Tottenham v Wolves 2:00pm, Sunday 01 March, | Page 17 | Vital Football

Tottenham v Wolves 2:00pm, Sunday 01 March,

I did notice a while back that you weren't feeling the love for Gio as much as some of us. I think one of our conversations was after you wanted to cancel the loan and send him back.

You seem to be gradually warming to him though, but quite rightly suggest there was no world class performances from him yet.

For me, I'm gutted for the guy that he doesn't have the pace of Moura. Then we'd have a player on our hands. I think he'll be just fine though if Jose can get the steel in midfield to let him show his talents. He's doing a lot of water carrying at the moment.
LoCo and ND will never realised their potential until we have attacking players who can make runs for them to pass to...you only have to look at ND’s videos from last season to see that...he breaks up attacks, moves forward at pace, draws players in and then slips a teammate in to finish off...no one there for him or LoCo these days.

Dele had some good chances to score and did get an assist. His overhead if anything was hit too clean, if he had skewed it or hit it into the ground he may have scored . His header chance again probably tried to place it rather than maybe head it down on target.

Sadly it was our defence that let us down and we created plenty of chances against a good outfit. Personally I would have shut up shop at 2-1 and definitely at 2-2 but that would have pissed off some fans who want expansive football at any cost.
Moura was pushed in the back in the penalty area towards the end but the ref was having none of it. A bit like the yellow he should have given after 1 minute. A shot was blocked by a defenders arm in the box and he tried to say it hit his chest. Not a great ref.

Didn’t see the match at 2am Monday morning. Flying out but caught the result on the way to the airport.
it didn’t surprise me, which in its self is a poor state of affairs.

I’ve read nearly every post on here whilst waiting to board.

we play with a GK that would struggle to start in a 1st Div squad. Our defence is probably as bad as it’s been since I started supporting Spurs in 1978.
Our midfield is woeful, we have zero in attack and yet we hope to finish top 4?

Oh, but we have the ‘special one’ in charge! Welshy got it right. He has no interest in getting us to where the fans want us to be. He’s in a no lose situation, with zero incentive to deal with the mess we find ourselves in.
I think I’ve given our squad more credit than they deserved. I just don’t get it when a player or a group of players refuse to give a 100% for their manager, team, club and fans. Regardless of what they may think of Jose, just go and do your damn job, that we pay you ridiculous money to do....and still pay if you don’t.

I want Jose to work out, but was he on a hiding to nothing?

getting rid of Jose alone won’t fix our problems, but keeping him here may just make them worse.

Last edited:
LoCo and ND will never realised their potential until we have attacking players who can make runs for them to pass to...you only have to look at ND’s videos from last season to see that...he breaks up attacks, moves forward at pace, draws players in and then slips a teammate in to finish off...no one there for him or LoCo these days.

We do have players there to slip the ball too, but their names are Dele Alli and Lucas Moura. Wolves like the chavs last week are another team with better footballers than we have.

That's it for me.

I know what he's doing, and the game he's playing at, and I don't care for either one bit.

If you think a couple windows without signings set the club back, well god forbid this madness continues till the end of the season, let alone past it, cause it's gonna cost a generation to repair the damage.

Jose out.

That's it for me.

I know what he's doing, and the game he's playing at, and I don't care for either one bit.

If you think a couple windows without signings set the club back, well god forbid this madness continues till the end of the season, let alone past it, cause it's gonna cost a generation to repair the damage.

Jose out.

There’s no time to pussy foot about and to be kind to Jose. I’m with you Xvausch.

One more minute of his madness is one too much.

Jose can’t lose, but Spurs will need many many seasons to recover from the damage this careless clown with even less of an idea than Poch. (I actually did not believe there could be a professional manager with less managerial know how than Poch).

This combined with what appears to be bang average players throughout is a recipe for what we are now witnessing.....utter tripe.

Once again when we finally spend to invest, we’ve blown millions on inappropriate personnel.

Just when I thought my week had got off to a bad start with this loss, I was on a Boeing 767 about an hour ago, heading to PNG,
We were just about to take off, doing 160mph when the captain aborted take off. With the engines roaring in reverse thrust, flaps fully extended, brakes cooking and passengers screaming, we finally pulled up before spearing off the end of the runway.
My week is now ruined as I’ll miss the majority of my 22 business appointments, missed flight connection from Port Moresby to Lae, missed rental vehicle, missed hotel that has been booked and paid for.

Can it get any worse? Ah well, at least we didn’t crash... the plane I mean, not Spurs.
2-3 at home to Wolves is a plane wreck.

There’s no time to pussy foot about and to be kind to Jose. I’m with you Xvausch.

Jose can’t lose, but Spurs will need many many seasons to recover from the damage this careless clown with even less of an idea than Poch. (I actually did not believe there could be a professional manager with less managerial know how than Poch).

This combined with what appears to be bang average players throughout is a recipe for what we are now witnessing.....utter tripe.

Once again when we finally spend to invest, we’ve blown millions on inappropriate personnel.

Just when I thought my week had got off to a bad start with this loss, I was on a Boeing 767 about an hour ago, heading to PNG,
We were just about to take off, doing 160mph when the captain aborted take off. With the engines roaring in reverse thrust, flaps fully extended, brakes cooking and passengers screaming, we finally pulled up before spearing off the end of the runway.
My week is now ruined as I’ll miss the majority of my 22 business appointments, missed flight connection from Port Moresby to Lae, missed rental vehicle, missed hotel that has been booked and paid for.

Can it get any worse? Ah well, at least we didn’t crash... the plane I mean, not Spurs.
wow 10Hoddle that's dramatic. glad you're ok. that could have been on the news. it's messy and unsatisfactory when a business trip goes up in smoke, isn't it. and the plane metaphor for some of our play and results at the moment is there for all to see.

I did notice a while back that you weren't feeling the love for Gio as much as some of us. I think one of our conversations was after you wanted to cancel the loan and send him back.

You seem to be gradually warming to him though, but quite rightly suggest there was no world class performances from him yet.

For me, I'm gutted for the guy that he doesn't have the pace of Moura. Then we'd have a player on our hands. I think he'll be just fine though if Jose can get the steel in midfield to let him show his talents. He's doing a lot of water carrying at the moment.
If Eriksen, in his prime, was playing in this current team, he would look bang average.

Glad you are ok 10 that’s the main thing . Must have been horrendous . I’ve had it the other way when a light aircraft pulled onto the run way as we were about a hundred feet up and about to land . Those pilots are magnificent.
All told , you are ok and we lost a football match .but I know how you feel though mate .

Sorry to hear about your travel problems but glad you survived a big scare.

However, I’m puzzled about a contradiction in your thoughts...you wrote

we play with a GK that would struggle to start in a 1st Div squad. Our defence is probably as bad as it’s been since I started supporting Spurs in 1978.
Our midfield is woeful, we have zero in attack and yet we hope to finish top 4?

So why is it Jose’s fault?

Hod,

any accident or near accident you can walk away from is a good accident.

I am certain you've already put the fear to bed, and your week will recover and you're have a great excuse and strory to tell your business appointments (bet you end up doing more biz!

Glad you're ok, good luck.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51699588

Report by JJ. on the BBC Website .seems to me he has it pretty much on the ball .

Tottenham 2-3 Wolves: I'll save judgement on Jose Mourinho until summer - Jermaine Jenas

_95714201_jenasnew.jpg

By Jermaine Jenas

MOTD2 pundit

_97749156_motd2analaysisheader.jpg

It feels like everything is wrong at Tottenham at the moment, and when I say everything I include Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff in that.
Sunday's 3-2 defeat at home to Wolves was their third loss in a row as they twice surrendered a lead.
They are scoring goals but conceding lots too and have not been playing particularly well for some time.
So, what exactly is going wrong at Tottenham and which areas could be improved?
Spurs need a system and to stick with it
Watching Wolves on Sunday, for the best part of 50 minutes they were in third gear. They looked a bit lethargic but they always have that ability to go 'come on lads, wake up' and they just snap into gear.
Everybody is in the right positions and before you know it they are wide with the pace of Adama Traore or Matt Doherty and then they have the best striker in the league right now through the middle in Raul Jimenez.
When you have a system like that in place and the players are used to playing it, you are stronger when the bad times come because you can be more resolute and more rigid.
However, Tottenham are continuously playing in systems it looks like they don't understand. There is no identity as to what they are as a football club right now or what they want to be.
I cannot remember the last time Tottenham played well. They have been getting results but I cannot see a system being put in place. Are they a team that is going to go long? Are they a team that will pass between the lines? Are they a team that plays out from the back? Are they a team that bases their game on possession? Are they a team that bases their game on playing out wide? I just don't know what they are.
It is a big worry. Tottenham are the worst team of those chasing that top-four position - I don't see how they make the Champions League at this rate.
There is no doubt that not having Harry Kane and Son Heung-min will have an impact on your team. I am probably being very critical when you have lost your two best players but I am critical because it has been going on a long time now.
1583138473059.gif
Constant chopping and changing not helping
In the weirdest way possible, I would rather be losing games but seeing a performance that suggests it is going to come good.
At the minute, I have not got a clue what I am going to turn up and see - I probably couldn't name four players that I know for a fact are going to start in the team.
Jose is always chopping and changing. I know he has the injury situation at the top end of the pitch but he just can't - or won't - pick players and rely on them. The system he won't stick with.
How he is behaving now is a little bit how Mauricio Pochettino was behaving at the end of his tenure as Tottenham manager, where he was trying everything to get it right.
There are not many teams in the history of football that, if they change their two centre-halves as often as Tottenham do, are successful. Partnerships have to be made and Spurs do not have one right now.
Was Toby Alderweireld rested because of the baby situation on Sunday? That is not the manager's fault, but before that there had been a lot of changes - three at the back, Toby with Japhet Tanganga, Toby with Jan Vertonghen, Toby with Davinson Sanchez. On Sunday, Eric Dier came in out of nowhere and Dier is a player I continuously look at and feel he is not good enough to play for Tottenham right now, along with a couple of others.

Tottenham punished for 'mentality mistakes' - Mourinho Spurs have no pace, so utilise Ndombele
I look at Tanguy Ndombele and I am thinking £60m, I watched him at Lyon - a top midfield player when he is at it. He does seem to be sulking all the time, why that is I don't know. He doesn't seem to be happy, but whose job is it to put that right? The manager's. That is the point of managing - you have all these different personalities and you have to get the best out of each individual.
Jose needs to find a way to get Ndombele on to the pitch because the team just looks slow. Harry Winks isn't quick, Giovani lo Celso doesn't seem that quick. I wouldn't say Ben Davies is that quick, Dele Alli is not quick, Dier is slow. You go through that whole team and that dynamic element to a team, that athleticism you need in the Premier League, is not there.
Go through most top midfields right now, whether it is Liverpool or Manchester City, they all have pace to burn in major areas. Spurs have Lucas Moura and Steven Bergwijn and I saw Kyle Walker show Bergwijn a clean pair of heels the other day. He is not that quick, he is a strong runner but he is not rapid.
Ndombele would add that dynamism that you need in midfield.
1583138473095.gif
Ndombele has made six appearances for Tottenham in 2020, with half of those from the benchMake-or-break summer ahead?
I just hope that when Jose sat down with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy before Pochettino was sacked there was a conversation between them that went along the lines of 'if I am going to be here, I want to be here for a long period of time to build something and I need your backing to get the players in that I need and get the players out that I want out'.
For too long now, the lack of planning and their inactive nature in the market has cost Tottenham. This is a massive summer ahead for them. Massive. Hopefully, they are on the same wavelength in terms of what they need and what Jose wants.
In my eyes, Jose is not a manager who challenges for the top four. You get him in to win a title or the league. The club have to look at themselves and ask what is the point of bringing Jose in if they are not going to give him the artillery he needs to go and get the job done.
I would hope come the summer he is given everything that he needs. He obviously cannot go and buy everybody but the club needs to bend far more than it did for Pochettino - they should have given him what he deserved.
If that conversation happened and Jose doesn't get what he wants, I only see this ending in tears.

We played better than I expected, our set up and tactical approach was a big improvement and ultimately we did much better than I expected.

We could have won, we should have drawn but our play in transition was poor; it's the sort of stuff you sort out on the training ground. To that extent you can see exactly why Jose is repetitively saying he wants them all for a pre-season; we're stuck between three differing styles/tactics at the moment and we're not comfortable with any of them as of now.

I could go on about all the mistakes I saw, but I'm going to concentrate on the positive; the parts of the game that were different to our last two was our willingness to get onto the front foot and play further up the pitch, that was a welcome relief to see again; I was delighted to see how as I've said before the way to play with out target men is to get you attackers/midfielder to run their midfield/defenders and movement in numbers our channel work on the right at times was excellent and these good aspects of our game were what got us in front, however the poor/bad was when we dropped off again in the second half, Wolves played us on the counter in the first and bizarrely we couldn't seem to work out what to do in the second when they game out and pressed for long periods.

Despite Tanganga's give-away (which was more about getting his feet right than making a massive mistake) he was exceptional in my eyes and you can see exactly how impressive he will be for us.

So despite the loss - Jose will know exactly what he needs to work on, and that's our shape and positioning when we haven't got the ball - fix that (and it is relatively easy to fix), get our tactical approach right and we'll soon start looking like a top team again with or without targetmen.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51699588

Report by JJ. on the BBC Website .seems to me he has it pretty much on the ball .

Tottenham 2-3 Wolves: I'll save judgement on Jose Mourinho until summer - Jermaine Jenas

_95714201_jenasnew.jpg

By Jermaine Jenas

MOTD2 pundit

_97749156_motd2analaysisheader.jpg

It feels like everything is wrong at Tottenham at the moment, and when I say everything I include Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff in that.
Sunday's 3-2 defeat at home to Wolves was their third loss in a row as they twice surrendered a lead.
They are scoring goals but conceding lots too and have not been playing particularly well for some time.
So, what exactly is going wrong at Tottenham and which areas could be improved?
Spurs need a system and to stick with it
Watching Wolves on Sunday, for the best part of 50 minutes they were in third gear. They looked a bit lethargic but they always have that ability to go 'come on lads, wake up' and they just snap into gear.
Everybody is in the right positions and before you know it they are wide with the pace of Adama Traore or Matt Doherty and then they have the best striker in the league right now through the middle in Raul Jimenez.
When you have a system like that in place and the players are used to playing it, you are stronger when the bad times come because you can be more resolute and more rigid.
However, Tottenham are continuously playing in systems it looks like they don't understand. There is no identity as to what they are as a football club right now or what they want to be.
I cannot remember the last time Tottenham played well. They have been getting results but I cannot see a system being put in place. Are they a team that is going to go long? Are they a team that will pass between the lines? Are they a team that plays out from the back? Are they a team that bases their game on possession? Are they a team that bases their game on playing out wide? I just don't know what they are.
It is a big worry. Tottenham are the worst team of those chasing that top-four position - I don't see how they make the Champions League at this rate.
There is no doubt that not having Harry Kane and Son Heung-min will have an impact on your team. I am probably being very critical when you have lost your two best players but I am critical because it has been going on a long time now.
View attachment 37857
Constant chopping and changing not helping
In the weirdest way possible, I would rather be losing games but seeing a performance that suggests it is going to come good.
At the minute, I have not got a clue what I am going to turn up and see - I probably couldn't name four players that I know for a fact are going to start in the team.
Jose is always chopping and changing. I know he has the injury situation at the top end of the pitch but he just can't - or won't - pick players and rely on them. The system he won't stick with.
How he is behaving now is a little bit how Mauricio Pochettino was behaving at the end of his tenure as Tottenham manager, where he was trying everything to get it right.
There are not many teams in the history of football that, if they change their two centre-halves as often as Tottenham do, are successful. Partnerships have to be made and Spurs do not have one right now.
Was Toby Alderweireld rested because of the baby situation on Sunday? That is not the manager's fault, but before that there had been a lot of changes - three at the back, Toby with Japhet Tanganga, Toby with Jan Vertonghen, Toby with Davinson Sanchez. On Sunday, Eric Dier came in out of nowhere and Dier is a player I continuously look at and feel he is not good enough to play for Tottenham right now, along with a couple of others.

Tottenham punished for 'mentality mistakes' - Mourinho Spurs have no pace, so utilise Ndombele
I look at Tanguy Ndombele and I am thinking £60m, I watched him at Lyon - a top midfield player when he is at it. He does seem to be sulking all the time, why that is I don't know. He doesn't seem to be happy, but whose job is it to put that right? The manager's. That is the point of managing - you have all these different personalities and you have to get the best out of each individual.
Jose needs to find a way to get Ndombele on to the pitch because the team just looks slow. Harry Winks isn't quick, Giovani lo Celso doesn't seem that quick. I wouldn't say Ben Davies is that quick, Dele Alli is not quick, Dier is slow. You go through that whole team and that dynamic element to a team, that athleticism you need in the Premier League, is not there.
Go through most top midfields right now, whether it is Liverpool or Manchester City, they all have pace to burn in major areas. Spurs have Lucas Moura and Steven Bergwijn and I saw Kyle Walker show Bergwijn a clean pair of heels the other day. He is not that quick, he is a strong runner but he is not rapid.
Ndombele would add that dynamism that you need in midfield.
View attachment 37858
Ndombele has made six appearances for Tottenham in 2020, with half of those from the benchMake-or-break summer ahead?
I just hope that when Jose sat down with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy before Pochettino was sacked there was a conversation between them that went along the lines of 'if I am going to be here, I want to be here for a long period of time to build something and I need your backing to get the players in that I need and get the players out that I want out'.
For too long now, the lack of planning and their inactive nature in the market has cost Tottenham. This is a massive summer ahead for them. Massive. Hopefully, they are on the same wavelength in terms of what they need and what Jose wants.
In my eyes, Jose is not a manager who challenges for the top four. You get him in to win a title or the league. The club have to look at themselves and ask what is the point of bringing Jose in if they are not going to give him the artillery he needs to go and get the job done.
I would hope come the summer he is given everything that he needs. He obviously cannot go and buy everybody but the club needs to bend far more than it did for Pochettino - they should have given him what he deserved.
If that conversation happened and Jose doesn't get what he wants, I only see this ending in tears.
Jermaine is a better analyst than he ever was a player.

Its disappointing we capitulated and as has been said there were problems in transition. I did notice Tanganga put in a very heavy challenge that Traore almost succumbed to but regained his balance and carried on. Not many players could do that. In Traore, Jota and Jimenez Wolves have some excellent forwards and with us having no strikers I guess it's to our credit we scored twice and were in the game throughout.

Hugo, Kane, Son, Sissoko and Lamela I suggest would have perhaps provided a better outcome for us. They were unavoidable absences but Toby and Vert may have been more measured in defence, who knows ?

The full 90 is now up on the website. I will watch later and may have to change my ratings . I know its painful but I will be concentrating on a few individuals.

Its disappointing we capitulated and as has been said there were problems in transition. I did notice Tanganga put in a very heavy challenge that Traore almost succumbed to but regained his balance and carried on. Not many players could do that. In Traore, Jota and Jimenez Wolves have some excellent forwards and with us having no strikers I guess it's to our credit we scored twice and were in the game throughout.

Hugo, Kane, Son, Sissoko and Lamela I suggest would have perhaps provided a better outcome for us. They were unavoidable absences but Toby and Vert may have been more measured in defence, who knows ?
I think Jose is using different set-ups to see who he wants to keep for next season...in this game I guess it was can Sanchez and Tanganga function without Toby and is Dier a viable option at CB...I haven't seen the game but I guess he got part of the answer.

We played better than I expected, our set up and tactical approach was a big improvement and ultimately we did much better than I expected.

We could have won, we should have drawn but our play in transition was poor; it's the sort of stuff you sort out on the training ground. To that extent you can see exactly why Jose is repetitively saying he wants them all for a pre-season; we're stuck between three differing styles/tactics at the moment and we're not comfortable with any of them as of now.

I could go on about all the mistakes I saw, but I'm going to concentrate on the positive; the parts of the game that were different to our last two was our willingness to get onto the front foot and play further up the pitch, that was a welcome relief to see again; I was delighted to see how as I've said before the way to play with out target men is to get you attackers/midfielder to run their midfield/defenders and movement in numbers our channel work on the right at times was excellent and these good aspects of our game were what got us in front, however the poor/bad was when we dropped off again in the second half, Wolves played us on the counter in the first and bizarrely we couldn't seem to work out what to do in the second when they game out and pressed for long periods.

Despite Tanganga's give-away (which was more about getting his feet right than making a massive mistake) he was exceptional in my eyes and you can see exactly how impressive he will be for us.

So despite the loss - Jose will know exactly what he needs to work on, and that's our shape and positioning when we haven't got the ball - fix that (and it is relatively easy to fix), get our tactical approach right and we'll soon start looking like a top team again with or without targetmen.
Good to see a positive review EX...I haven't seen the game but the clips I thought showed a much more positive approach.