Too quick to criticize | Vital Football

Too quick to criticize

charlz54

Vital Squad Member
I think one fault we have as Wigan fans is the speed at which we start to criticize and moan when things aren’t quite going to plan. As one who has criticised Kal Naismith and Cooky this season,I’m feeling rather embarrassed now as I look at the turnaround we have had. Naismith always gives 100% in a number of positions and he is a very useful player o have at our club. Many of us got on Cookys back earlier in the season but what a transformation he has overseen......it must be down the coaching and training methods employed.
We don’t know what is going to happen next season yet,but maybe we should all, as fans, decide to get behind our team and manager,whatever, and be determined not to jump on the players and managers backs as soon as something goes wrong.

I think one fault we have as Wigan fans is the speed at which we start to criticize and moan when things aren’t quite going to plan. As one who has criticised Kal Naismith and Cooky this season,I’m feeling rather embarrassed now as I look at the turnaround we have had. Naismith always gives 100% in a number of positions and he is a very useful player o have at our club. Many of us got on Cookys back earlier in the season but what a transformation he has overseen......it must be down the coaching and training methods employed.
We don’t know what is going to happen next season yet,but maybe we should all, as fans, decide to get behind our team and manager,whatever, and be determined not to jump on the players and managers backs as soon as something goes wrong.

I was convinced after Reading at home that Cook would leave and Kal wouldn't play again. So glad I was wrong.

I wouldn't feel guilty or embarrassed at all Charlz (and I am in the same boat as yourself) The football served up for the vast majority of the first half of the season was turgid and the results worse. And the manager, his staff and the players were all, rightly, called out for it. You are also correct that this change in fortune has been great - I didn't see it coming at all (though sure some on here will say they did 🤔).
So criticism and praise both where due is fine IMO

Does he deserve another season after only around 20 decent performances/results in two seasons in the Championship?

I suppose it all depends on whether or not you think he (and the team) can replicate this form for a decent chunk of next season.

I'm going yes.

I suppose it all depends on whether or not you think he (and the team) can replicate this form for a decent chunk of next season.

I'm going yes.

Understand what you're saying bro but i'm not sure i want to risk another relegation battle, lets be reet thats all we've known from Cook in this division.

Understand what you're saying bro but i'm not sure i want to risk another relegation battle, lets be reet thats all we've known from Cook in this division.
And in return, I understand your reticence in not wanting to give him another shot ............. but surely, he's gone through the learning, and he's now got the experience at this level.

What I would say though is that if he does stay,. we should be aiming for play offs, expecting top half as a minimum.

I actually think we've been very patient with Cook. Hindsight is always 20/20, and the last few games have been brilliant, but given what we witnessed in the first two thirds of the season, even after spending ten million quid in summer, added to the fact that only a run as miraculous as seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar over a rainbow saved us from the drop last year, I stand by my assertion that he should have been sacked. I can't think of many (if any) other clubs that would've tolerated a year and a half of the dross that Cook has served up.

It's all well and good looking at the last ten games and saying things are hunky dory now, but we said that exact same thing at the end of last season's spectacular run, but then this season has been terrible for more than half of it as well. If Cook can't get the team playing apart from the last dozen or so games (which looks to be a trend forming) then eventually his luck will run out and we may well be too far adrift next year to save ourselves.

It's great that we're putting ourselves in a strong position to stay up again (it's not over until the fat lady sings though: let's not get complacent), but I'd still be looking for a new manager in summer: one who can deliver good performances for an entire season, not just the last third. What the last few games have shown is is that we have a squad that can beat anyone if they organise well and play attacking football. I'd like to see a manager who can get those sorts of performances from the get go: something I have little confidence in Cook's ability to do. If we'd played like we are playing now all season, we'd be at minimum in the playoffs places.

So two ways of looking at it... One is that we're relieved that we are looking like we have a good chance to survive, but the other way of looking at it, now we can see what the squad is actually capable of, is to be very frustrated because if we'd started playing like this earlier in the season, we would've probably been in line for a playoff finish.

I'm not part of your group as I never criticise Cook and do appreciate Naismith at the start. Pity a lot couldn't see the good in the team/manager.
I do wonder if the players are playing better without fear of criticisms/booing from supporters.