard.

Why did Gibson come back in? Tompkinson was good against Burnley and Hanley was the idiot yet it's Tom whonis dropped.

Dowell adds nothing and I'm sure i heard cheers when his number went up to be subbed.

Gunn's distribution is poor

McCallum looked way off but to be fair he has played two 90 minute ganes after two training session after months out.

We look better with byram on right.

Hayden is so slow.

Last edited:
How many times has DS said this season that the performance wasn't great and didn't go to plan?

Tonight he saud that the game plan didn't come off but happy we got three points.

DS:

'I thought the performance, and the game, was stodgy and a slog at times. There were a lot of mistakes, a lot of errors, there was an edginess in the stadium. That's because of recent results that we've had but I've always said winning changes the mood and we have to follow up from this win today on Wednesday against QPR. In terms of the performance, we did what we needed to do, we had to be resilient. I would like to see us move the ball quicker than we did today, we looked a little bit leggy in the first half despite six changes to give us some freshness. I asked the subs to make a difference before the game and I think they did that as well.'

On Ramsey goals:

'He'll be the first to tell you that that's probably the thing that's been missing from him. He's a very unselfish player, he loves creating for others and getting assists. So, it was nice for him today and for Teemu to get the assists for him. He's a great lad, he works extremely hard but getting in them areas to score goals, it's a step in the right direction today for him and I've no doubt he'll go on and score more now.'

On QPR:

'It's been a really tough week travelling to Sheffield United and then Burnley. The players have been in every day this week so they'll get a rest tomorrow and from there, we'll prepare ready for QPR as we do every game.'

Oh dear an awful game that flattered us as 3-1 winners, our football is poor & for the most part uninteresting, Smiths' brand is terrible, I have written the first half off from my memory banks.

I watched yesterday's game online.... awful to watch until we got our 2nd goal then seemed to have a little bit more of an edge to us. I am still not at all bothered about replacing DS though. What is the point? I've said it time and time again in other places online, but we should stop going around in the same cycles of sacking managers and expecting different results - isn't that the definition of insanity? To repeat something over and over that doesn't work, has never worked... and yet expect it to work?

Nothing is going to change. Even if we swapped boring football for exciting football, we'll still be in the championship in 20 years' time whether we had 10 promotions in that time or none at all. If we want to truly progress, then we need a change of ownership and a change of those higher up the chain than DS (director level - SW etc). Anything less we are merely changing the plaster and expecting the infection to be healed.

DS in for me. Delia Out.

Great post Nathan.

However I have to disagree about Smith.
I think the Americans need to take over completely and that means
removing the Smiffs, the Webbers, Smith and Shakey.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong I'm not saying I like our brand of football under DS and I'm not suggesting we keep him once the owners have been changed. But it has to be in that order. Owners. Then him. If we replace him before the owners it simply buys the owners another couple years of time which helps no one. So until we are in a position to get rid of the infection (owners) I am DS in. Only in keeping him (keeping the unrest and not paper over the cracks) do we stand any chance in the problem being resolved!

Totally agree Nathan.
I have said for ages that there is one common factor of failure
and that is the selfish lack of ambition owners.
As long as they are owners a change of manager is as you say a temporary reprieve from their eventual departure and buys them yet another year or 2 while we suffer from avoiding modern day football realisation.