Top ten gills songs / chants | Vital Football

Top ten gills songs / chants

Glenn Roeder sucks a horse’s penis.

Hahahaha, I remember that ditty.

There was an enlightened one again Wrexham one year regarding Ian Rush's incestuous tendencies sung to the tune of Men of Harlech that has always stuck with me.

Not originally sung for Glenn Roeder though, I also remember it previously being sung about Jason Lillis. Don't know if there may have been others before him.

And I remember the song Herr's talking about too.

Always liked the "All in all you're just another prick from Millwall" that I heard one year at the Den.

You ain't got no education...

Hey Nibbles! I claim copywrite on this thread! 😁

When times are $hit as they often are at Gills, there is always a gallows song to cheer us up.

'We're going down in a minute' just before we were relegated against Forest I think.
and
'The football league is upside down,
We're going up with the Sarfend,
The football league is upside down.'

Not originally sung for Glenn Roeder though, I also remember it previously being sung about Jason Lillis. Don't know if there may have been others before him.

And I remember the song Herr's talking about too.

Always liked the "All in all you're just another prick from Millwall" that I heard one year at the Den.

You ain't got no education...

U-N-I T-E-D
Jason Lillis has got VD
With a knick-knack paddywhack
Give a dog a bone
Maidstone United have got no home

That Millwall one was terrace wit at its finest

Jason Lillis is actually a very nice bloke, had a chat with him a few times when he was manager at Lordswood. Never asked him about horses' penises though.

Midweek game at the old Den, Gills were going quite well that season, Millwall not so good. Gills started chanting " We're going up, We're going up, you're not, you're not, quick as a flash Wall come back with "We're going home, We're going home, you're not, you're not.

" All cock no balls, all cock no balls "

Sung to referee Paul Alcock not a description of Glenn Roeders/Jason Lillis horse blow job technique.

He has to be the only ref that’s ever had his very own chant. Shit he was too.

Quite liked it when we sang ‘you’re just a shit Robbie Savage’ at a long haired Alan Smith playing for MK Dons.

A lot of what we sing nowadays are dirges, but we have good ones over the years, either from the song/tune or the context:

- “Que Sera Sera, We’re Going to Shrewsbury” when it dawned on us at Leeds that we were getting relegated

- Curtis Weston’s one. Jim Stannard. One Decent German. Delroy Facey having a giant schlong. Leo Fortune West. Adrian Pennock.

- Ring of Fire is good as it’s simple and gets the whole ground going, but you can keep it going with a few people for a while knowing the next time anything happens in the game it’ll get going again. A good way of getting the atmosphere going, even in a dull half. “We are the Left Side…” similar.

- Jason ‘Pineapple’ Lee. The Welsh ones about sheep and building walls rather than bridges.

- Is there a Fire Drill?

- Does McDonalds Know you’re Here? Sumo at Colchester’s Layer Road, aimed at a particular rotund steward.

- There was a charming back-and-forth with Brighton fans at Priestfield back in the 90s or 2000s, when they (and possibly us) were languishing near the bottom of the league. A lot of stuff from both sets of fans which would be termed offensive nowadays!

- The gallows humour. “We’ll Win Again/away, Don’t Know When, Don’t Know When, Don’t Know Where…”, “The Football League is Upside Down” as already mentioned.

- The classic “Who are ya?!” can be effective, like when sung to Henry and Pires when they came on as subs for Arsenal, Robert Prosinecki (Golden Boot award 10 years prior to that penalty vs us!) or when taking the lead vs a big team. There’s a great vid below from Charlton away years ago (God knows why it’s titled Hooligans).

Last edited:
No one likes us was great at Wembley and a shirt time after.

Then stopped by the purist superior fans in the RE when would even shout for the chant to be stopped when sung by youngsters in the family enclosure.

then of course the super bob one.

Not a chant but am I imagining this or were there billboards outside Wembley when we played Wigan by Virgin trains saying:

“Wigan fans: Trains leave Euston back to Wigan every 20 minutes.

Gillingham fans: Those men in pointy hats are policemen”

Can't remember who it was, but we were playing an away game and were in a relegation battle as ever and playing someone who was already, or pretty much, down. Our fans chanted to them "going down, going down, going down" to them and they came back with a quickfire response of " so are we, so are we...", which I thought was good old school wit.

Can't remember who it was, but we were playing an away game and were in a relegation battle as ever and playing someone who was already, or pretty much, down. Our fans chanted to them "going down, going down, going down" to them and they came back with a quickfire response of " so are we, so are we...", which I thought was good old school wit.
The Brighton one went something like:

- Gills fans: Going Down, Going Down”
- Brighton: possibly what you said?

Then for the next 5-10 minutes it was “Pie 🔑 s Down” “Rentboys Down” each one being a different version. Maybe someone in each end had a thesaurus/urban dictionary?

Chelsea fans to us … you all live in caravans
us to them ………… you all live in tower blocks
them to us ………… yes we do, but we own the tower blocks
Everyone round The Bridge started clapping.

Remember the RE singing, to the tune of knees up mother brown, who's up Mary Brown, who's up Mary Brown, Tommy Tommy Docherty... In reference to his affair with the Utd's physio's wife