Top 20 clubs | Page 2 | Vital Football

Top 20 clubs

Gordon_Road_Mat - 23/1/2018 13:22

Has money in football made football better?

Yes: The quality of football has definitely improved, being able to bring in the best players from around the world has made the Premier League the pinnacle in terms of quality of football.

No: Everything else.

Define Quality ? A common definition is "fitness for purpose". The premier league is exciting due to the goals but is it the pinnacle in the world ?

Spain have dominated the champions league for a good few years now. Surely on that measure Spain is the pinnacle in terms of quality of football - at least in Europe.

The premier league money has stunted the development of English players and that in turn has stunted the progression of the national team. Far too many mercenaries.

The money has modernized stadiums but also taken the game away from the working man due to ticket prices.

Overall its done more good than harm I guess but its sickening to see community clubs like Hartlepool face a winding up order for the sums of money that some stars earn in a week and some bang average players earn in a month.

"The premier league money has stunted the development of English players and that in turn has stunted the progression of the national team."

I'm not sure this is the case. Every time this is mentioned I think Wales.

I think it can be reasonably argued that England have better quality players, and more of them to pick from than Wales do. And yet Wales have made a semi-final in the most recent tournament.

I think the issue from an England point of view is the same old mistakes are repeated again and again by successive managers.

While I don't think England have any world beaters in the class of Messi or Ronaldo, or for that matter even Gareth Bale, there are enough decent players to be able to make a decent competitive team.

However when we approach a tournament with a manager not knowing his best team, having a captain that cannot motivate the team (most recently Wayne Rooney against Iceland in the Euro's), when we take players that are not match fit, or worse injured to tournaments (most recently Jack Wilshere in the Euro's), we play players out of position, and most dammingly of all try to shoe horn in the best 11 players into a team, rather than building a team, then I think we are on to a loser from the start.

Alf Ramsey dropped Jimmy Greaves to create his team. And 'team' is the key word here. In tournaments we rarely look like a team.

I'm hopeful Gareth Southgate will buck this trend, but being an England fan, I'm used to the disappointment.

markinkent - 23/1/2018 18:32

The money has modernized stadiums but also taken the game away from the working man due to ticket prices.

That's the sort of statement that gets thumbs up on internet forums, but has no basis in actual fact.

Maybe the most remarkable thing is that Bournemouth - who, until just a few years ago, were a club about the same size of Gillingham - are now the 28th richest club in the world (by revenue).