Tottingham Hotspurs v Aston Villa PREMIER LEAGUE Saturday 10th August 17.30 k.o. | Page 34 | Vital Football

Tottingham Hotspurs v Aston Villa PREMIER LEAGUE Saturday 10th August 17.30 k.o.

Ridiculous talking about the money we’ve spent. Assuming it’s about £145m, then add in the players we’ve already got and you’re perhaps looking at a £250m squad value at most. Spuds, Chelsea, citeh etc all have squads worth many multiples of this. “All that money spent and we didn’t have a shot” is pretty meaningless and doesn’t help.

We’ll survive or fail based on coaching ability this year. None of our coaching team (other than perhaps Cutler?) have coached in the prem. I believe they’re bright enough to learn from their mistakes. If that’s wrong, we’ve got the nucleus of an excellent promotion squad for next season

This is a feeling I don't like and don't want to get used to, getting up on a Sunday morning having lost.
I've had that winning feeling for 6 months!

That second half was like the bad old days, it was like watching Burnley desperately hanging on but without any goal, threat what so ever.

The only good thing to come out of it is now Dean has an excuse to put the new boys in

Well you better get used to it.

This is the realism of the premier league now and where we are .
We may gave the odd cup final win against the big boys. But ..
Citeh
Liverpool
United
Spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal .

That's 12 games you will wake up feeling like this.

Ridiculous talking about the money we’ve spent. Assuming it’s about £145m, then add in the players we’ve already got and you’re perhaps looking at a £250m squad value at most. Spuds, Chelsea, citeh etc all have squads worth many multiples of this. “All that money spent and we didn’t have a shot” is pretty meaningless and doesn’t help.

We’ll survive or fail based on coaching ability this year. None of our coaching team (other than perhaps Cutler?) have coached in the prem. I believe they’re bright enough to learn from their mistakes. If that’s wrong, we’ve got the nucleus of an excellent promotion squad for next season

The bloke who scored their equaliser cost nearly half our entire spend by himself. Erikssons valuation is similar. Harry Kane is valued at more. This is the level the top clubs are operating at.

I believe we will survive this season and if these guys click we can finish upperid table perhaps but right now I'd still just take survival. Then next summer bring in a few higher quality players, evolution rather than the revolution we needed this summer. We're going to be fine I think but games like yesterday will happen this year.

Yes don't like waking up having lost , whoever it may be against.

But make no mistake Spurs are a top top side , the pace they moved the ball about in the second half was so impressive and no wonder we tired trying to get it back. I am glad we aren't playing the likes of them every week.

Massive learning curve for the players , not just the new signings either.

Erikson changed the game when he came on. It was very similar to a game against Arsenal years ago when we were holding them until they brought Fabregas on. Spurs brought on a player who will probably leave them for around £150m. When we have £150m players on the bench, we will be able to go toe to toe with them.

Disappointing debut for Wesley. He only started getting going when he was taken off. I hope he gets up to PL speed quickly.

Well you better get used to it.

This is the realism of the premier league now and where we are .
We may gave the odd cup final win against the big boys. But ..
Citeh
Liverpool
United
Spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal .

That's 12 games you will wake up feeling like this.

Yep, sadly you're right, I just hoped after spending £131m we'd at least have a new team, not one containing Taylor Elmo and Hourihane , which is a nightmare feeling.
My joke backfired on me badly when I selected a Joke team on Thursday.

James Chester would have been brilliant yesterday second half was just his type of game, pinned in his own box for 45 mins .

Yep, sadly you're right, I just hoped after spending £131m we'd at least have a new team, not one containing Taylor Elmo and Hourihane , which is a nightmare feeling.
My joke backfired on me badly when I selected a Joke team on Thursday.

James Chester would have been brilliant yesterday second half was just his type of game, pinned in his own box for 45 mins .

Taylor proved to be a good selection though. He had his best game for us , and if that's what competition for places does then I am all for it. Freddie must be injured as he wasn't even on the bench , and I fully expect to see Douglas in after another week of training.

Just a shout out for Neil Taylor, if you'd have told me 10 months ago that we'd be playing Spurs first game of the following season and he'd be selected in front of a £15m left back that we'd bought, I'd have thought you were insane.....that's what decent coaching does...improves players. He was excellent yesterday. This squad will improve and develop as time goes on. We'll be fine.

Hate to agree with Onlyteam :grinning:.

If you want to talk about money now then you should have questioned it in the transfer window. This isn't I told you so but I was and remain hugely sceptical about who we bought and what we spent.
I didn't get carried away like I'm sorry to say many have done over players, most of us will have to admit, have never heard of.

But like Onlyteam my trust has to be in the coaching team, the philosophy established by the club and the plan now in place and that's why I'm kind of excited but scared and sceptical at the same time

If you expect too much too soon then its head wobble time. And yes that does include not getting out of our half against the top sides. Premier league 2019 reality . Get used to it.

I'm sure many see how many times the top sides pull a result round , a last minute winner or equaliser. Yesterday was a prime example . The top sides like spurs keep going and going and going and grind you down, tire you out and ultimately score.

I'm surprised so many are surprised by this.

Taylor proved to be a good selection though. He had his best game for us , and if that's what competition for places does then I am all for it. Freddie must be injured as he wasn't even on the bench , and I fully expect to see Douglas in after another week of training.

I don't disagree about Taylor it was a good game by his lowly standards but crosses were still coming in thick and fast and El Ghazi spent the whole game trying to cover him.
We've spent what £15m on a new left-back and the old one gets the nod, let's be honest we were all ridiculing McParland the other day for suggesting it.
He was being honest, targett hasn't looked good in preseason neither has Freddy defensively.
I'm very disappointed

Deano said there just wasnt space for Guilbert in the squad which I found surprising tbh after his pre-season. Must have concerns about defensive capabilities because he looks excellent going forward. Perhaps we've got to get used to a bit more squad rotation now we've got more depth....

We learnt some things yesterday, some positives, some negatives.

Our centre backs + keeper will not be a problem against anyone but, as good as SJM and SJG are, they need help in midfield.

We are not a team that likes to sit back and elmo/connor/wesley (also Jota when he came on) losing the ball too easily cost us. Could blame jack for their 2nd, but he’s the only one who can give us a foothold in games by playing out. He chose the wrong time to do it though so hopefully he’ll learn. Conor isn’t quite combative enough and not quite creative enough. Hopefully Douglas or Marvelous will be the answer there.

Not sure how much of that we can take into the Bournemouth game as it’s completely different opposition. Hopefully we can be more positive as i think we’ve got better footballers. It could be another lesson, but i’ll stick by the team and management either way.

I am not sure if Jack is good enough for this league. I hope I am wrong but he looked very ineffective yesterday as he does not have the time on the ball in this division. We definitely need some steel in midfield and hopefully the Brazilian chap or Marvellous can do that. I would probably play them both against the top teams and sacrifice Jack. Against the so-called weaker teams I would put the hurricane in and we will set up more attacking. I thought the defence did a good job and again I would include Guilbert against the weaker teams as more of an attacking threat. I would go with Jota and Trezegeut on the flanks and play Davis until
Wesley gets up to speed, if ever. I thought he was bloody awful yesterday.

just watched the rerun of the game.
thought we played well with all the new boys still learning the English way and to only be 7 mins away from a draw at a very good spurs is nothing to be ashamed of.
really positive about finishing away from the relegation zone .

I don't disagree about Taylor it was a good game by his lowly standards but crosses were still coming in thick and fast and El Ghazi spent the whole game trying to cover him.
I thought that was a deliberate tactic, and a successful one at that, with Taylor playing inside his normal position and El Ghazi and sometimes Grealish covering to nullify Sissoko.

I thought that was a deliberate tactic, and a successful one at that, with Taylor playing inside his normal position and El Ghazi and sometimes Grealish covering to nullify Sissoko.

It almost worked too. We let them have the ball put wide because they couldn't do anything with it from there. All of their goals came through the middle.