Tottenham v Wolves 2:00pm, Sunday 01 March, | Page 19 | Vital Football

Tottenham v Wolves 2:00pm, Sunday 01 March,

He appears to have the following on board.
Aurier, Toby, Vert, Tanganga, Davies, Winks, Skipp, Dier, Alli, Loco, Gedson, Sissoko, Moura, Kane, Son. Probably Sanchez but not sure. Sess possibly, Ndombele probably not, Foyth probably not. Not sure about Hugo or Gazza. Not sure about Bergwijn.

I am happy to be challenged and learn the reasons why.

When players no longer show an interest or enjoy what they do, then the manager is not inspiring, motivating and leading.
In essence, the players are not responding to his leadership......so yes, it appears he has lost the dressing room.

I'd agree with that....right up until the 2nd half of the Burnley game. We were on fire.

I'd agree with that....right up until the 2nd half of the Burnley game. We were on fire.

"On fire" is a bit of a stretch. We were better. Lo Celso is the only player I look at and think is playing with total confidence at the moment.

Last edited:
I think if Ndombele, Sess, Bergwinj and Gedson had been here a full season and were all fit we would definitely be a smoother team.

It seems all can play in numerous positions aswell.

Lo Celso is different because he is just a very talented player. He does have more gears to go through though.

I'm with Pollo build a team around this guy.

We haven't had a settled team all season. Its impossible to ask younger and inexperienced players to carry the injured, over the hill players.

Jose has used Skipp, Tang as well.

Jose really needs to help the players wean out these mistakes we are making. If we were more switched on I feel we would be at least 5-7 points better off.

This has been my biggest gripe in recent months, even more so than style of play.

When players no longer show an interest or enjoy what they do, then the manager is not inspiring, motivating and leading.
In essence, the players are not responding to his leadership......so yes, it appears he has lost the dressing room.
It’s a fair interpretation given some performances but if you saw LoCo and Moura in the second half against Burnley I would suggest that maybe he hasn’t lost them all... but I don’t know for sure.

At what point does the style of play directly influence mistakes? Or are the mistakes more about a big lack of confidence issue throughout the team? I completely agree with your post though RD.

The majority of the mistakes have come through either poor passing or poor positioning. So many questions come with those details... what is happening in training? Are the players totally jaded and lacking in confidence? Are the tactics right for a team in this state? Why have so many of our talented players gone from heroes to zeroes in the space of 1 year?

Man management, stragety, confidence, fatigue and experience will all be valid reasons. Ability to adjust to different circumstances is also key.

Jose is certainly part of the process.

Ex said a few weeks back the players behind the scenes are not happy with Jose.

This is key. If this is true then we are in trouble.

At what point does the style of play directly influence mistakes? Or are the mistakes more about a big lack of confidence issue throughout the team? I completely agree with your post though RD.

The majority of the mistakes have come through either poor passing or poor positioning. So many questions come with those details... what is happening in training? Are the players totally jaded and lacking in confidence? Are the tactics right for a team in this state? Why have so many of our talented players gone from heroes to zeroes in the space of 1 year?

It's not 1 year though. Our last credible season was in 16/17 when we got 86 points in the league. When you think about it, Poch couldn't ever get a tune out of them after they moved from the high pressing 4-2-3-1. Perhaps briefly in the CL run. Jose is addressing a 3 or 4 year decline.

I think some naively believe that one more transfer window, fit players back and a full pre-season gets us back and we will hit the ground running next season. My guess is that we'll see more stability but it will only be in calendar year 2021 before we start to see things happen, regardless of who is manager.

Eventually the squad (existing or new) adopts Jose's philosophy all in and we get going again. Some are showing resistance for now, others are trying to but can't get it, whilst some never will. That includes the full spectrum of talent, physiology, football brain, mentality, passion, commitment etc that Jose expects from them.

I just hope the fans ignore the negativity propagated mostly from the media and get the bigger picture. It's a process, but I personally think we have the right guy leading it.

Man management, stragety, confidence, fatigue and experience will all be valid reasons. Ability to adjust to different circumstances is also key.

Jose is certainly part of the process.

Ex said a few weeks back the players behind the scenes are not happy with Jose.

This is key. If this is true then we are in trouble.

Some players, not all.

It's not 1 year though. Our last credible season was in 16/17 when we got 86 points in the league. When you think about it, Poch couldn't ever get a tune out of them after they moved from the high pressing 4-2-3-1. Perhaps briefly in the CL run. Jose is addressing a 3 or 4 year decline.

I think some naively believe that one more transfer window, fit players back and a full pre-season gets us back and we will hit the ground running next season. My guess is that we'll see more stability but it will only be in calendar year 2021 before we start to see things happen, regardless of who is manager.

Eventually the squad (existing or new) adopts Jose's philosophy all in and we get going again. Some are showing resistance for now, others are trying to but can't get it, whilst some never will. That includes the full spectrum of talent, physiology, football brain, mentality, passion, commitment etc that Jose expects from them.

I just hope the fans ignore the negativity propagated mostly from the media and get the bigger picture. It's a process, but I personally think we have the right guy leading it.

" I think some naively believe that one more transfer window, fit players back and a full pre-season gets us back and we will hit the ground running next season. My guess is that we'll see more stability but it will only be in calendar year 2021 before we start to see things happen, regardless of who is manager."

It won't surprise you that I disagree; I think our current crop of players are far better than some assume. Jose is spot on about one thing, after the almost pointless pre-season Poch seems to have run, a focused hard working one, will be worth it's wait in gold and the impact will be instant.

We obviously need a couple of upgrades, but to really get us going we have to show belief in the players and get them playing off the front foot in the new season; just look at the evidence to date of what happens when we do, rather than take the defensive and utterly negative starts Jose has accustomed us to over the last few games.

" I think some naively believe that one more transfer window, fit players back and a full pre-season gets us back and we will hit the ground running next season. My guess is that we'll see more stability but it will only be in calendar year 2021 before we start to see things happen, regardless of who is manager."

It won't surprise you that I disagree; I think our current crop of players are far better than some assume. Jose is spot on about one thing, after the almost pointless pre-season Poch seems to have run, a focused hard working one, will be worth it's wait in gold and the impact will be instant.

We obviously need a couple of upgrades, but to really get us going we have to show belief in the players and get them playing off the front foot in the new season; just look at the evidence to date of what happens when we do, rather than take the defensive and utterly negative starts Jose has accustomed us to over the last few games.
I'm inclined to believe that we still have more quality players in our squad than most Clubs in the PL, we have 2-3 highly promising youngsters coming through, and Jose no doubt will be looking to bring in at least two signings of proven quality in the summer (providing he's backed). Whatever the merits of the squad and pre season however, which will be impacted by the Euros, I have a genuine concern that the manager has descended so far into a negative anti football mind set, that he maybe no longer has what it takes to produce a brand of football that will bring success. Hope I'm wrong, and equally hope that we don't spend two seasons drawing that conclusion.

I'm inclined to believe that we still have more quality players in our squad than most Clubs in the PL, we have 2-3 highly promising youngsters coming through, and Jose no doubt will be looking to bring in at least two signings of proven quality in the summer (providing he's backed). Whatever the merits of the squad and pre season however, which will be impacted by the Euros, I have a genuine concern that the manager has descended so far into a negative anti football mind set, that he maybe no longer has what it takes to produce a brand of football that will bring success. Hope I'm wrong, and equally hope that we don't spend two seasons drawing that conclusion.

Sadly, can only but agree, except with one thing; the manager will be 'backed' to the extent of the ring fenced transfer budget, which he will already be aware of, so it is up to Jose as much as anyone else on the transfer committee to find the financially viable targets.

I do genuinely believe that the starts have been down to the tactics based on the fit bodes and fatigue though. The second halves have been because of the "Rumble in the Jungle" tactics of letting the fitter and stronger, but less talented boxer punch themselves out. Perhaps the way round you allude to might have seen us concede late goals and get floored that way.

Either way, I'm hoping this is all academic as Jose can play the way he wants eventually. It's as you say, on the front foot, doing the pressing and retaining possession but not to the point where you turn down getting into dangerous areas. It's also about not conceding goals and keeping them way from your 19 yard box. That's his MO when he has the personnel.

I can agree about the pre-season, but don't think the transfer window will be anything other than a late show again. In fact, it will be even later this year, plus the impact for the Euro's. Pre-season will drive improvement but still don't think we'll hit our stride until second half of next season. I hope you're right though, and without CL or EL you definitely have a strong case.

"The majority of the mistakes have come through either poor passing or poor positioning".

Poor passing is more often than not, a consequence of poor positioning by the recipient of the pass.

Our off the ball movement has really suffered under JM to the point where mistakes are becoming more plentiful, thus destroying the confidence of the passer. Crazy stuff given that not too long ago (12-18 months) our high pressing fast flowing football was just glorious to watch and the envy of many a Club.

Now, the likes of Norwich are rubbing their collective hands together in the realization they can grab 3 points.

I'll need to take your word for that '80, as I can't get any of our games on TV this season due to coverage rights. Even although they're being played at 2;30am Monday mornings Brisbane time, I'd still get up to punish myself if I could.