TOTTENHAM V everton Saturday 23 rd 15-00 k o . MATCH THREAD | Page 16 | Vital Football

TOTTENHAM V everton Saturday 23 rd 15-00 k o . MATCH THREAD

Davies was dreadful at Wolves as well. A few good games doesn't re write history.

If Sanchez was here I bet he would have been third choice.
I'm not so sure, Sanchez was awful when played in the LCB role. I think we all agree that Davies isn't the ideal backup for the position and that a better option has to be our first priority in the January window. I like the fact our manager shows his appreciation for what he does bring in the absence of VdV.

I'm not so sure, Sanchez was awful when played in the LCB role. I think we all agree that Davies isn't the ideal backup for the position and that a better option has to be our first priority in the January window. I like the fact our manager shows his appreciation for what he does bring in the absence of VdV.
In pre season and early season Sanchez was third choice.

And yes Vinnie Sanchez was woeful.

And got moved on once Ange had assessed his capabilities.
Only because Ange thought we had a new CB coming in though.

Sanchez at that point was ahead of both Davies and Dier. Dier was excluded from the squad altogether. Sanchez was his go to CB from the bench.

He said after we signed VDV he wanted two more CBS. If Phillips was one of those I'm pretty sure Ange would have preferred the experience CB over the young CB with no Premier league experience.

I don't think it's as simple as Sanchez was the weakest link so he was sold ahead of others.

Sanchez at that point was ahead of both Davies and Dier. Dier was excluded from the squad altogether. Sanchez was his go to CB from the bench.

He said after we signed VDV he wanted two more CBS. If Phillips was one of those I'm pretty sure Ange would have preferred the experience CB over the young CB with no Premier league experience.

I don't think it's as simple as Sanchez was the weakest link so he was sold ahead of others.
I guess Sanchez was the easiest to move out between himself and Dier, I doubt Davies was considered for sale due to him being able to cover a number of positions, albeit at a quality below which we aspire to.

Sandringham is in Norfolk Fevvers, Balmoral is in Scotland.
I know TQ, it was a seniors moment, later in the day I realised but rather than issuing a correction I thought I'd leave it to see if anyone picked it up, Good-on-ya!
Footnote: for a short time I lived about 15 miles away from Sandringham, was evacuated during the war.

The way I see it...Phillips has been on the bench...and if he is on the damn bench he is ready to go. Why not give him a go to see how he pairs with Romero? I just don't get having fit players on the bench and not use them. Instead we play folks out of position or hurt. (aka...Sonny and Rich last season...)

Seriously our bench the last few matches is full of young players....so why not get them in? Phillips, Dorrington, Veliz, Donley....

The way I see it...Phillips has been on the bench...and if he is on the damn bench he is ready to go. Why not give him a go to see how he pairs with Romero? I just don't get having fit players on the bench and not use them. Instead we play folks out of position or hurt. (aka...Sonny and Rich last season...)

Seriously our bench the last few matches is full of young players....so why not get them in? Phillips, Dorrington, Veliz, Donley....
I would have started Phillips at Wolves. Was the perfect time to experiment. He went with experience and backfired massively.

At some point Ange will have to take the plunge with either Phillips or Dorrington. Especially if we don't sign another CB.

I guess Sanchez was the easiest to move out between himself and Dier, I doubt Davies was considered for sale due to him being able to cover a number of positions, albeit at a quality below which we aspire to.
As always mate, many variables at play when the transfer market is open.

From what I remember, Sanchez wanted out the summer before but there were no concrete offers. I guess his agents then upped the ante and made sure that didn't happen again. There's no doubt in my mind that Sanchez would have been 3rd choice in Ange's system.

Davinson didn't want bragging rights over Dier and Davies though, and just be a 3rd choice. He's been a mainstay at Galatasaray and has 1st team football including CL games. Worth remembering that Dier also saw the writing on the wall but was blocked from moving in the summer. If the same thing had happened when he was 26/27 you just know that an amazingly strong character like Eric would have forced a move. Emerson is also a strong character and my hunch is that his entourage are already planning his next move where he can be a first teamer.

RD has said this a lot, but our mistakes have been around contract extensions. All 3 of the Sanchez, Dier and Davies should have been moved on. Skipp and Hojbjerg fall into that category right now as well. We must not dare let them outstay their welcome when they're not up to the job.

I would have started Phillips at Wolves. Was the perfect time to experiment. He went with experience and backfired massively.

At some point Ange will have to take the plunge with either Phillips or Dorrington. Especially if we don't sign another CB.
Our defenders and goalkeeper were under the pump against Wolves. Our front players were not good enough to keep the possession and release the constant stampede on our defence. Exposing Phillips to that on his debut might have garnered a heavier defeat.

Our defenders and goalkeeper were under the pump against Wolves. Our front players were not good enough to keep the possession and release the constant stampede on our defence. Exposing Phillips to that on his debut might have garnered a heavier defeat.

Maybe...but maybe not....guess that is the risk. But this is a rebuilding year...so why not is my thought. We all know we need a few solid windows to really get going...as well as offloading a good number of players too. In the meantime if we have a couple young diamonds in the rough or even solid squad players that may eventually develop into starters...why not see what we have? This is the perfect season to do that.

Maybe...but maybe not....guess that is the risk. But this is a rebuilding year...so why not is my thought. We all know we need a few solid windows to really get going...as well as offloading a good number of players too. In the meantime if we have a couple young diamonds in the rough or even solid squad players that may eventually develop into starters...why not see what we have? This is the perfect season to do that.
If you support Ange, you have to trust his and his team's judgement.

They decided he wasn't ready, as far as all the rest of this guff is concerned, it doesn't matter.

I'd just trust his judgement personally and not second guess him, it is he who coaches them and sees them in training games every single day.

If you support Ange, you have to trust his and his team's judgement.

They decided he wasn't ready, as far as all the rest of this guff is concerned, it doesn't matter.

I'd just trust his judgement personally and not second guess him, it is he who coaches them and sees them in training games every single day.

I do trust AP....but as a supporter and a fan...it is my job to question needlessly! LOL

From what I remember, Sanchez wanted out the summer before but there were no concrete offers. I guess his agents then upped the ante and made sure that didn't happen again. There's no doubt in my mind that Sanchez would have been 3rd choice in Ange's system.

Davinson didn't want bragging rights over Dier and Davies though, and just be a 3rd choice. He's been a mainstay at Galatasaray and has 1st team football including CL games. Worth remembering that Dier also saw the writing on the wall but was blocked from moving in the summer. If the same thing had happened when he was 26/27 you just know that an amazingly strong character like Eric would have forced a move. Emerson is also a strong character and my hunch is that his entourage are already planning his next move where he can be a first teamer.

RD has said this a lot, but our mistakes have been around contract extensions. All 3 of the Sanchez, Dier and Davies should have been moved on. Skipp and Hojbjerg fall into that category right now as well. We must not dare let them outstay their welcome when they're not up to the job.
Dier was blocked from moving by whom muttley? It was reported that the club had lined up a few deals which Dier rejected. And quite right if Eric didn't fancy them.

It was also reported that Dier wanted the equivalent of his contract paid at any new club and he wanted Spurs to pay it if the new club couldnt match it. He also wanted (supposedly) a free transfer which Spurs wouldn't agree to.

Who really knows where the truth is? What is clear - and I'm sure it would have been clear to Dier - is that he played no part on Ange's plans. So from the club's perspective there was no point keeping him on the payroll for another year.

I was hoping we had moved on from dealing with unwanted players in this way. I hate to keep using Arsenal as a refence point but they took the decision to cancel the contracts of highly-paid players who had no part in Arteta's plans. They may have take a short-term hit on the balance sheet but in the medium and long term those decisions will pay dividends both in football and financial terms.

The whole team failed to turn up after the 3rd minute for sure. But ultimately it was the two old guard defender's that switched off completely for the two goals.

This is either a rebuild or it isn't. There is no in-between line here.

I'd take 9th now if it means Dorrington, Phillips, Donnelly are getting regular games and experience.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again.

Doesn't look like we have changed much with giving players contracts when they should be moved on.

Forster shouldn't have been given a new deal, the guy can't play SGK to save his life. So instantly we have our back up GK who can't play the system.

Fingers crossed he is third choice next season.

Doesn't look like we have changed much with giving players contracts when they should be moved on.

Forster shouldn't have been given a new deal, the guy can't play SGK to save his life. So instantly we have our back up GK who can't play the system.

Fingers crossed he is third choice next season.
That is a great point RD . I was thinking that with all the injuries we have endured , when we get them all back , and the first team purring again , those who come in for cover , will have had a brilliant apprenticeship.

I hadn’t factored in Forster . :oops::(

The whole team failed to turn up after the 3rd minute for sure. But ultimately it was the two old guard defender's that switched off completely for the two goals.

This is either a rebuild or it isn't. There is no in-between line here.

I'd take 9th now if it means Dorrington, Phillips, Donnelly are getting regular games and experience.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again.
The two old-guard defenders kept us in the game for as long as possible amidst the constant battering they took from the Wolves attackers. Our forwards made it a walk in the park for the Wolves at the other end. What happened in the end was an inevitable conclusion of constant pressure.