Training Ground Plans Approved | Vital Football

Training Ground Plans Approved

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Blackpool Football Club's plan to build an elite training ground and academy has passed its first hurdle after being approved by Wyre Council.
Planning officers judged the application would not harm green belt land between Blackpool and Poulton.
The proposals, which also need approval from Blackpool Council, include 10 outdoor pitches, an indoor pitch and a two-storey training building.
Blackpool FC said the facilities would be "an enhancement to the area".
The application, for land between Steeton Road and Garstang Road West, are also due to go before Blackpool Council.
The training facilities straddle the planning jurisdictions of both Wyre and Blackpool councils.
The plan also includes a ground staff building, ancillary and storage buildings along with associated infrastructure, such as floodlights, on-site parking for 120 cars, footpaths, fencing and new access off Steeton Road.
It would replace the current Squires Gate Lane training ground which the Seasiders have used for more than 50 years, with owner Simon Sadler unveiling plans for a new academy in May 2022.

'Enhancement'​

Blackpool FC's chief executive Julian Winter told the meeting the club's training facilities were currently spread across six or seven sites so it was vital to create one single training ground.
He said: "I think the facilities we are planning are excellent and will be an enhancement to the area."
While the training ground will focus on first team and academy players, Mr Winter said there would be community events and open days held "so local people can get involved without losing the opportunity to a create top class sporting environment for the football club".
Following the unanimous decision, Mr Winter said: "We are pleased with the outcome but there is still a lot of work to be done."
There had been 21 objections, with concerns raised around the loss of open space and ecological sites, including the Dinmore Swamp, which is a biological heritage site.
But planners said use of the land for outdoor sport was permitted on green belt land and the buildings would be positioned close to the Grange Park end of the site, thus maintaining most of the open aspect.
The meeting heard the facility would take between 18 months and two years to build.
The application was granted subject to the signing of a section 106 agreement to secure financial contributions towards public right of way improvements.
1712252372063.png

Passed by Wyre but not Blackpool Council yet. Situated on my old school cross-country course. Several objections were lodged, most/all are pertaining to the area under Blackpool's jurisdiction. If I remember right some residents of Steeten Road, where the main entrance is to be, complained. My niece lived on this street so I know it reasonably well. It shouldn't be a problem.

Where there could be a problem is the objections regarding the dikes, there were water voles, newts and all sorts of other flora and fauna. As well as blackberry brambles, I've still got the scars on my legs from them rripping me to bloody shreds! The plus side surely will be that the area is seriously deprived so if they are offering community facilities it'll probably get rubber stamped.

I wont believe its happening until soades turn earth.
Unfortunately, IMO, until its built we wont be able to fulfill our potential as a club.

I wont believe its happening until soades turn earth.
Unfortunately, IMO, until its built we wont be able to fulfill our potential as a club.
Agreed. But tbf there's not a huge amount more they could have done to get it moving any quicker at this point - the plans went in a long time ago and the planning bods are taking their time to approve.

Not saying that means it's happening, but i'm also saying the club haven't necessarily done anything to indicate otherwise (yet).

We will have to be contented with the lovely computer generated pictures. Its the nearest we're going to get, after all everything Blackpool do takes forever and a day.