TOTTENHAM v Burnley FA CUP 3rd round Friday 5 th Jan 20-00 MATCH THREAD | Page 11 | Vital Football

TOTTENHAM v Burnley FA CUP 3rd round Friday 5 th Jan 20-00 MATCH THREAD

The game played out pretty much as I expect, deep block by Burnley, little space, and some poor decision-making by us in and around their box and when it was available our execution was wanting.

Porro wasn't lucky, he did the intelligent thing:- nothing on, little movement and knew the clock was ticking down, it was one of the few occasions where they didn't close us down quickly, so he made the decision and took the shot and what a shot it was.

No luck about, but a great deal of foresight and skill PJ!
I didn't mean to infer Pedro was lucky, sorry if you thought that!

It was an excellent shot n finish. COYS

Well I didn't watch it on tele, but I did record it, but I might not bother with that now! Not after learning this:

"So ITV get a Tottenham FA Cup tie, & who do they employ?!

Presenter: Laura Woods (Arsenal fanatic)
Pundit 1: Ian Wright (Arsenal legend)
Pundit 2: Karen Carney (Arsenal & Chelsea legend)Co-commentator:
Lee Dixon (Arsenal legend)

WTF were ITV thinking!?
Not sure about the legend stuff but this is what is happening on BBC SKY and ITV and also TNT Sports ... it aint gonna change now is it.

Wouldnt be so bad if they employed people who could properly commentate on a game iso of dross remarks

Not sure about the legend stuff but this is what is happening on BBC SKY and ITV and also TNT Sports ... it aint gonna change now is it.

Wouldnt be so bad if they employed people who could properly commentate on a game iso of dross remarks
Your right there sld, its all gone bloody Woke, PC and equality. Grrr!

I'm inclined to agree where last nights performance was concerned, there was very little entertainment and not a lot of good football. That needs to be put into the context however of how Burnley played, they only set out to spoil. As I've said elsewhere, we struggle, and have done so for many seasons, against teams that only set out to play negatively.
All of our best performances since Postco arrived have been in matches where the opposition were prepared to go toe to toe with us. Even the Everton game, which I had no expectations for, was a thoroughly entertaining game, because Everton played their part in producing an open game which encouraged entertaining football. Very different from last night, and Sheffield United earlier in the season, where opposition tactics completely negate Postco's football philosophy.
This is what I find frustrating. Surely it is even more important to up the tempo against the bus parkers. Faced with a block, we seem to become more methodical giving them time to get in shape. Our most promising tactic was the long ball out to BJ in space.

I thought Burnley did well their 442 shape in 1st half. Spurs players missed a few chances and ricihie still offside too many times and fluffed scuffed his shots... Brennon had a good effort saved, sonny would have done better, on both chances. No fluid passing and movements due to missing players. Poro's goal brilliant effort. We will have very difficult games coming up and need our squad players to improve their efforts, COYS

Well I didn't watch it on tele, but I did record it, but I might not bother with that now! Not after learning this:

WTF were ITV thinking!?
Good un Spex
I said as much at half time in the comments
Lee Dixon, my god he is so lack lustre, in any game not just ours how is he a commentator, but you could hear the Bias in his comments.
Didn't know or care about the pundit stuff at half time, never listen now anyways.
As has been said, I look at FF now (rarely) on Saturday, Im not fond of Alex wsssername, but why does there always now need to be another female there, and or a black guy
I never really noticed or cared, but now it's become so woke to 'insert' people into programmes, don't they realizer that that is, worse than the perceived bias they had, its now become tokenism.
Simple there are good white presenters, good black presenters, male /female etc..
Can't help it I like ol Wrighty and Dion Dublin, I like Gabby Logan
I just dislike the 'Box Ticking' exercise it's now become and some of these people are falling for it.

Good un Spex
I said as much at half time in the comments
Lee Dixon, my god he is so lack lustre, in any game not just ours how is he a commentator, but you could hear the Bias in his comments.
Didn't know or care about the pundit stuff at half time, never listen now anyways.
As has been said, I look at FF now (rarely) on Saturday, Im not fond of Alex wsssername, but why does there always now need to be another female there, and or a black guy
I never really noticed or cared, but now it's become so woke to 'insert' people into programmes, don't they realizer that that is, worse than the perceived bias they had, its now become tokenism.
Simple there are good white presenters, good black presenters, male /female etc..
Can't help it I like ol Wrighty and Dion Dublin, I like Gabby Logan
I just dislike the 'Box Ticking' exercise it's now become and some of these people are falling for it.
SPOT ON! there Niall, esp regards Gabby Logan. COYS

This is what I find frustrating. Surely it is even more important to up the tempo against the bus parkers. Faced with a block, we seem to become more methodical giving them time to get in shape. Our most promising tactic was the long ball out to BJ in space.
Fully agree with your point LL. Slow and methodical is all we were. I was disappointed that Lo Celso too was slow releasing the ball, In the absence of Sonny, we don't have a forward player that scares the opposition by running at them. Richi is clumsy in that respect, Kulu one dimensional and BJ still finding his feet (literally!!), Hence my comment re. Werner on the Transfers thread. We need options. Never liked playing against the like sof Sterling or Hazaard.

Fully agree with your point LL. Slow and methodical is all we were. I was disappointed that Lo Celso too was slow releasing the ball, In the absence of Sonny, we don't have a forward player that scares the opposition by running at them. Richi is clumsy in that respect, Kulu one dimensional and BJ still finding his feet (literally!!), Hence my comment re. Werner on the Transfers thread. We need options. Never liked playing against the like sof Sterling or Hazaard.
In that context I thought the contribution of Gil was really important last night.

The game was drifting and we looked to be out of ideas but he injected some tempo into our play. In the process Burnley's defenders started rushing where previously they had looked very comfortable.

He doesn't look like he has that quality in the penalty area to be a forward in our squad but I'd still like to see him a number 8 or number 10 role before discarding him.

In that context I thought the contribution of Gil was really important last night.

The game was drifting and we looked to be out of ideas but he injected some tempo into our play. In the process Burnley's defenders started rushing where previously they had looked very comfortable.

He doesn't look like he has that quality in the penalty area to be a forward in our squad but I'd still like to see him a number 8 or number 10 role before discarding him.
I have backed Gil for being a success ever since his arrival. But, as pointed out by others, he still hasn't adapted to the physicality and readily goes to ground. Plenty examples last night. But yes, at least he injected some urgency,

....and most of my earlier observations on him were based on his role as an 8 or 10 where he was free to move about.

Last edited:

WTF were ITV thinking!?

Guess that is why we have a 'mute' button. LOL

Un
Until we get our two best CB's and Maddison back, we won't be able to play to our full potential.

We can't play the high line with our current options which means we can't dominate our opponent in the key areas.

We saw early season the potential this philosophy can bring. Ange is a genius for having us in the hunt with this squad.

Un

Until we get our two best CB's and Maddison back, we won't be able to play to our full potential.

We can't play the high line with our current options which means we can't dominate our opponent in the key areas.

We saw early season the potential this philosophy can bring. Ange is a genius for having us in the hunt with this squad.
I think we dominated last night but did nothing with it. But yes a mixture of determination and good fortune has kept us in both comps. Whether the Ange way is sustainable over a season remains to be seen, but we all agree it's a fun ride.

I think we dominated last night but did nothing with it. But yes a mixture of determination and good fortune has kept us in both comps. Whether the Ange way is sustainable over a season remains to be seen, but we all agree it's a fun ride.

I guess we can look like a very credible team but will always be susceptible at the back until key players are back. What was noticeable at the end of last nights game was the absence of Richi defending corners and set pieces after he went off. We literally had Udogie against 5 of their 6 footers. I can't remember the last time I saw a keeper win such an easy header.