Too much doom and Gloom. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Too much doom and Gloom.

The doom and gloom amongst the fans would have been a lot less had the chairman declared his minimum expectations this season was an improvement on the last season, and not mentioned play offs or promotion.
I dunno, there were plenty on here saying that anything other than promotion would be a failure after what we'd apparently spent regardless of what BG said

Great post.

Thanks for proving that some Gills fans have the ability to demonstrate measure. We're a world away from where we were 18 months ago.

What was he supposed to say? "I think, after nearly being relegation fodder, I'd be happy with a mid-table effort next season." People would have hit the roof!

Sadly, it says more about people's ability to appraise our football team than it does about Brad's hopes as Chairman of the football club!

Bad take. I get it though - I read your posts and it fits neatly with your sky-is-falling narrative...

In my humble opinion, the biggest problem with Gills at the moment is a segment of the fanbase who will never be satisfied, no matter the reality. We are a small, local league two club with some potential. Not that long ago, our squad was so bad we were nearly - and rightfully - relegated to the national league.

And I can't lie - it works. If you choose to back doom and gloom, eventually you'll be proven right. Every manager gets sacked eventually. It's as some people just can't separate the frustrations of an emotional game - up and down - and avoid projecting spittle when it doesn't go to plan.

We are on track to improve:
* We have, in Brad and Shannon, two smart individuals who are committed to this club and the good that it can bring. That's a huge plus that so many fans can't say about their club.
* They understand that culture change is a massively important part of our development. See Compher, Joe. That's a significant development but it takes time.
* They brought in a high quality coach to fit with the more progressive development aspect of modern football. That takes time.
* They recognise we're lacking up front - every man and his dog can see that. I expect it will be addressed properly this summer.

I am not going to kowtow to the few who take their frustrations way beyond what is reasonable. I still maintain that if they expended as much energy supporting the club/team as they do jeering or gobbing off, we'd all be in a much better place. And no that doesn't make us 'happy clappy', it positions us to achieve whilst in the realm of reality.

The alternative is to continue complaining about a lack of instant success, see off another coach and then start the whole thing again.
Couldn't put it better myself.

My own thought is that we believed our own hype when we should have probably been more realistic at the start of the season.
We ended last season on a massive high after a spectacular run dragged us out of the clutches of the National League. Most of us thought we were dead and buried before Scally finally sold up.
The Galinsons spent more good money to mount a serious challenge this season and declared the play offs were a minimum objective.
As fans that was so different from the Scally era of managing down our expectations that we all (me included) got a bit carried away.
A bit more shocked when we lost.
A bit more disillusioned when we couldn't score.
Every League 2 club sets out to get promoted and we will be the same next season.
We have great owners. We have a good manager who now understands league 2 and will get the funds to improve the squad.
We missed out this season and Donny are now the club with the spectacular run. Next season we will be stronger. The play offs will still be the minimum expectation and Brad will be demanding a decent first 10 games for Clem to prove his public backing of him was fully justified.
I'll be there. Same seat, same ridiculous positivity.

I’m glad we’re not in the hunt for a PO place. Don’t think I could handle the stress! Saturday will be great to relax and enjoy the game, with hopefully a good atmosphere. I’ll stay behind after the game, because I always do. Not to clap the players for their efforts, but to get a last look at some who won’t be with us next season. Onwards and upwards 😊

Rumour has it Brad and Shannon are worth approx £80m, by football ownership standards that is not a great deal of money. Achieving success with a club of Gills size will take time. The fans must give them that time, and be patient.
The Galinsons investment in Gills was just that. Money invested to grow a product and increase it's worth. They will want the return on that investment to mature as quickly as we do as we should benefit from a better quality product.

The amount of people citing the words of a chairman new to English football as the reason for their disappointment this season is astonishing.

If you used that as your yardstick in setting your expectations for the season then you’re fucking daft.

True, but the bookies also had us 4th favourites so the expectation of a top 7 spot wasnt unreasonable

Expectations were high as we'd been sold the dream of the sleeping giant. I've always thought our potential has always that anyway pre-Galinsons, with a little investment. However the pre-season hype had us expecting more. From improvements for the ‘Town end’, the big screen, a team to be proud of. One by one it all came apart. No real Gillingham fan is unaware of where we were last season, and not grateful to have a football league team knocking on the door. But losing 18 games and a -9 or more goal difference should have had us no where near the play-offs. I'm already buying in to next season, the Gallinson’s will address what's needed and either SC or someone else will have a full preseason and summer window. My expectations are high as I'm sure many fans are. Next season has to be better, no exceptions.
UTG

It's impossible not to be extremely disappointed about the eventual outcome of this season.

Bottom line is that the season has not delivered the on field success desired by owners & fans alike.

This is not about arrogant entitlement but an honest, genuine response to reasonable expectations based upon the club's present status.

And this for me is the fundamental point. It's about the here & now for the club so comparing our position to what it was before the Galinsons arrived injecting money or where it would have been without them is for me irrelevant.

Fact is the final table doesn't lie & we've underachieved. In these circumstances an expression of annoyance & frustration is entirely justified I think.

Personally consider that the recriminations have only just started & the 'doom and gloom' will only worsen in the coming weeks.

True, but the bookies also had us 4th favourites so the expectation of a top 7 spot wasnt unreasonable
The bookies reflect the money being expended on bets.

If you go on any League Two forum, most other clubs fans had us down for one of the top spots as we had been taken over by Americans and therefore possibly minted and ready to splurge. Some would have backed that expectation with a flutter. Their problem.

They would not concern themselves with minute details like the fact we were only investing in players either without clubs or arriving from Orient, Crawley, Swindon and Stevenage while others where signing the likes of Powell (Stockport) McGoldrick (Notts County) and McClean (Wreck some). Even FGR signed Deeney.

I am sure there are many on those boards that are taking the p*ss now, but I didn't read any posts from Gills fans boasting that we were nailed on.

We have the players to have made it into the Playoffs, but they didn’t play as a team. Also, how many of our players gave their best in every game? That’s why I’m disappointed as to our final league position. But we’ll be top next season, so all will be well 😊

I dunno, there were plenty on here saying that anything other than promotion would be a failure after what we'd apparently spent regardless of what BG said
Those people were the type of people who think just because we have American owners, we are guaranteed to be the new Wrexham.

These people don't understand how football works

Those people were the type of people who think just because we have American owners, we are guaranteed to be the new Wrexham.

Also, by all accounts, Wrexham's wage bill this year was the highest in the league and in many cases more than double many of the teams they played. They have still lost 10 games and may finish 3rd. Money gets you - in all likelihood - a better calibre of player/squad, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Think that's a slight over exaggeration to be honest. Many of us are experienced football fans, cynical old lags in fact. Never for one minute was I thinking automatic promotion was a mere formality before the season kicked off. But equally never for one minute was I settling for a bang average mid table slot.