Tottenham V Crystal Palace Preview | Page 7 | Vital Football

Tottenham V Crystal Palace Preview

How many second choice strikers do you think we are going to get through before we realise that perhaps, it isn't just their fault? Vinnie lost confidence and never managed to regain it. It looks like Llorente is suffering the same fate. We don't seem to know how to play to their strengths when Harry isn't there. In all the game time Llorente has had so far, I think I have seen one decent cross put in to him. It was the same with Vinnie in many ways but his movement was generally poor due to inexperience. If Llorente manages to get some decent service that suits his style, we'll see an improvement.

Matic - 7/11/2017 12:56

How many second choice strikers do you think we are going to get through before we realise that perhaps, it isn't just their fault? Vinnie lost confidence and never managed to regain it. It looks like Llorente is suffering the same fate. We don't seem to know how to play to their strengths when Harry isn't there. In all the game time Llorente has had so far, I think I have seen one decent cross put in to him. It was the same with Vinnie in many ways but his movement was generally poor due to inexperience. If Llorente manages to get some decent service that suits his style, we'll see an improvement.

he is adapting fast and will find the net soon, unlucky against RM

10Hoddle - 7/11/2017 02:32

80deg16minW - 6/11/2017 04:26

Spurs are a mess? That is an outrageous statement.

Take a quick look at Pollo’s comparison thread. We are ahead on both counts compared to last season.

And then........if you’re so inclined, take a look at where we are in the Champion’s League.

We are smoking hot.

If you think our performance was smoking hot V Palace, you're delusional.

That was a dis jointed mess I witnessed, and if we were playing any team worth their salt, we'd have been embarrassed. We allowed Palace to emulate a team that was certainly not bottom of the table. We were a mess.

Aurier was a mess. Not sure why he was picked ahead of Trippier.

Don't get me wrong happy clapper, we have a wonderful team and manager, but just so consistently inconsistent, which is why we will not win anything this season.

Not a stats man. I can see where we improve, and see areas that need work. Last season is history.

I do pray for silverware, but that's not us right now. I'll be happy with 2nd again, but we'll need to get rid of these stupid performances like the Palace game if we're to keep the wolves from the door. :7:

It's funny, we're full of admiration for managers/coaches we believe has a superior grasp of tactics; as so many fans believe that the use of decisive or even incisive tactics can make or break a team; all of the skinny margin wins we have had were against opposition who all presupposed that parking the bus was the way to try and nick a point or even pinch three (which the chav's did) - so let's give Woy some credit for getting his tactics right against a superior, if slightly below par team.

And they won't be the last to try/do it against us - do NOT forget that so far only one club has come to Wembley and believed that could go toe to toe with us and out play us - and it's a salutary lesson to all wannabe winnners at Wembley what we can do to them if they do.

So let's ease off on the criticism of a makeshift team, who in years gone by would probably have been 'Spursey' and rolled over, instead we banked 3pts - it's a shame it wasn't the destruction that some fans think we should have had - but as I said in the pre-match, this is a different Crystal Palace that's a different proposition and its excellent performances will soon see points on the board.

Unquestionably some individual performances have to be improved; but that's a positive, nota negative.

Every now and then we will get a sub par performance. We are not going to play well every game but as long as we win does it really matter. Plus we have a few players who needed rest or injured so I think we did quite well tbh.

Im glad kane, alli and winks have not gone to international duty as it will mean they are fresh for the scum.

Some people just live to bitch. We could go a whole season unbeaten and win every competition we're included in, but you'd still get the odd idiot wanting to whine about the mistake that led to the solitary goal we conceded in the whole season.

We're consistently improving, year on year. We're doing it with a solid English core and a genuinely likeable bunch of players/staff (on the whole)... but we have an off-day, playing a make-shift team, right off the back of an incredible win, and we're 'consistently inconsistent' and won't win anything.

The Palace performance was poor, but we won. When we start playing that poor over a stretch of games and drop points because of it, then we can all start whining.

To be honest, I think we are doing better than I thought we would this season. We certainly have problems breaking teams down at Wembley and Palace were unlucky not to get something from the game. I would feel better if we could get a decent striker in in Jan. Llorente is worse than both Janssen and Soldado.

80deg16minW - 7/11/2017 11:27

There are absolute measurements, in which case we are ahead of last year. And there are relative measurements in which case we are not. We are 3 points behind last year.

City need to improve their defence. There isn’t a team in the league that doesn’t have deficiencies.

And if thinking Spurs are mentally tough enough to get through a few rough moments on the right side of the ledger makes me a happy clapper then so be it.

But to say the club has gone from beating Real Madrid to being a mess in the matter of 4 days is hyperbole of the first order. Crystal Palace was Boxing Day for the players. And we came out on top.

Which measurement would that be?

To graft the 3 points from this game was a great result.

My concerns are that if we can play so poorly with Kane against the bottom club, how will we fair without him against better opposition? Not sure how many goals Ali and Son had banked by this time last year, but there doesn't seem to be a plan B without HK.

No whining, just a realist. If we are serious about the title chase, and just maybe some silverware, we need more depth all over the field, and with the injuries we always have, we just don't have that depth. The team V Real was close to our best 11, who can beat anyone. Once that gets diluted, we're there for the taking.

It's time to bite the bullet and sign a goal scorer who is PL ready. Messing about with Soldado, Janssen, Llorente and the like is a simple waste of time and money.

Didn't mean to offend '80, but more than anything, I want to see the performances that Spurs are known for. I appreciate we can't play beautiful every game, but we'd come close with more depth, less injuries.

Once again, I feel there are questions to be asked about our training and the link to our injury list, which seems to grow each week.

:7:

If we played to Llorente's strength's he would do well. He has proven to be a good-very good CF in Spain, Italy and in England with a average team Swansea. Bottom line is we are not playing to his strength's or style so he looks out of place. IMO that is not the fault of the player but of the management.

Sorry, my bad. Llorente was a success for Swansea with 15 goals in 33 appearances, so obviously PL proven. :14:

Llorente seems to be a sub for Kane when the game is dead. Plus an option for lesser cups I guess. So he is a way of resting Kane during a match . Injury cover also . So he has his uses and probably knows why he is there.

Yep I would love him to score and he probably should have by now. With Rose and Tripps whipping in crosses it's got to happen surely ?

I can only remember 2 chances he should have scored. One header and a shot from the edge of the box.

A few of us questioned his signing and I still feel the same. Good CF but not the player we needed.