Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United FC - The Magpies | Page 10 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United FC - The Magpies

Similar was said of Defoe being a flat track bully if memory serves. Perhaps it was more down to our tactics or overall team performances rather than the individuals at the sharp end.

Similar was said of Defoe being a flat track bully if memory serves. Perhaps it was more down to our tactics or overall team performances rather than the individuals at the sharp end.

Or maybe those opponents had his number. For a player so blessed with an abundance of craft and ingenuity, you would think that at least once in 12 matches against said opposition his ability would come to the fore. It never did. That always puzzled me.

Or maybe those opponents had his number. For a player so blessed with an abundance of craft and ingenuity, you would think that at least once in 12 matches against said opposition his ability would come to the fore. It never did. That always puzzled me.
That's really weird , I had never noticed that Richmond . I can still vividly remember watching the Skysports transfer deadline day programme when it was announced that he had signed ,literally ,at the eleventh hour ......ah those were the days .

He was just too slow, and for teams who had quick defenders just to easy to play against; from the day he joined us he was never fit enough.

I loved VDV but I was of the opinion at the time that he in some ways did more harm than good to us when it came to the bigger picture. We were over reliant on him, and whenever he was out injured, which was a lot, our form dropped off. If he was having a bad game you'd still leave him on as he could pull off the winner from nothing. Amazing to think we qualified for the CL without him, as that next season you'd think we didn't know how to win a game without him.

He was brilliant, but he was a luxury player. Maybe what that team needed to really push on was more of a grafter who left everything on the pitch? Or maybe we were a much better side the next season but didn't have the squad depth for our CL run and qualifying again.

Anyway. Shortest tenure of a recent club legend?